1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 38cc

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Tony Smith, 18/6/17.

1. Dear Moody Owners,
    I am in the process of buying a Moody 38cc and would like to gain any knowledge that maybe useful plus I have the following questions:

Is there any reason copper coating anti foul would be a bad ides?

Has anybody had problems with the seal between the hull and keel?

Has anybody had problems with the Stern Gland?

Can the rigging chainplates be accessed?
    Thank you Tony

2. Peter Sims

Peter Sims Peter Sims

Boat name:
    SIRI
    Berth:
    Ocean Quay Marina, Southampton
    Boat type:
    Moody 44
    Cruising area:
    Ionian
    Hi Tony
    There is no reason why a copper antifouling can't be used. My boat has had one for 5 years and it's looking good.
    I'm sure there will be older boats where the sealant has broken down but probably not on a boat as new as a 38. Others can comment. My boat had the keel dropped, studs replaced and keel rebedded at the end of 2014. As in many boats (mine is 1997) the mild steel nuts and backing plates were rusted and the contractor persuaded the previous owner this was because of leaks around the studs which were corroding because they were not connected to the hull anode. When the keel was dropped there was no sign of any leaks and, of course, the suggestion of connecting to the anode was complete nonsense. On the plus side I have brand new studs and a newly made hull keel joint!
    Chainplates can only be accessed below deck by removing furniture unfortunately. If the sealant around the entry point covers on deck has been kept in good condition it is unlikely there will be any problem but the only way to be sure is to remove the wood work and look. There is a recent thread on this very subject that you could search for in the main forum. A knowleadgable contributor here (a different Peter) posted that he has put inspection hatches in the
    teak covers for the chainplates. Very sensible idea but you need to own the boat first.
    You will get a variety of opinions on stern glands. I believe most are traditional greased packed glands as mine and operate trouble free. Some people have changed to dripless glands. Whichever they have I've not heard of any problems in the form of failures.

Good luck with your purchase
    Peter

3. Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles Neil Eccles Executive Committee

MOA Position:
    Website Editor
    Boat name:
    CUTAWAY
    Berth:
    Vannes
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
    Hi Tony

Copper coat is generally thought of as a good plus, but it must have been applied properly. If it has and has some life left in it then you will reduce your annual costs for antifouling to just a scrub off and anode change

The seal between the hull and keel is not normally an issue. If the boat is being lifted before you purchase, see if there is any water coming out when the boat is settled on the keel. Also check the keel bolt fastenings. Some rust is ok but not if it starts to affect the integrity of the nuts.

Don't know about M38 stern glands, but it is likely to be entirely conventional and therefore easy to have repacked.

Really don't know about the chainplate fixings to the hull - you would need to delve down. On my M42 they are easy to see - sorry to be no help here.

Kindest

Neil

4. Thank you Peter and Neil for your replies. Very useful. Happy Cruising. Kind Regards Tony