Moody 346 Moody 346 / Liveaboard / Headroom

Martine Loeffen

Martine Loeffen
Registered Guest
Dear all,

I'm seriously considering upgrading my current 29' boat to a Moody 346. There aren't that many on the market here, but I've got time ...

A Moody (30) owner here in my marina told me theirs, and most other, Moody's are double-scaled (I hope that's the correct translation) and therefor perfect liveaboard boats as they stay pretty dry even in Dutch winters.
I can't find any information in this, but it would be a pretty big plus if correct. Any more information would be very welcome!

Secondly, I'm wondering if anyone would be willing and able to post cabin hights / head room, especially the corridor to the aft cabin.

Thank you all very much in advance for any help!

Kind regards from the Netherlands :)
Martine

Clive Roberts

Clive Roberts
Boat name
CHARISMA
Berth
Bangor North Wales
Boat type
Moody 34
Cruising area
Irish Sea
I am a vertically challenged 5' 7 inches and can stand upright in the fore cabin, saloon and under the hatch in the after cabin. However, I have to stoop in the corridor and even after ten years, still crack my head on the after cabin door frame. I always was a slow learner!

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Martine,

You won't find a walk through passage in a boat of that size which doesn't require you to duck your head passing through doorways. I'm only 173 cm and I have to duck to get through the doorways on our Moody 425. I also crack my head a few times at the beginning of each season but then I learn and am OK until the next season starts. I guess if I lived aboard, I wouldn't have to go through the learning each year!

I'm guessing that by "double scaled" you mean lined with an air space between the hull and the lining, in which case the answer is yes, most Moodys are like this. Insulation can be improved by taking off the lining (or furniture) and gluing closed cell foam to the hull . Don't be tempted to use open cell foam as it will absorb water. Some sort of heating system is essential to make the boat habitable in a British winter, so I expect that's the same in the Netherlands.

Peter

Pete Rowland

Peter Rowland
Boat name
APRIL LASS
Berth
Gosport
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Solent
Martine, I agree with Peter. We moved on board in February whilst having some serious building work done on the house. We thought that at the end of February the worst of the winter will be over and it will be fine. Turns out we chose the coldest winter in 27 years to live on board. The boat was freezing when we moved her into a marina and we had a condensation problem for 24 hours. However, once the electric radiator and warm air diesel heating had dried out the boat by day 2, despite the ice and snow on the deck we were very warm. The thermometer reached 77f at one point before I turned the heating down a bit.

If you are going to live on board all year round then plan on adding a full cockpit cover. It won't be cheap but will give you another room for wet gear and wellies etc. Also allows you to open the hatch whilst cooking but not letting in cold air and rain etc. Something like this:

http://www.tecsew.com/images/stories/Cockpit_Enclosure_Brochure.pdf

Martine Loeffen

Martine Loeffen
Registered Guest
Thank you all!

Yes, I expect some head ducking is involved in the corridor - that's fine. Just don't want to have to crawl ;)

Happy to hear most Moody's have that air space; my current boat doesn't and it gets too wet in winter, no matter what I do. Dutch winters are just as wonderful as the UK ones ;)

David Trevail

David Trevail
Boat name
DAVID TREVAIL
Berth
Oud-Loosdrecht
Boat type
Moody 346
Cruising area
Channel Coast
Dear all,

I'm seriously considering upgrading my current 29' boat to a Moody 346. There aren't that many on the market here, but I've got time ...

A Moody (30) owner here in my marina told me theirs, and most other, Moody's are double-scaled (I hope that's the correct translation) and therefor perfect liveaboard boats as they stay pretty dry even in Dutch winters.
I can't find any information in this, but it would be a pretty big plus if correct. Any more information would be very welcome!

Secondly, I'm wondering if anyone would be willing and able to post cabin hights / head room, especially the corridor to the aft cabin.

Thank you all very much in advance for any help!

Kind regards from the Netherlands :)
Martine
Hi there
Just noticed your question and see that you are from the Netherlands.
I have just recently put my 346 on the market and have her based in Volendam.If you would like to try out the heights for yourself then you would be more than welcome to come over and take a look.; )
Kind regards
Dave Trevail