1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 34 Or 346 General Questions

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Steve Parry, 7/11/16.

1. Steve Parry

Steve Parry Steve Parry Registered Guest

Hi All,
    I have been a Westerly owner for the past 29 years (yes I know wash my mouth out with soap and water!) I am looking at moving up from a 31 footer to 34/35 footer and two of the boats on my list are the Moody 34 and the later 346. The questions I have are:

1. I have been onboard a friends 346 and I hit my head twice when going into the aft cabin(should learn by ones' mistakes!) I found it a bit low. Looking at some pictures of the Moody 34 (I haven't been onboard one yet) the entrance into the aft cabin seems to be a bit taller, is this so?

2. Stowage in the main cabin under the bunks is not good as the water tanks are there, Has anyone fitted new water tank elsewhere so that you get more storage in the main cabin.

3. Are the water tanks in the Moody 34 the same as the 346?

4. Are there any more difference between the 34 and the 346?

5. Which one would you recommend and why?

Hope I haven't asked too many question but I am a Westerly owner!!

Regards

Steve Parry

2. Pete Rowland

Pete Rowland Peter Rowland

Boat name:
    APRIL LASS
    Boat type:
    Moody 31 MkII
    Cruising area:
    Solent
    Steve, we have a M31 so can't answer some of the queries, but I would think carefully about the swim platform on the 346. Our Moody has one and it makes getting in and out of the dinghy so much easier particularly if you are anchored and its a little bouncy.

There is a M346 in the Solent Branch with a large water tank in the bow giving a total of 400L all together. Fitted for an ocean voygage that didn't happen and then sold to the current owners, so it can be done. However, think about the balance of the yacht both from side to side and fore and aft. Lots of weight in the bow won't be good.

Pete

3. Steve Parry

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply....food for thought. I think I was put off the 346 after hitting my head twice!
    However, I might be able to learn to duck my head after hitting it day after day! Hopefully?

Regards

Steve

4. Peter Wright

Peter Wright Peter Wright

Boat name:
    WILD THYME
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
    Hi Steve,

Interesting, My previous boat was a Westerly Storm which served us well both cruising and racing for many years. One of the few features I didn't like about her was the location of water tanks nder forward and aft berths. High density stuff like water belongs amidships, not in her ends, which can then be used for low density stuff like bedding. I would be amazed if someone chose to move water tanks into the ends of a yacht.

Head hitting is made worse by wearing any sort of headgear with a peak as demonstrated by studies of the ubiquitous industrial safety helmet. In the case of baseball caps, an added downside is that it drives the central button into the skull, inflicting a worse injury than if you had not been wearing the cap but still hit your head.

Peter

5. Steve Parry

HI Peter,
    Thanks for post. The water tanks issue is a minor problem for me, but hitting my head especially when going for the OAP wee (x 3!!) in the middle of the night does!

I was hoping someone with a Moody 34 (pre runner of the 346) would answer the question ref the access into the aft - Is it bigger?
    I will just have to wait for that.

Regards

Steve

6. Stewart Todd

Stewart Todd Stewart Todd

Boat name:
    SHIANERO
    Boat type:
    Moody 35
    Cruising area:
    West Coast Scotland
    One of the reasons we went for the 35 over the 346 was the access to the heads from the aft cabin. Saved a lot grief from the crew through the night.;)

7. Clive Roberts

Clive Roberts Clive Roberts

Boat name:
    CHARISMA
    Boat type:
    Moody 34
    Cruising area:
    Irish Sea
    Steve
    The access height to the rear cabin in the 34 is identical to the 346, in fact, the whole boat is, apart from the bathing platform ( hence the "6" ) and a few minor details. I have owned ours for eight years and still bang my head.

8. David Trevail

David Trevail David Trevail

Boat name:
    DAVID TREVAIL
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    Channel Coast
    Steve
    I´m 6ft 2 and bang my head mainly at the bows because i assume its much higher than in my aft cabin!!!
    The sugar scoop is a real bonus!
    kind regards
    Dave

9. Steve Parry

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies and comments.It sounds as if the banging of one's head on the 34/346 is an added extra on the boat!! As we spend 3 to 4 months away in the summer I think my head would take a beating and I would more than likely end up in Hospital!

Therefore, we don't think this boat is for us. Its a shame but I value my head!

Regards

Steve and Ferne Parry - Yacht WALKABOUT

10. David Rymer

David Rymer David Rymer

Boat name:
    CARIAD
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    South West
    Steve,
    I find that the access to the aft cabin is not a problem, a couple of hits at the beginning of the season and then I know where it is. We looked at a 35, but found a lot less storage space than the 346, and you loose the huge cockpit locker. Other differences not yet mentioned are that the 346 seem to all have a Thorneycroft T80 Mitsubishi K4 based engine whilst the 34 uses a BMC based, older engine.
    We love our 346, and enjoy the space and comfort with two aboard.
    Regards
    David

11. Steve Parry

Thank you David for your input, all this information we are getting is useful for us for when we come to make a choice. I am still a bit concerned about access to the aft cabin but most comments so far is; You get use to it!

Regards
    Steve

12. Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles Neil Eccles Executive Committee

MOA Position:
    Website Editor
    Boat name:
    CUTAWAY
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
    Hi Steve - why not look at a Moody 35 or if the price is right a Moody 376. The headroom is more and you might find the whole thing a little more comfortable.

The 35 is a more modern boat than the 346, although the storage is not as good, it is adequate. The heads, aft cabin are much nicer and the aft cabin bed can be increased in size with a bit of woodwork.

Kindest

Neil

13. Steve Parry

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply.
    I might consider looking at a 35 if the price is right, some of the 35's have sail drive I believe, which I am not keen on. However, it might be worth a punt if I can find a shaft driven one.

On the 376 front. My current marina mooring can only take up to 36 foot max, hence looking at yachts between 33 and 35 foot at present, otherwise, YES I would go for one!!

Regards

Steve

14. Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles Neil Eccles Executive Committee

MOA Position:
    Website Editor
    Boat name:
    CUTAWAY
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
    Hi Steve,

That is new to me - I didn't know that some 35s had sail drives. Just to reassure you, we have one on our boat and there is no problem - it is easier in many ways. No engine alignment required, less prop walk etc...

Good luck

Kindest

Neil

15. Steve Parry

HI Neil,
    Yes I was surprised, but a good friend of mine who is a Marine Engineer in the village(IOW) who actually owns a Moody 346 called Whisper told me that the 35's were a mixture of shaft and sail drive depending on the year built. There is a 35 down in Dartmouth with a shaft drive (believe it to be built 95)

Anyway onwards and upwards....keep looking!

Regards

Steve Parry