Moody 34 Moody 34/346 fin or Twin Keel

Jeremy Lamb

Jeremy Lamb
Registered Guest
Hi. I would really appreciate any views on the difference in performance between the fin and twin keel. My reason for considering the twin keel are more cost effective swinging mooring, beaching to clean and access to more sheltered anchorages. However I am concerned that when out sailing I will regret not having the fin keel. I can't find any reviews on the sailing performance of the twin. Also any recommendations on a yard/mechanic around chichester to look after the ageing thornycroft - and to teach me some maintenance!.
thank you in advance.
Jeremy

Chris Burn

Chris Burn
Boat name
Cristobella
Boat type
Moody 34
Cruising area
North Wales / Irish Sea
Hello Jeremy, I had many similar questions before getting our 34, and ended up with a bilge keeler, and although I am biased, it's great !!!! you lose a small few degrees into wind, and maybe a knot speed broad reaching, .... perhaps more, and the same speed down wind.
A 34 isn't really about speed, it will sail at 6 to 7 knots, and is fun to sail, and then add tidal stream and you make 6 knots or more on passage , although I bank on 5 knots for planning and just arrive a little early. What you do get with a 34 is a roomy comfy yacht, quite strong, good looking and reasonably easy to look after with a few diy skills, and this forum is the best mine of information you will find, ....... all problems can be solved, others have found out how.
The Thorny engines can go on for ages if looked after, and are easy enough to work on, replacement would be quite a big job though, but that isn't a specific Moody 34 issue.
Bilge keels do allow creek crawling, and shallow anchoring along with the access to underwater areas without a lift out (£400 near me) and if you do get everything badly wrong ...... it will sit upright until the water comes back.
Steerage astern does take a bit of getting used to, ...... but the fins are I understand not all that much better, you just use a technique to deal with it, and it doesn't stop me going astern.
The aft cabin is a dream, yes you have to stoop low to get in, but I have yet to see a 34 footer with better accommodation, great for 2 to 4 people..... 2 couples or perhaps a family.
34 v 346 ...... I have never owned a 346, so others can inform, but they are essentially the same boat, the 346 has a little step/scoop on the back and is the newer version ...... also a M34 will cost you about 30 -35 K a M346 more like 40-50 K so which you fancy could depend on the pocket.
Both have a few known issues, and some fixing up, refitting and upgrading is to be expected with yachts of 30 plus years, mine keeps me busy, but that's half the fun.
Good luck finding a nice one.

Jeremy Lamb

Jeremy Lamb
Registered Guest
Chris thanks very much thats a really helpful response and what i wanted to hear, with a young family and a dog drying out on the beach could be really handy. Seeing another this weekend so fingers crossed, all the best. Jeremy

Jeremy Lamb

Jeremy Lamb
Registered Guest
One other question you may be able to help me with, in your experience would it be ok on a drying mooring? I assume they are steady enough... thanks

Chris Burn

Chris Burn
Boat name
Cristobella
Boat type
Moody 34
Cruising area
North Wales / Irish Sea
As steady as the sea bed it sits on, no tipping when you roam around on the deck dried out.
We have a drying mooring for occasional weekends, but keep afloat most of the time, drying out will take a toll on the keel paintwork ........ but that is not Moody specific issue, and you won't be paying the £4000 a year in the marina so should be able to afford the paint. I would think a floating mooring would be better if available, and then dry out when you want to for maintenance etc. Floating moorings will also give a greater time span to go sailing , many drying moorings can be quite limiting on getting out for a sail, and then you stay out for a tide, or go visit somewhere with water until your drying mooring gets wet again ..... solar/ wind power to keep the batteries up is a must on the drying/ swinging moorings unless you can give her a run every few weeks. all part of the game, and the choice is only for you to decide, plenty to think about.