1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 33 Mk2

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Malcolm Mabbs, 18/7/16.

1. Hi all - thinking of buying one of these. Any tips on what to watch for would be very welcome!

Many thanks in advance.

2. Peter Sims

Peter Sims Peter Sims

Boat name:
    SIRI
    Boat type:
    Moody 44
    Cruising area:
    Ionian
    Hi Malcolm
    I thought someone with a Mk2 would have been along by now. I have a Mk1, same hull and most of deck the same but different layout.
    Obviously these boats are getting old so engine, standing rigging, etc.
    Look for water ingress around shroud bases and the condition of the bulkheads they are bolted to. Sealant tends harden allowing water in which can weaken the bulkheads. Sealant is easily fixed.
    Fuel tank is mild steel and prone to rust if not looked after.
    Condition of steering gear. On the Mk1 some are cable and some rod. Is there any play and what is the quadrant like.
    Age and condition of wiring and electrical / electronic equipment.
    They are good solid boats and probably the most important point is whether they have been generally maintained and updated over the years.
    Good luck with your search
    Regards
    Peter

3. Peter - thank you for your sole contribution, much appreciated. Obviously M33 Mk2's are pretty scarce so good investment!!?
    Again, many thanks...M

4. Nick Nottingham

Nick Nottingham Nick Nottingham

Boat name:
    KIANGA
    Boat type:
    Moody 33 MkII
    Cruising area:
    Solent
    Dear Malcolm - I have had the pleasure of owning, upgrading and sailing a Moody 33 Mk II for the last 9 years. Peter is absolutely right though - there is a huge difference between one which has been upgraded and looked after and one which has not. The former provide the best aspects of the sturdy original design with the best of modern comforts. There are a few on the market, such as mine

http://www.watersideboatsales.com/used-boats/boat-details.php?BoatID=5884983

but please do pm me if you would like any generic information. They are an excellent design and we have had much fun with ours.

Best wishes

Nick