1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 36 Cc

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Frank Ormonde, 4/8/16.

1. Hi all
    First of all I would like to congratulate you all on having a wonderful informative forum.
    I have an opportunity to purchase a 1980 36 cc, the owner is asking £18K, it appears to be in good nik, has all working electrical equipment, heating , engine only 3 years old, in the water now and being used.
    My situation is that I have always wanted a yacht, but I do lack experience, this year I have completed my RYA QC down in the Canaries and I will continue with this course, certainly to day skipper and beyond if I can. I prefer not to buy a small boat to learn in, but buy a boat that will last me for years and learn in it.
    As I am nearing age 60, my question is:
    Would a boat of this age last me another 10-15 years ? of course I understand that a proper survey will be required and the insurance co may ask for new rigging etc. What other upgrades in a Moody of this vintage do members think I would need to attend to, and is it a suitable project for distance cruising (I hope to sail to the Med from UK over the next few years and maybe down to the Canaries when I eventually retire) Is there longitivity in this as a project ? Does anyone have one now ? and do they feel its suitable for long distance cruising ?

2. Bill Tomlinson

Bill Tomlinson Bill Tomlinson

Boat name:
    MEDLASS
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(80s)
    Cruising area:
    Med
    Hi Frank,
    We have a 1980 36 cc which we keep in the Med.
    Although I certainly don't profess to be an expert, in my opinion the answer to all your question's is yes.
    Although there is still a debate on what the expected lifespan of Fibreglass boats actually is, there are plenty of boats built in the 60's used for cruising, e.g. Seadogs,still going strong with no sign of problems. Yes I would have a survey, but if in good condition with a newish engine, and presuming no sign of osmosis which can be costly, that sounds a very reasonable price.
    Upgrades can be personal preference, but we decided to widen the bed in the aft cabin to 4'6" from 4' which makes it far more comfortable, are looking at having a proper sprung mattress made as we don't find the foam supportive enough.I am researching about the feasibility of having all lines led back to the cockpit for safety and comfort, and as we want to spend more time at anchor we are looking at getting an arch with solar panels and wind generator on to allow us to keep beer, wine and butter chilled without running the engine.For the same reason, being mid 50's and already feeling it, am hoping to get an electric windlass soon.Check the windows and hatches for uv damage/crazing as they can be fairly expensive and certainly fiddly to renew.
    In a few years when we retire we intend to cruise extensively around the Med and beyond,she sails pretty well, comfortable accommodation, safe in heavy seas. Yes a lot of people would say go for 40'-45' for the extra comfort and room, but we find we have plenty of space as long as we don't hoard.And cost wise, being just under 11m, we save a fortune in marina's and lifting out/yard fees compared with 40 footers.
    Happy Sailing
    Bill 'Medlass'

3. Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles Neil Eccles Executive Committee

MOA Position:
    Website Editor
    Boat name:
    CUTAWAY
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
    Frank - Bill answers with the authority of an owner. Just to reassure you, Moodys of that vintage were very well built (as are they all) so the boat's structure should be very sound. They were not known for osmosis. That seemed to affect Beneteaus in a ten year period in the late 80s early 90s. Nevertheless your surveyor will check.

Your surveyor will let you know if there is anything expensive he/she sees, for example if the boat has been viciously grounded on the keel, or the rigging needs replacement. The engine seems sound being quite new.

You need to check the steering (your surveyor will do this) and whether all the bits work. You will need a fridge so make sure either it works or you keep enough cash to install one in the fullness of time.

Doing your RYA courses is an excellent way to go. The practical ones are great to do and teach you techniques very quickly. There is a basic boating etiquette they teach too. Navigation is a matter of training.
    Overall boating is about instinct built up over experience, so grab any water time you can get.
    How about joining a sailing club and crewing for others on all types of boats. I promise that you would learn a lot and give you confidence, but owning your own boat is fantastic.

What ever you do - very good luck.

Kindest

Neil

4. Alan Ganter

Alan Ganter Alan Ganter

Boat name:
    GOLDEN DRAGON
    Boat type:
    Moody 36(80s)
    Cruising area:
    Solent
    Hi Frank,
    Welcome to endless spending on an old boat!!! I cant see why any boat if looked after will out last us all. I have a 1978 Moody 36, I do keep it to the highest standard I can afford but anybody can spend more! I do agree with Neil about joining a yacht club as the free help and advise from others is great.
    If you live in the Southampton area you are welcome to have a nose around Golden Dragon at Marchwood YC. I'm always happy to talk about my boat.
    Regards,

Alan Ganter.

5. Apologies for the delay! I was away sailing :)
    Thank you so much Alan, Neil, and Bill for the informative and reassuring answers, it has given me the confidence to proceed with this venture, we agreed to "talk Turkey" at the end of this season, which is nigh I suppose! Maybe soon I can join proper !!