1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 346 Bilge Keel

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Colin James, 28/8/16.

1. Hello All - I am seriously considering buying a 1988 Moody 346 bilge keel as I do like the accommodation and idea of getting into some shallower estuary waters and the ability to dry out. It will be my first boat ownership (charter and friends only to date). However picked up various comments on the net about sailing performance disadvantages of the bilge keel - some negative some positive. I will be sailing uk south coast waters and would welcome any feedback from other 346 owners in this regard. Also the yacht I am looking at has been lightly used and the original Thornycroft 35hp engine looks in superb condition - any views on the longevity and reliability of this engine would also be most welcome. Thanks in anticipation. Colin

2. Peter Sims

Peter Sims Peter Sims

Boat name:
    SIRI
    Boat type:
    Moody 44
    Cruising area:
    Ionian
    Hi Colin
    I can't comment on the 346 but I have just sold my 1976 M33 with the original Thornycroft T90 running well. In 6 years of ownership I replaced the heat exchanger, raw and fresh water pumps and the fuel lift pump.
    They need quite a lot of preheating but mine always started well after 30 seconds. It didn't smoke or use any oil. Parts are easily available.
    Good luck with the purchase
    Peter

3. Alan King

Alan King Alan King

Boat name:
    ANADYR
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    West Country / Brittany
    I share a 1988 fin keel 346 based in Brittany. It has the original Thornycroft T80D. We have had the boat since 2008.
    Currently, runs well but we have looked after it.
    We now have an electric fuel pump as the old mechanical failed. A replacement GRP 'silencer' as the old stainless one failed. A new tek-tanks fuel tank as the old mild steel one failed. A new control panel. The exhaust elbow is another well documented failure point - it blocks up. We do our own servicing - oil, filters, impeller and recently the injectors.
    Have been contemplating replacement with a Beta 35 - but concluded that if it is not broke - don't fix it.
    As Peter says, pre-heating is the key - in our case 15 seconds. First time start and no smoke.
    Now that I have said this - I hope ours works next Sunday.
    You will find an absolute mine of information on the website but 28 year old boat and engine - ours works but we are already planning for the inevitable. A DIY engine change - you should budget about £8,000.
    Good luck,
    Alan King

4. Pete Rowland

Pete Rowland Peter Rowland

Boat name:
    APRIL LASS
    Boat type:
    Moody 31 MkII
    Cruising area:
    Solent
    Colin, we sail a M31. However, I suspect that the difference between a bilge keel yacht and a fin will be marginal, the fin pointing slightly higher and perhaps slightly less leeway. So for racing around the cans on a Sunday morning there would be a difference which is taken into account with the handy cap rating.

Back in in the real world I doubt you could tell what sort of keel a yacht had just by sailing. In addition The retired couple on a M346 out for a gentle cruise across the Solent are going to be over taken by a party of men trying to reach Cowes before the pubs close. Finally the condition / age of the sails probably has a greater effect than the keels.

Having owned our bilge keeled M31 for 8 years at no point did I wish for a fin, particularly when we moor up at places like the Quay in Keyhaven, Ashlett Creek, The RVYC in Fishborne and so it goes on.

5. David Warren

David Warren David Warren Executive Committee

Boat name:
    APRIL MIST
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    Solent /South Coast
    Hello Colin, I owned a 1990. 346 bilge keel for 10 years. Extensive South coast sailing plus through the French canals/rivers to and back to the Med. in F4, sails well at all points. Need to reef at high F4 when apparent wind 20knots from forward of beam. Generally best boat speed at 45 degrees off wind. In light airs tacking needs to be very positive to avoid stall.
    My engine was original Thorneycroft 80D. Very happy at 2000 rpm giving 5-6knots. Good fuel economy of about 1.5 litres per hour at 2000 rpm. Never gave any problems but bleeding fuel lines can be a pain with original mechanical pump (I fitted a squeeze bulb between first filter an pump to assist). Poor fuel consumption, lack of ability to achieve high rpm can be due to corrosion build up in exhaust elbow. Otherwise a lovely, if noisy motor that I expected to go on for ever!

6. Thanks Pete - feedback much appreciated

7. Thanks for all the prompt feedback above - much appreciated. I hope to be an official Moody Owner in the very near future!

8. Hello David - thank you for the feedback - most useful. One other question if I may - did you have any problems with the bilge keels / keel bolts on your 346? A survey report has raised some concerns about minor rust staining around the keel joints on the one I am interested in and I have been quoted a substantial sum to remove, check and re-bed the keels! Could you perhaps recommend any 'moody' experienced shipwrights in the Solent area that might give me a second opinion before I dive in? Many thanks Colin

9. David Warren

David Warren David Warren Executive Committee

Boat name:
    APRIL MIST
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    Solent /South Coast
    Hi Colin,
    In short - no. The only keel bolts visible without removing the water tanks are the aft 2 each side. (Port under shower tRay and under rear of port water tank and starboard under sink). The nuts in my boat had significant flaking of glass cover and minor corrosion of nuts themselves. I wire brushed down to shiney metal which in fact only removed a surface coating of rust, then painted with Hammerite. I had my water tanks out for refurbishment and the forward keel bolts were in the same condition.
    Some minor cracking at forward edge of hull where keels meet but this was identified as superficial stress related and easily ground out and filled. Never any rust streaks but filler between keels and hull strips out in places and have seen seen discolouration possibly caused by corrosion.
    Hope this helps.

10. Thanks David - much appreciated and my close inspection today indicated similar scenario. I also closed the deal today so should be part of the Moody Owners Community by end of next week. Thanks again for the feedback. Will be calling in to MOA stand at the boat show later this month! Cheers Colin