1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 346 Questions.

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Charlie McKenzie, 24/8/16.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi All,
    Looking at buying a Moody 346. Is there a lazaret on the port side? Can anyone provide a picture? Where is the engine compartment? How do they sail?

Thanks,

Charlie

2. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Jeff Williams

Boat name:
    KYRA
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    South Coast
    Hi Charlie,
    Welcome to MOA.
    The M346 does not have a lazaret but does have a large cockpit locker on the port side which contains the fuel tank and usually (if heating is fitted) the Eberspacher.
    They sail very well. Are you interested in a bilge keel or in keel version?
    The M346 is centre cockpit and the engine compartment is beneath the cockpit and has good access for engine maintenance.
    My M346 is bilge and is currently for sale. I would be happy to show her to you anytime convenient. She is moored on the river Exe on the south coast of Devon. (see MOA boats for sale http://moodyowners.info/threads/for-sale-m346-1989-bilge-keel.12942/ )
    I can give more info and send pictures my phone number is 07786318498
    Regards
    Jeff

Last edited: 24/8/16
  3. Hi Jeff:

Thanks for the response. I am based in the US and looking for a boat over here. There are not many around in North America. I may be in the UK in October if so would you care to go out for a sail?

Being 'merican we use the term lazaret much more loosely so would consider the cockpit locker a lazaret. LOL. Is it big enough to store sails and fenders and such? I guess that would depend on having an a heater or not.

Fair Winds,

Charlie

4. Jeff Williams

Boat name:
    KYRA
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    South Coast
    Hi Charlie,
    The cockpit locker is very large - enough for 2 persons to crawl into if they desired. Many owners stow their inflatable dinghy in the locker (I tow mine). Yes it will hold many fenders as well; also deck scrubbers, boat hooks buckets, mooring lines etc. I would not recommend the locker for sails because it holds the fuel tank and fuel prefilter and dinghy and fenders can be dirty when stowed. The eberspacher diesel heater is quite a compact unit and mine is in the port locker but tucked up under the side deck with the exhaust in the cockpit coaming. I also have a calorifier under the floor of my locker which provides hot water. So you can tell the locker is vast !

An interesting (?) fact about the Moody 346 is they have an inherent list to port which is increased if a lot of heavy gear is stowed in the port locker. I have overcome this by adding internal ballast and spare anchor in the starboard bilge/lockers.

Would love to meet up if you wish during your visit but my 346 will probably be ashore for the winter (if not sold by then) but I'm always ready for a good "natter" about boats and sailing experiences.
    Regards
    Jeff

5. Paul Crickmore

Paul Crickmore Paul Crickmore

Boat name:
    JONIKA
    Boat type:
    Moody Eclipse 33
    Cruising area:
    UK West Coast
    Hi Jeff, sorry to gatecrash; what ballast did you use and where did you install it? My Eclipse 33 has the same list and although a different design, ideas would be useful to try and correct it.
    Regards,
    Paul

6. Jeff Williams

Boat name:
    KYRA
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    South Coast
    Hi Paul,
    I used bags of sand (sealed in heavy duty plastic) as ballast as it is easy to shape into awkward places. The M346 has a starboard galley with several low down lockers which we had no real use for so I stuffed them with some bags of sand. I also lined the bottom of the starboard lockers in the saloon behind the water tank. The bags of sand and the spare anchor in the starboard locker were enough to bring her upright. Actually if my diesel tank (situated in the port cockpit locker) is completely empty (which of course it never is) the boat would probably have a slight list to starboard.

Paul Crickmore likes this.
  7. David Trevail

David Trevail David Trevail

Boat name:
    DAVID TREVAIL
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    Channel Coast
    Hi Charlie
    I have just returned from a week´s cruise with my wife and 5 year old daughter, we were up near Amsterdam on our 1989 Moody 346 fin keel. I took ownership only 4 weeks ago and this was the first real test for us, all I can say is that she out-performed any expectations I had and sailed really well.I used to race boats of this size and bigger and know what to expect when sailing in anything from 10 to 20 knots of wind and she performed so well that I was grinning most of the time!!
    Take my advice,if this is the size of boat you are looking for and it fits your budget,
    Try one and Buy one!! ; )
    Kind Regards
    Dave.

8. Paul Crickmore

Paul Crickmore Paul Crickmore

Boat name:
    JONIKA
    Boat type:
    Moody Eclipse 33
    Cruising area:
    UK West Coast
    Hi Jeff,
    sandbags sounds like a good idea - I'll have a look in out of the way spaces and under the saloon floor.
    Regards, Paul

9. David Trevail

David Trevail David Trevail

Boat name:
    DAVID TREVAIL
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    Channel Coast
    Hello all
    I have the same problem with a list to port (recently purchased 346 fin keel) and this if left would drive me insane. I drive a VW T5 bus and that doesn't have a list port either and if it did I think as would everyone else would,this is not acceptable.!!;)
    The long term solution will be to relocate some fixed/essential ´on board weight´ i.e. fuel tank water tanks waste holding tank etc..But in the meantime ...............
    I have checked on prices for lead shot or divers lead but was put off by the price.I will firstly purchase a new
    (spare/emergency)anchor and chain and store that in a suitable space on the port side and compliment that with some extra weight which will be effectively sand bags but the sand will be the left over product from a sand blasting company which is actually a metal sand aggregate mix.This stuff is usually a byproduct and can be picked up cheap or even for free.The big advantage over normal sand is the fact that it is much much heavier!!! and that means you need less of it to solve the problem! I have made up the first bag which weighs in at 34 kg and is only 650cm x 24cm x 8cm
    I will get this and the new anchor and chain stowed away and see how much more weight is required,even if a lot more weight is necessary it won't cost much to do so! At least this way I will be a level headed sailor for the remainder of this season and not one that looks like he's had one too many on the port side!!
    Regards Dave;)

10. Guy Marlow

Guy Marlow Guy Marlow

Boat name:
    PURA VIDA
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    Gulf of Mexico, Florida Keys, Bahamas
    Hi Charlie, I have just listed my 346 in this forum . Based in Punta Gorda, FL . ( see posting yesterday) guy.marlow@gmail.com

11. Good day everyone,

I also look for a Moody 346 CC (from 1990).
    Someone in a german forum told me already to check the keel bolts (if original made only from steel),
    the screws of the shroud plates (is that the right term? [the screws that fix the shouds IN the boat] sry for my english),
    also the plate of the babystay (headstay?) could be to thin, also unthight windows and at last the water tank tending to osmosis (if not steel).

Any other known weak possibilities to check in particular beside a normal checkup?
    Mac

12. Richard Readings

Richard Readings Richard Readings

Boat name:
    EMMIE
    Boat type:
    Moody 336
    Cruising area:
    English Channel
    Mac,

All good advice. You might want to inspect the (mild steel) fuel tank too.

Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.