1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 37 / 376 Chain Plate Fastenings And Things To Look For

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Rolf Niebel, 30/5/17.

1. Rolf Niebel

Rolf Niebel Rolf Niebel Temporary Member

Hello,

I am very much interested in a Moody 37 / 376. To me they are very strongly built ships.

But, as it is not visible because of the built-in furniture, I would like to know how the chain-plates are fastend to the hull. Do you have detailed informations about that and / or can you send me (original) drawings.

Some advices to look for on a 37 / 376 are also very welcome.

Thank you very much and best regards
    Rolf

2. Peter Wright

Peter Wright Peter Wright

Boat name:
    WILD THYME
    Berth:
    Suffolk Yacht Harbour
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
    Hi Rolf,

You're right, these boats are strongly constructed, but the chainplates are worth a close look before purchase.

The chainplates in these models, and most other Moodys of that era, are simple stainless steel plates which pass through the side decks and are bolted to marine ply part bulkheads hidden behind the cabinetry in the saloon. The part bulkheads are bonded to both the hull and the deckhead and there are coach bolts securing them to the moulded tab on the hull, but I believe these bolts were principally to hold the bulkhead in position while the bonding was done. Small stainless sealing plates bedded in some form of mastic are screwed to the deck around each chainplate to keep the water out - the small screws in these do not contribute to the structural strength of the chainplate.

However, the sealing plates can become a weakness as the mastic ages - if they start letting water in that can start rot in either the balsa core of the deck and/or the part bulkhead, this can weaken the structure. This defect is best identified by a straight edge on the deck to check for any bulges. In the extreme the bolts can pull through soggy marine ply effectively causing failure of the chainplate. It is good practice to lift and reseal these sealing plates every few years. On our Moody 425, we have cut inspection ways through the cabinetry, covered with screwed on teak boards, to permit easy inspection of all 6 chainplates.

I forget whether the 37 / 376 has forward lowers or a babystay. If the latter, the way the chainplate for this is built into the deck is not well engineered - basically a short length of stainless tube bonded into the underside of the deck. Many members have strengthened this feature and ways of doing it are described in the Info Exchange. Others have replaced the babystay with forward lowers on those models originally equipped with a babystay. Again a straight edge on the deck is good for identifying problems with this feature.

If you want to read more about either of these issues, there is much written in the info exchange and technical library - as a temporary member you can access these and use the search facility to find chainplates and babystay respectively. As these features were common across many models, don't restrict your search to M37 / 376.

Peter

Last edited: 4/6/17
  3. Rolf Niebel

Rolf Niebel Rolf Niebel Temporary Member

Hi Peter,

thank you very much for your very detailed answer. It helps a lot.

Yes, the 37 / 376 has a babystay and I will also have a look at it.

I also will look in the forum.

Thank you very much!

Best regards
    Rolf