1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 346 Ocean-going?

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Willem Gerritsen, 7/11/17.

1. Willem Gerritsen

Willem Gerritsen Willem Gerritsen Registered Guest

Is a Moody 346 capable of crossing the atlantic? Have people done this before ? Who has expierience with this? kind regards Willem Gerritsen.

2. Duncan Hall

Duncan Hall Duncan Hall

Boat name:
    GOOSE
    Berth:
    Mayflower, Plymouth
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    South Coast
    I have a friend from Cardiff Yacht Club that has done a full Atlantic circuit in a Moody 31 so a 346 should be easier!
    Another member did a complete circumnavigation in a Moody 33.

3. John Mullan

John Mullan John Mullan

Boat name:
    PASCAL
    Berth:
    Alameda, California
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    Pacific West Coast
    Hi Willem, I had a look on the Moody Owners register and of the 200-odd M34/M346 boats, 14 are based in North America. Although our own boat came by ship from Southampton to San Francisco Bay, I expect quite a few have crossed the Atlantic under their own power. One is heading down the West Coast at the moment to the Tropics. From our own more limited experience, I would say the 346 is a very seaworthy and tough boat although you might want to check that the lines are led aft, and consider what sails to carry. Good luck.

4. Willem Gerritsen

Willem Gerritsen Willem Gerritsen Registered Guest

Thanks fot this information. Of course these yachts are of respectable age and need a good refit to do such a thing.