Moody 35 Moody 35 - issues to watch out for?

• Thread starter Pearce O Shea
  • Start date
P

Pearce O Shea

I am looking at a 1994 moody 35, v impressed so far and if you have any advice on any issues specific to this model that I need to watch for, I intend sailing to Med. I noted some advice re: water ingress at chainplates - and would appreciate any other tips. Thanks.
Pearce.

Hi Pearce,

The chainplate issue you picked up on is probably the most serious, if left unaddressed for too long. The sealant under the little sealing plates dries out over the years so they start leaking. This let's water into the balsa deck core and the Marine ply part bulkhead to which the chainplate is bolted. In extremis, the marine ply goes soggy, letting the bolts tear through it. Use a straight edge on the deck around the chainplates - any bulge you find needs explaining and rectifying.

Other issues are rusty keel bolts (studs actually) which seem to concern young surveyors who have never seen any material other than stainless steel for this purpose, but rarely amount to a major problem and delaminating"teak" in the cockpit, which was originally teak faced ply. By now it's likely to have been replaced by solid teak or one of the modern teak substitutes such as Flexiteak.

Of course, these are old boats now, so if she has been well used many parts may be in need of replacement, are the hatches and portlights watertight, is the glazing crazed, how is the engine, the electronics? When was the standing rigging last replaced? None of these points is Moody specific. The key point is that the condition of a boat of this age has more to do with how she's been looked after than how she was built.

Peter.

Couldn't resist commenting Peter's last sentence:
Moody's hulls seem to have been built well, so the "main structure" is typically quite good. There are a few known spots, of which I would still add the (non-stainless) fuel tank - the bottom can become surprisingly rusty (up to failure). It is difficult to see, you might need some aid like mirror, mobile phone camera etc.
But other than that, look at the "wear & tear" parts, which might include also the gas installation (e.g. gas locker, regulator, flame check devices on cooker).

Much appreciated your comprehensive advice
many thanks Peter and ville

We had a 35 for about 5 years, apart from all the normal things to look out for with a boat that is 25 years old specifically I would look at two things

1. as Peter Say's the Chain plate attachments are hidden so its important to check for Water Ingress and the condition of the the attachment web, this is difficult to do on the Starboard side without drilling an access hole and using an Endiscope on the Port side its easier as you can get access by removing the AC power panel and looking with a torch
2. The other thing I would look at is the Bottom of the Mild Steel Fuel tank, if you have had water ingress into the Engine bay then its possible for the base of the tank to have been sitting in water. if this is the case then the bottom can corrode through you should be able to tell by feeling the bottom of the tank in front of the engine. Its a good precaution to fit an electric bilge pump in front of the engine to make sure there is not a build up of water here

Other than that its just normal things that you would look at on a 25 year old boat, keel bolts will always be rusty and there are multiple articles on the website a) that in the main show its not a big problem and b) if you want to change them show how

Rgds Mike

Thanks for that Mike –I examined where the stays attach to chainplates and there are some hairline cracks-
so good tip to take off electrical panel --and i awaiting permission to drill hole on other side to inspect starboard side as there are some crack sthere aslo
–also I noticed directly underneath the chainplate in the locker there are horizontal bolts thro the grp support with corroded ends and cant figure their purpose–and yes spot on the cockpit teak has been replaced—the boat appears well maintained and rigging replaced in 2014 so thanks for your help.

Best Regards

Pearce

Hi Pearce,

Apart from rebedding the little sealing plates around the chainplates, we cut inspection holes for all 6 shroud chainplates through the beautiful cabinetry which hides them and covered the holes with offcuts from a teak decking job. Two holes each side are actually inside cupboards and one each side in a bookshelf (Moody 425 layout). You an find a photo of one covered hatch here:

This enables us to inspect each chainplate by just removing two screws.

Peter.

Peter, did you cut round holes with a hole saw attachment for a drill or do you have a special "electric jig saw for small jobs"?

Hi Ville,

A while ago now, so I don't really remember, but likely to be hand tools only. Probably a hole at each corner approx 3/4"then join them up with a padsaw (a hacksaw blade mounted in a handle at one end only).

Peter.

p.s. My memory failed again. Having looked underneath the covers, there are two holes of diameter about 2cm less than the cover's height, made with a holesaw with the intention of joining them together with straight saw cuts, but I found I could see enough without making the straight cuts, so they were never done. P.

Last edited:
I've just joined the site as a temporary member and the comments you guys have made on the 35 have been beneficial to me because it is a yacht I'm interested in purchasing so a big thank you for all the information supplied. Regards Peter

We're all pleased to help if we can, Peter. Good luck with your search for a 35.

Back