Boat name
ISHIMA
Berth
Preveza
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Cruising area
Greece, Med
I'm in the process of buying a 1997 Moody 36cc. One thing that concerned me somewhat was that the mainsail was very crumpled inside its stack pack. The owner said it would take a crew of 4 beefy guys to stow it properly. As I'm planning to sail her most often with just my girlfriend, that concerned me a little. The boat does have a bimini so that make it a little more tricky. Any thoughts on ease of mainsail stowage short handed?

Noel Wilson

Noel Wilson
Boat name
MIDNIGHT LADY
Berth
Premier Swanwick
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Cruising area
Solent
Sounds a bit odd
I have lazyjacks and stack pack for my main on a 36cc and she drops beautifully into it
Certainly wouldn’t take the muscle suggested

Ian Brearley

Ian Brearley
Boat name
SERAPHINA
Berth
Spain / Mediterranean
Boat type
Moody 44
Cruising area
Spain / Mediterranean
We have lazy Jack's on our M44 and no stack pack and folds OK with batterns on top of boom. Helps if 1 of us zig-zag at mast. The 2 of us manage however; as always extra crew other than just us 2 would make job easier.

Ian

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Noel,

Something not right there, a stackpack main should just drop into the bag, ready to zip up if it's all set up right - only If you try dropping it with the wind aft, a bit of tugging the leech aft might be needed. The clue to the problem is in your statement that the sail is crumpled in the pack - a crumpled sail will take up a lot more space than one that is nicely flaked.

How old is the sail? If it's always been stowed in a crumpled mess, its life will be shortened compared to a neatly stowed sail.

The only systematic fault I can think of that would lead to this problem is the pack being too small but, before blaming that, I would unpack the sail, flake it neatly on the boom with no crumples then try zipping up the pack. If it zips up easily like this, the problem lies in the way it has been used. With a stack pack, the need to ensure the sail is neatly flaked still applies and, if you don't want to put any ties on, zip the bag up while still head to wind, otherwise it will blow everywhere as you motor to your mooring.

Peter.

Bill Levett

Bill Levett
Boat name
ISHIMA
Berth
Preveza
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Cruising area
Greece, Med
Thanks for the replies. That's more as I was thinking - doable with just 2 of us but obviously easier with more. The sail is 2013 vintage. We didn't have an opportunity to hoist it and re-stow it but I am keen like to do that when the opportunity arises. The pack looked of ample size. If we did have to replace it any ideas what that might cost?

Patrick Fleming

Patrick Fleming
Boat name
EUREKA
Berth
East Ferry, Cork Harbour, Ireland
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Cruising area
Ireland / Uk / France
Hi Bill,

Have the stackpack on my 36 and sail solo regularly.
My main is fully battened and quite heavy.
But I have no great problem hoisting it. I normally hoist it up by hand from the foot of the mast. While holding the halliard tight I walk back to behind the sprayhood and take up as much slack as possible from aft of the jammer with my free hand. I then (quickly as possible) leave go of the halliard and pull the remainder of the slack on the halliard (drops about 6ft) before loading it on the winch and winching the rest of the way up.
Have no problem dropping it or folding it in the stackpack.
A bit of silicone spray on the batten slides every now and then helps too.
No reason to have crumpled main. My main is the original 1996 Hood and is still in great condition.

Bill Levett

Bill Levett
Boat name
ISHIMA
Berth
Preveza
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Cruising area
Greece, Med
Hi Bill,

Have the stackpack on my 36 and sail solo regularly.
My main is fully battened and quite heavy.
But I have no great problem hoisting it. I normally hoist it up by hand from the foot of the mast. While holding the halliard tight I walk back to behind the sprayhood and take up as much slack as possible from aft of the jammer with my free hand. I then (quickly as possible) leave go of the halliard and pull the remainder of the slack on the halliard (drops about 6ft) before loading it on the winch and winching the rest of the way up.
Have no problem dropping it or folding it in the stackpack.
A bit of silicone spray on the batten slides every now and then helps too.
No reason to have crumpled main. My main is the original 1996 Hood and is still in great condition.
Thanks Patrick. That is encouraging and thanks for the tip on hoisting. I'm actually going to get out to her in Greece next week so should be able to get onto it at last!