1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 376 Engine

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Chris Burke, 16/8/17.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Burke

Chris Burke Chris Burke Registered Guest

Hi all,

I am thinking of putting an offer in on a 376 and had a few questions regarding the original 35hp engines they were fitted with. Have most owners replaced these units, and if so with what and how much should I be looking to spend?

If owners have kept the original, are there any parts that are particularly susceptible to wear and tear during typical med cruising?

Many thanks,
    Chris

2. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Jeff Williams

Boat name:
    KYRA
    Berth:
    Plymouth
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    South Coast
    Chris,

If it has the Thornycroft T80 it is a marinised Mitsubishi K4d which is used worldwide as a plant engine. It is very robust and spares are available. However like all engines it's condition will depend on how well it has been cared for.
    If well maintained (mine is nearly 30 years old and burns no oil and has a clean exhaust) then it should not need replacing. It may be worth budgeting for a top end overhaul (gaskets,valves, etc) if this has not been done recently. I had mine done to improve performance and extend the life of the engine.
    An added note is that the engine should be run on mineral oil and not synthetic or semi-synthetic. Use API CC,CD or CF, 15W40 for cool climates but 20w50 (thicker to help maintain oil pressure) for hot climates such as the Med'.

3. Clive Roberts

Clive Roberts Clive Roberts

Boat name:
    CHARISMA
    Berth:
    Bangor North Wales
    Boat type:
    Moody 34
    Cruising area:
    Irish Sea
    Another added note, I was informed by the then boss of Thornycroft in 2010 that mineral oil is for engines on canal boats that only run at about 1500 revs. If you run at 2000 or more, synthetic is ok.

4. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Jeff Williams

Boat name:
    KYRA
    Berth:
    Plymouth
    Boat type:
    Moody 346
    Cruising area:
    South Coast
    Clive,
    I think the boss of Thornycroft may have been refering to the then current models. Synthetic will be ok for the more recent Thornycroft engines (just before they ceased building engines) and if they have always been run on synthetic as the materials used in their assembly would be compatible with synthetic oils.
    For engines of the M346 and M376 circa '80s era that were originally run on mineral oil it is not recommended to change to synthetic. However I know that some owners have changed without problems. I'm sure the debate will continue.

5. Clive Roberts

Clive Roberts Clive Roberts

Boat name:
    CHARISMA
    Berth:
    Bangor North Wales
    Boat type:
    Moody 34
    Cruising area:
    Irish Sea
    Yes, the model he was referring to was my new 2010 T95, the last,I think that Thornycroft built.

6. Chris Burke

Chris Burke Chris Burke Registered Guest

Many thanks for your replies, very informative.

7. Is the cambelt easy to change on this engine in a 376? Space looks a bit tight on the forward end by the fuel tank>

Ta

8. Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles Neil Eccles General Committee

MOA Position:
    Website Editor
    Boat name:
    CUTAWAY
    Berth:
    Vannes
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
    Mike, this is on the margins of what this particular forum allows. If you wish to go further on this topic please join as a temporary member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.