Moody 36 (80s) Moody 36 cc

• Thread starter Juan Del Rey
  • Start date
J

Juan Del Rey

Thinking in a 1980 Moody 36 cc. Is she suitable for solo sailing ? The model I have seen has a main furled in the boom. Somebody knows this sytem ?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Chris Burn

Chris Burn
Boat name
Cristobella
Boat type
Moody 34
Cruising area
North Wales / Irish Sea
Sailing it would be easy enough, with auto helm, mooring it could prove to be a challenge depending on conditions, mooring is in my opinion the tricky bit, single handing takes much planning. Anchoring easy, picking up a buoy trickier but ok, tight marina berthing ........ well, if you radio ahead and threaten to crash into lots of things they will send some one to catch a line, ..... lots of fenders would be good.
Shouldn't be trickier than any similar yacht.
Good luck.

Duncan Hall

Duncan Hall
Boat name
GOOSE
Berth
Mayflower, Plymouth
Boat type
Moody 42
Cruising area
South Coast
I often single hand a Moody 42 which is similar. Most marinas send someone to catch lines which is only a problem when there are cross currents. In mast furling is fine once you get the boom height right.

Regards

Duncan

Last edited:
J

Juan Del Rey

This model has a bow thrust, I think this can help in doking.

Ian Henderson

Ian Henderson
Registered Guest
Thinking in a 1980 Moody 36 cc. Is she suitable for solo sailing ? The model I have seen has a main furled in the boom. Somebody knows this sytem ?
Thanks in advance.
You will find this yacht a real challenge in any marina if there is a cross wind especially single handed, The steering position is not convenient for single handed berthing. I suggest you look for an aft cockpit boat where single handed berthing is possible.

J

Juan Del Rey

Thanks to everyone for your answers.

Juan

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Juan,

I don't think you will find her any more challenging than any other 36 footer and I don't find centre cockpit boats any more difficult to berth single handed than aft cockpit - in both cases single handed makes little difference until you reach the point where you have to let go of the helm to lassoo a cleat.

The in boom furling is not a standard feature, so you need to specify the brand for anyone to offer a useful opinion on it.

Peter.