1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 376, Blue Water Cruiser?

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Patrik Stintzing, 12/7/16.

1. Hi.

I'm new to this forum. I'm looking for a seaworthy, sea kindly boat that handles well in rough conditions with strong wind and high seas. I'm interested in a Moody 376 over here in Sweden as I've read that they are often used as long term live aboards all over the world. I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to give me some input as to the boats suitability as a blue water cruiser, possibly for a circumnavigation. Sailing performence, rough weather handling and storage space for longer crossings would be of particular interest.

Kind regards

Patrik

2. Blaine Duff

Blaine Duff Blaine Duff

Boat name:
    TIMELESS
    Boat type:
    Moody 376
    Cruising area:
    Lewisporte
    Hi Patrik,we love our moody 376, it is a blue water sailing boat, we have put that to the test. Heavy rigging and mast, very well made boat feel very safe and secure, travelled from Newfoundland to Bahamas in ours this past year, as you can imagine we hit some rough weather at times. We modified the back cabin bed, and made a full sized double bed. We placed a piece of plywood across the open space between the seating and the bed, secured it with some bolts!! The bed is a little short for long term use in my opinion.

3. Hi Blaine. Thank you very much for your input. We are currently sailing our recently bought moody 376 back home round the south coast of Sweden. So far we have only praise for the boat. Thanks for the input on the double bed. We are thinking along the same lines. This boat has the standard water and fuel tanks (I believe) taking roughly 200 liters each. Would that be sufficient for longer crossings? Have you augmented your water and fuel supply or installed a watermaker? Any Idea as to where you would best place extra fuel and water tanks?

Thank you very much again.

Kind regards

Patrik

4. Blaine Duff

Blaine Duff Blaine Duff

Boat name:
    TIMELESS
    Boat type:
    Moody 376
    Cruising area:
    Lewisporte
    Hi patrik, we do carry extra fuel and water containers, and secure them on deck, a water maker was already installed on the boat when we bought it, was so good to have, we never drank it though just used it to wash up in. That saved a lot of our fresh water, not always easy to get water and fuel in some places. Overall we didn't run into many problems.

5. Hi Blaine.

Thanks for that. Where is your water maker installed? Looks like we might be able to fit one in the engine room. Do you run the engine in order to supply the water maker with electricity or do you have a small diesel generator? Always interesting to hear how other people have solved installation problems. I'll guess we'll take a couple of years to get the boat in the shape we want her before setting off. But luckily she seems to be in good shape and the previous owner has really taken care of her and updated her continuously. I guess the challenge will be to optimize the storage space in order to accommodate everything needed for a few weeks at sea. Sounds like you must have had a great trip all the way from Newfoundland to Bahamas. How long did it take?

6. Blaine Duff

Blaine Duff Blaine Duff

Boat name:
    TIMELESS
    Boat type:
    Moody 376
    Cruising area:
    Lewisporte
    Hi patrik, the watermaker, was not installed but left in the locker, all we did was hook it up to a marine grade battery on deck, worked well like that made about 5 gallons every 4 hours. We will have it installed properly in the future, then our tanks can be filled under engine power. I heard that you can buy hand held ones that will do the job, and much cheaper. You can use it then in a ditch bag if you ever need to use a life raft. The trip was a long one from Newfoundland took 3 months! Lots of bad weather! Boat will be in the Bahamas for a while lol

Great sailing to the both of you!

7. Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles Neil Eccles Executive Committee

MOA Position:
    Website Editor
    Boat name:
    CUTAWAY
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
    Patrick, since you have now bought your Moody, you should really join the association if you like continued support. This is a large hint!

:)

Kindest

Neil

8. Hi Neil

I will definately do this as it seems like a great forum. I will sort this out as soon as I get back home in about a week or two. Its truely great to be able to get access to so much useful information.

Kind regards.

Patrik Stintzing

9. Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles Neil Eccles Executive Committee

MOA Position:
    Website Editor
    Boat name:
    CUTAWAY
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
    Thanks Patrik

10. Would you be able to send photos of your mod , please.

Roy Clare likes this.