1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 336

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by philip agg, 1/8/16.

1. I am looking to purchase a moody 336 if I can find a bilge keel version, can anyone tell me if there is any significant difference in sailing performance between fin or bilge.
    Phil

2. Dick Holness

Dick Holness Dick Holness

Boat name:
    CANTATA
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    East Coast France Belgium Holland
    Hi Phil,
    All the bilge-keel Moodys sail very well indeed, it's the case with the 336 and I don't thing there's a lot to tell between them and the fin version.
    Problem you may find is finding one! Moodys didn't build many of the bilge keel version - out of the 200 built between 1988-96 there was a legend that there were only 15 bilge keelers. I was looking for one for a long time and I sense there were actually more built than that, but they are certainly very rare on the market. I gave up and went larger!

3. Richard Readings

Richard Readings Richard Readings

Boat name:
    EMMIE
    Boat type:
    Moody 336
    Cruising area:
    English Channel
    According to the builders records that I found somewhere on this website there were 39 bilge keel 336's built. We were lucky enough to find one and are very pleased with it. I've noticed two or three bilge keel 336's arrive on the market in the last year, but all sold now I believe.
    I suspect that the fin keel version would point a bit higher, but we're cruising, not racing! A decent set of sails and a clean bottom would probably make more of a difference than the keel configuration. The bilge keels are a huge advantage in places like Poole harbour.
    Richard

4. Thank you for your replies, yes the bilge keel 336 seems to be popular and based on your comments about performance I think I will persevere with my search for a bilge keel version, I notice there are several bilge keel 346 centre cockpit models on the market, not sure how they compare but I guess they are more of a cruiser.
    Phil

5. Richard Readings

Boat name:
    EMMIE
    Boat type:
    Moody 336
    Cruising area:
    English Channel
    Depends if you like a (smaller,deeper) centre cockpit. I suspect that the 336 will have the edge on performance (e.g. longer waterline length) but I've yet to put this to the test!
    Richard

6. Thanks for reply Richard, I think you have confirmed what I was really thinking, I will keep an eye on the yacht market for a while, think it will be worth waiting for a 336 and purchase the right boat I hopefully will be happy with,

7. Paul Crickmore

Paul Crickmore Paul Crickmore

Boat name:
    JONIKA
    Boat type:
    Moody Eclipse 33
    Cruising area:
    UK West Coast
    Philip, I thought long and hard about what to buy, made lists of priorities, nice extras and strictly optionals, etc. to make sure I got the right boat first time as there were a half-dozen designs that ticked most of the boxes. I also put about 2000 miles on the car's clock in 6 weeks solely looking at various examples for sale (I normally do no more than 7000 in a year).
    My reasoning was that you'd always be a bit miffed every time you saw the boat you actually wanted, rather than the one you had. You'd be reluctant to invest in upgrades for the 'temporary' boat while waiting for the one of your dreams and you'd lose a lot of investment flogging the 'temporary' one in order to get the 'real' one, assuming you could sell in time. Or the boat of your dreams would come on the market two weeks after you completed. I'd suggest waiting unless it looks like you're going to run out of healthy and active life to sail.
    It took me the better part of three years from deciding to bite the bullet to finally purchasing Jonika. A few people have since said 'you'll want something bigger soon' or 'you'll want a fin keel next to go faster', etc., completely misunderstanding the sort of cruising I like to do! I don't regret the wait in the slightest, nor the purchase.
    Best of luck,
    Paul

James Macbeth likes this.
  8. Morning Paul, Yes I think your reasoning is spot on, I have taken early retirement and I have a fairly clear idea of the type of sailing I want to do over the next few years, having done the 38ft fin keel performance thing for quite a few years I now want the ability to explore shallower harbours, French and Dutch canals etc and I think the Moody 336 bilge keel will fit the bill.

Regards Phil

9. Richard Readings

Boat name:
    EMMIE
    Boat type:
    Moody 336
    Cruising area:
    English Channel

10. Hello Richard,

Yes I had spoken with the owner prior to him advertising but he lives away from the area its moored in so waiting for a chance to liaise with him when he is down on the boat.

Just out of interest there is one called Liona in Cornwall I have looked over and pondering its a mk2 1994, they do seem to command a somewhat higher price than the fin keel versions, there seems to be quite a few more fin keeled available at a variety of prices.

Many Thanks for the thread

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: 18/9/16
  11. Richard Readings

Boat name:
    EMMIE
    Boat type:
    Moody 336
    Cruising area:
    English Channel
    Philip,

Just heard of another bilge keel 336 coming up for sale - are you still looking for one?

Richard

12. Hello Richard, Thank you for your post,.potentially yes, having said that my sale fell through at the last minute so I was intending to wait until spring time to readvertise my Benetuea but if the right boat came up I would be interested. Is this boat actually on the market?
    Phil

13. Richard Readings

Boat name:
    EMMIE
    Boat type:
    Moody 336
    Cruising area:
    English Channel