1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 336 Rig And Ballast

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Mac Conin, 14/8/17.

1. Mac Conin

Mac Conin Mac Conin

Boat name:
    DALANG
    Berth:
    Wolphardsdijk
    Boat type:
    Moody 336
    Cruising area:
    North Sea
    Hello, I have two questions:

Maybe someone can tell me a little bit about a special rigging (the shrouds on a moody 336 - built 1000-something. See attachment 1 and 2. Is this usual (I guess not)? Or why someone did this.

Second question: in the salon are some bars of lead unter the seats on starboard (i've roughly calculated a weight of 300kg). There are some additional batteries on the boat, but mostly midship. What could cause such a need for such an additional ballast? We checked the boat but couldn't find a logic reason for that, despite of a heavily misshaped keel (boat was at visit in the water, lifting it out planned on a second visit).

Any information are really appreciated.
    (and sorry for my english)

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      203.1 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      144.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Mark Cady

Mark Cady Mark Cady

Boat name:
    BLUE MOON
    Berth:
    Wareham
    Boat type:
    Moody Eclipse 33
    Cruising area:
    Poole South Coast
    It looks from the photo that the inner wire is connected to a metal tube at mast base height. Was this so that the owner could lower the mast with this wire preventing sideways movement, No tabernacle (Hinge) is visible but I can see no other reason for this wire connected at that height.

3. Mac Conin

Mac Conin Mac Conin

Boat name:
    DALANG
    Berth:
    Wolphardsdijk
    Boat type:
    Moody 336
    Cruising area:
    North Sea
    This was what we thought, (see mast foot). The owner told us that the foot of the mast was not intended for lowering the mast (as far as he knew). But that seems the only reason for mast foot and this 'wiring'.

The second question is probably solved - its only ~100kg used to trim the boat with a full fuel tank and empty water tank.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      176.3 KB
      Views:
  4. Dick Holness

Dick Holness Dick Holness

Boat name:
    CANTATA
    Berth:
    Swale Marina, Kent
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    East Coast France Belgium Holland
    Hi Mac.
    Excellent English.
    Yes, that's all for mast lowering. I have never seen a mast foot like that but it is obviously deigned for lowering. It's a very heavy mast, not easy.
    The bars of lead - most Moodys lean to port slightly. The owner has tried to correct this.

5. Peter Wright

Peter Wright Peter Wright

Boat name:
    WILD THYME
    Berth:
    Suffolk Yacht Harbour
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
    Hi Mac,

It seems Dick's worked out the reason for the modification, but it concerns me that it looks like the forward lower shrouds have been moved as far aft as the aft lowers, which would adversely impact the mast's stability. Hard to be sure from these photos, but it warrants a close comparison with an unmodified M336.

Peter

6. Dick Holness

Dick Holness Dick Holness

Boat name:
    CANTATA
    Berth:
    Swale Marina, Kent
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    East Coast France Belgium Holland
    Good spot, Peter - as far as I know all M336s have fore and aft lowers.

7. Mac Conin

Mac Conin Mac Conin

Boat name:
    DALANG
    Berth:
    Wolphardsdijk
    Boat type:
    Moody 336
    Cruising area:
    North Sea
    Many thanks for your suggestions. We will check that but unfortunately is the boat not 'around the corner'. That'll take some days for a closer investigation. I have some more photos that we can check but, with respect to the current owner, cant show here.
    I'll keep you uptodate

8. Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles Neil Eccles Executive Committee

MOA Position:
    Website Editor
    Boat name:
    CUTAWAY
    Berth:
    Vannes
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
    Mac - the rig modifications are definitely one offs an were not part of the original specification. I would consult a rigger about whether they have altered the mast stability before committing.

The lead ballast - good idea but never heard it done. 300kg is 3 or more people you would be sailing with each time...........

Kindest

Neil

9. Mac Conin

Mac Conin Mac Conin

Boat name:
    DALANG
    Berth:
    Wolphardsdijk
    Boat type:
    Moody 336
    Cruising area:
    North Sea
    I've found two more images which perhaps makes it clearer.
    And there are NO signs of closed holes or any later modifications on the deck. My assumption is, that this was a custom built. There are some more things that let me think of that. There is a downlight built in/welded the boom over the cockpit, a roll reef main, electrical winches etc. This is the second owner of the boat and it seems that there were not much changes (despite of the extensive navigation equipment and autopilot, silver ion water filter etc). Overall the boat is in an excellent condition, no cracks, no spider cracks, no wears or anything you would see on a boat of this age.

Btw.: many thanks for your answers. I guess this boat will be mine ;)

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      673.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
  10. Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles Neil Eccles Executive Committee

MOA Position:
    Website Editor
    Boat name:
    CUTAWAY
    Berth:
    Vannes
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
    Good luck and when you become the owner don't forget to upgrade your membership of the association (for free of course)!

Kindest

Neil

11. Mac Conin

Mac Conin Mac Conin

Boat name:
    DALANG
    Berth:
    Wolphardsdijk
    Boat type:
    Moody 336
    Cruising area:
    North Sea
    I'll do my very best :)

12. Peter Wright

Peter Wright Peter Wright

Boat name:
    WILD THYME
    Berth:
    Suffolk Yacht Harbour
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
    Hi Mac,

Looking at those pics, I see that a babystay has ben added to fulfil the role of the forward lower shrouds - it's worth checking how the chainplate for that, just aft of the forehatch, has been secured. If there's a bulkhead just below the coachroof there, and the chainplate is secured to that it would be good.

The original chainplates for the forward lowers seem to have been used to secure the forward end of the unusual stainless tubes to which the third shrouds have been rigged, so there's no unused holes needing to be filled up.

I think it most unlikely that Marine Projects would have done this as a custom build, but whoever did the work had access to TIG welding equipment and an anodising plant, so the finished job looks fairly professional.

I suspect the hydraulic kicking strap is also a non standard addition.

Peter

13. Richard Readings

Richard Readings Richard Readings

Boat name:
    EMMIE
    Berth:
    Parkstone Yacht Club
    Boat type:
    Moody 336
    Cruising area:
    English Channel
    Can we assume the spreaders are standard?

Richard