1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. I am seriously looking to purchase a 376 and have a few questions,
    can someone give me an answer as to the different sailing qualities of the fin and scheel keel types?

What size anchor chain do they usually come with 8 or 10mm chain,

I sail on west coast of france with tight marina berths, any problems fitting bowthruster?

cheers
    Martin

2. Andy Horton

Andy Horton Andy Horton

Boat name:
    ALESIA
    Boat type:
    Moody 376
    Cruising area:
    Ionian
    Hi Martin,

I've owned Alesia for coming up to 18 months now, so relatively new in my ownership but I'll give you my opinion.

I think when looking at this type of boat you look for the best condition you can find, that's what I did. If it is a scheel or fin I don't reall think you'd notice any difference in sailing qualities but you'd potentially notice a huge difference in boat quality holding out for one as appose to another.

These boats are of a quality build, mine is 1990 and many people comment on her looking early 2000's!

I believe the standard set up was 8mm chain but I'm not 100% sure, what I do know is I have 80m of 8mm G40 from Maggi Chain Italy and that is more than adequate for living aboard in Greece.

With regards to a bowthruster, I viewed a nice 376 in Belgium which had a bowthruster (just not the boat for me) and I've met a couple that has one too, personally I don't feel the need for one but you could fit one no problems.

Hope that helps a little, good luck in your search.

Andy

3. Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply. Going to have a look at three or four so will definitly be buying!

Martin

4. Laurence Gandar

Laurence Gandar Laurence Gandar Executive Committee

MOA Position:
    Compass Advertising Manager
    Boat name:
    MISTRAL DANCER
    Boat type:
    Moody 376
    Cruising area:
    Solent, English Channel
    Martin,
    The following may be useful.
    Happy hunting
    Regards
    Laurence

General Comments on Moody 376

We have owned our 376 Fin keel 1988 for 18 seasons and are very pleased with the boat..

My wife and I can handle the boat without problems.

Good accommodation and we like the stern cabin although the offset berth to port means you cannot get to both sides of the bunk but you do have a good seating area and the fact that you only have access into the aft cabin down the stb side gives you an enormous cockpit locker.

The Passage berth is great as a navigators berth and also a dumping area for bags.

I am almost 6ft and reckon to have good headroom throughout except in the passage cabin where you have to duck into the aft cabin. The aft cabin bunk is long enough for me to sleep on the hull side, but it is a little short for anyone taller.

At sea very comfortable, does not pound in a seaway. Not very wet at least not till you get above force 6 in a beat. We have a fully battened main and reef at about 16knts. We do not have all the reefing lines brought aft to the cockpit. The "Granny Bars" feel safe enough but you do have to get to them! Quite fast and very good on a reach. No steering problems the rudder grips well.

Good comfortable and safe cockpit.

We have a 50hp Thornycroft (T98) engine and 3 bladed fixed pitch prop which gives us plenty of drive and we can make 6 knts at an easy 2000 revs. 7 knts at 2600 and we have never needed any more!

Handling under power

Stern walks to port astern

Steers well astern after about 1 boat length, we usually go into strange marina berths stern first so that we can get out easily!

Will do a turn round using ahead and astern power inside 1.5 boat lengths. Very good rudder gives good thrust in either direction but obviously turns round better clockwise using prop walk to port astern.

Ahead will turn in in a circle of about 2 boat lengths.

We do not have a bow thruster and have never missed having one.

Any surveyor will look at the Mast Compression post support where it lands onto the frame on top of the keel. Here there is a wooden block which will almost certainly have been replaced. If it compresses there is evidence of a depression in the deck. This is not a serious issue to repair. The rudder seals are “o” rings which may produce a leak when motoring as the stern squats but again this is not too difficult to sort out although it does involve dropping the rudder. Where the chain plates come through a slot in the deck there is a cover plate. The seal around the chainplate is made with Sikaflex and needs to be checked for watertight integrity. You can check in the bilges to see if there is any staining from water running down from where the chain plates are bolted through the plywood frames. Otherwise nothing special to look out for.