Moody 346 Moody 346 Bilge Keel - Any thoughts?

George Amies

Temporary Member
I trust this message finds everyone well. I'm considering the purchase of a Moody 346, specifically the bilge keel variant, and would greatly appreciate your insights and experiences.

Firstly, I'm interested in how it sails. For those who've spent time with this model, how well does it sail to windward? What kind of upwind angle does it make? I'm particularly curious about how it compares to the fin keel variant. Also, could you share your experiences about the speed in different weather conditions?

Next, I'd like to discuss drying out. How does the Moody 346 sit on her two keels? Is there a tendency to rock or tip onto the bow? Does it also sit on the rudder, requiring extra care or attention? Are there any specific areas on the keels that I should inspect for potential damage prior to purchase? Is keel splaying an issue with this model?

For the interior, what is the headroom like? As a person of 5'11", I'm particularly keen to know about the saloon and the aft cabin spaces.

Another important factor for me is hardiness. My initial plan is to keep the boat on a tidal drying mooring on the Norfolk coast, but I dream of eventually sailing to the Caribbean. Do you believe the Moody 346 is suitable for such blue water cruising, particularly the bilge keel? If any of you have fount yourself heavy weather and breaking waves with this model, I'd love to hear about your experiences.

While on the topic of potential issues, have any of you encountered particular snags with this model? Are there any areas prone to damage? Also, I'm curious about the performance of the original Thornycroft engine.

I'm quite fond of the Moody's centre cockpit and large aft cabin design, but I'm also open to alternatives. While I anticipate the bilge keel would be beneficial initially, my long-term sailing plans may align better with a fin keel. I welcome suggestions for other boats fitting these criteria.

To provide a bit of context, I have been sailing all my life, yachting for the past 8 years, and earned my Yachtmaster offshore early in my journey. Despite having cruised extensively in the Med and even spent a season as a flotilla skipper, ocean sailing remains relatively uncharted territory for me. So far, my experiences have been primarily on modern fin keel yachts, so I'm eager to learn more about bilge keels.

I'm planning to take a look at a Moody 346 in the next few weeks. Your thoughts, insights, or suggestions are highly valued and appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom.

Back