Moody 38 (90s) Moody 38, 40 or 42 and associated fees - help please!

Julie Collins

Boat name
GUDITTA
Berth
Ionian Marina
Boat type
Moody 38 (90s)
Cruising area
Mediterranean
Hi Guys

My partner and I are due to retire soon and looking to buy a moody between 38 and 42' to start cruising around the med initially and see what happens...

As we don't have any experience with the associated costs (relatively new to sailing) could anyone offer some advise as to the differences between running a 38' and a 42' relating to haul out, marina fees etc

Any help would be hugely appreicated

Thanks in advance

Julie

Hi Julie
You will probably hear about mooring costs jumping up above 12m LOA but I've never really found that to be much of an issue.
In Greece there is a cruising tax (ETEPAI) that all boats have to pay and there is a big step change at 12m for this. My tax is 104 euro per month but someone just under 12m pays something like 35 per month.
Marina and haul out fees are usually on a linear scale so you pay a little more for a 42 than a 38 but not a big difference
Regards
Peter

Hi Julie,

Petr's advice is great. Some harbours also charge extra for beamier boats as well so you should check out what the deal is where you plan to keep the boat. Alternatively, you can choose to keep the boat where the charging regime favours her size.

Cost of sails goes up with size and insurance goes up with insured value. Maintenance costs go up with the size of the boat, but that is not relevant if you choose to do it all yourself as the majority of maintenance cost is labour rather than materials.

Peter.

Thanks guys, some really helpful information!

Hi Peter,

Apologies, I seem to have chosen the Czech version of your name!

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Apologies, I seem to have chosen the Czech version of your name!

Peter.
No problem Peter although, IIRC, possibly more appropriate for you than me!
Peter

Back