1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 34 Excel

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Patrick Farrell, 18/10/16.

1. Patrick Farrell

Patrick Farrell Patrick Farrell

Boat name:
    KERI KERI
    Boat type:
    Moody 31 MkI
    Cruising area:
    Uk & France
    Does anyone have any comments about these? How do they sail, what is the build quality etc.
    Many thanks

2. Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles Neil Eccles Executive Committee

MOA Position:
    Website Editor
    Boat name:
    CUTAWAY
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
    Hi Patrick - I had a look at one with a friend who had 346 many years ago. It looked fine. We haven't heard of any problems in the forum. Sorry for lack of detail

Kindest

Neil

3. Dick Holness

Dick Holness Dick Holness

Boat name:
    CANTATA
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(90s)
    Cruising area:
    East Coast France Belgium Holland
    Hi Patrick,
    Not sure you'll get an answer to this one, I only ever recall seeing one owner pop up on the forum recently with a query. According to David Moody's 'Moody Legacy' records book, only 4 were built.
    In case you weren't aware, the Excels were built at Prouts on Canvey Island, although they were still Bill Dixon designs. I had been previously told that the Excel 34 was very similar to the 346, the latter certainly being still very popular, but looking at the figures in the boat archive on this site (http://moodyowners.org/home/moody-boat-archive/) quite a few of the statistics seem different.
    As for sailing qualities, any boat designed by Bill Dixon seems to sail pretty well.
    Not much help, sorry.