1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 33 Rainwater Ingress

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Stephen Gorst, 12/9/16.

1. I have been looking at a Moody 33 1977 which has had some water ingress from the deck fittings. The price reflects the fact that I have to do some work but is it a difficult job or is the access to the bolts inside fairly easy.

Steve

2. Peter Sims

Peter Sims Peter Sims

Boat name:
    SIRI
    Boat type:
    Moody 44
    Cruising area:
    Ionian
    Hi Steve
    Many of the bolts are easy, some less so. Not much help I'm afraid but that's the way it is. I've just sold a 1996 M33. Most likely places for water ingress are:-
    - around chain plate fittings - easy to fix by rebedding the plates on deck
    - genoa track bolts. Fiddly but simple with someone to help
    - around windows. Not necessarily by where you see the water.
    Also water comes in through the anchor chain hawse pipe as the anchor locker drains into the bilge
    They are very good boats but need quite a lot of maintenance now.
    Regards
    Peter

3. Thanks for your help Peter.
    "The anchor locker drains into the bilge", wow is that what they are designed to do or is that something to fix. I can see a drain hole on the side by the bow and I thought that would be the anchor locker drain.
    I'm actually looking forward to this as a winter project. The boat appears to be sound I have taken her out in a force 5 and she sailed very well and everything worked with no issues.
    The leak my wife has spotted is in the rear port side corner of the rear cabin. I suspected a stanchion myself.
    All the best and I think I will be back here many times in the coming months

Steve

4. Peter Sims

Peter Sims Peter Sims

Boat name:
    SIRI
    Boat type:
    Moody 44
    Cruising area:
    Ionian
    Maybe I didn't put that too well given the anchor well on a M33! Should have said the chain locker drains into the bilge and, yes, it is designed to do that. The open topped anchor well drains overboard through the drains you can see.

5. Ok thanks for the explanation. The boat is moored in Scotland and there is no cover on the hawse pipe so I think its possible quite a lot of rain has gone down there.