General Moody 336 and 346 Information

Dominic Budd

Dominic Budd
Registered Guest
Dear All,

I currently own a Hustler 30 which is berthed in my home port of Mersea Island. I sail with my wife and two children and whilst we love our Hustler we are starting to outgrow her cabin/living accommodation. Having spent many months reviewing different boats we are extremely interested in and seriously considering either the Moody 336 or 346. I would be most grateful to receive any advice on either of these boats to assist me in my decision to purchase. Our normal cruising grounds are the East Coast, Suffolk rivers, Northern France and Holland. Being based on the East Coast a shallow draft, fin keel version would be preferable.

Many thanks in advance.

Dominic

Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams
Boat name
KYRA
Berth
Plymouth
Boat type
Moody 346
Cruising area
South Coast
Dominic,
Your choice of either a M336 or M346 really depends on whether you prefer an aft cockpit or centre cockpit boat.
My preference for family cruising is for a centre cockpit boat, ie the M346. It has a deep secure cockpit for children and spacious aft cabin giving, in effect, three separate cabins. You might also consider the newer (but therefore more expensive) M35.
Also bilge keels can be an advantage in tidal rivers and estuaries making it easy to take the ground if necessary.

Dominic Budd

Dominic Budd
Registered Guest
Jeff,

Many thanks, I appreciate your response.

The centre cockpit and layout of the M346 was certainly appealing when we viewed one a few weeks ago the cockpit appears to be a safe area for the children. That being said the M336 has a generous aft cabin and down below generally seems to be very roomy for a 33 foot. As we do more coastal and channel sailing the fin keel option would suit our needs better.

Would the performance and sailabilty be similar between the two and how do they handle in a reasonable sea above say F7?.

Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams
Boat name
KYRA
Berth
Plymouth
Boat type
Moody 346
Cruising area
South Coast
Dominic,
I expect they are both excellent sea-kindly boats; afterall they are Moodys. So performance is down to skipper & crew.
As far as a sea state in anything over F7; you would not find me considering anything above F5. Not because of the boat but I sail for pleasure not punishment and being retired am not sailing to a schedule, so can patiently wait for kinder conditions. ;)
I dare say there are many other Moody owners on this forum that can vouch for either the M336 or M346 in a reasonable sea above F7.

Robert Dow

Robert Dow
Boat name
SKY SONG OF DART
Berth
Sutton Marina, Plymouth
Boat type
Moody 336
Cruising area
South Devon Coast
Dominic
Ive owned a Moody 336 for 18 years and can vouch for a boat that sails well and feel safe even in a F7. However like Jeff I don't choose to head out in a F7 or above, but on the occasion Ive been caught out in one i had no concerns over the safety of the boat. I think you would find the Moody 336 sails a bit faster than a 346, or at least thats my experience in sailing alongside a friend with a 346.

Richard Readings

Richard Readings
Boat name
EMMIE
Berth
Parkstone Yacht Club
Boat type
Moody 336
Cruising area
English Channel
My preference for family cruising is for a centre cockpit boat, ie the M346. It has a deep secure cockpit for children
I would agree with Jeff that the 346 has a deep and secure cockpit, but the 336 cockpit is somewhat larger, probably the saloon too - useful if you have a few friends aboard!

Richard