Moody 40/42 (late 90s early 00s) Moody 40 Survey

Dan Bacher

Dan Bacher
Registered Guest
Hi all,
I'm looking at a '98 Moody 40 and will have a survey done this week on the hard and then a sea trial in the coming days. Is there anything in particular that I should look for that is normally not done during a survey? I heard access to the chain plates is not that simple. Can those even be checked during a survey?

Thank you

Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles
General Committee
GC Support Team
MOA Position
Website Editor
Boat name
CUTAWAY
Berth
Vannes
Boat type
Moody 42
Cruising area
West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
Hi Dan - the only thing to look out for is the rudder tube problem. This was a fault built in at manufacture by Princess Yachts on some M40, M42, M38 and M36 yachts. The problem was that on a few boats, the stainless steel tube which was bonded to the epoxy one had the wrong adhesive used which let in water. You can tell if this is a problem because of rust stains coming from the rudder tube. Dont confuse the rudder seals with the tube problem. Hopefully your surveyor will know the difference. If this is a problem it is a yard job unless you are very good. The rudder needs to be dropped, the stainless steel tube knocked out and replaced with the correct adhesive. Dont worry about it though, it is easily fixable and once done lasts for life. Some surveyors also like to comment on keel bolts - don't be fooled, these are almost always very sound indeed, although there are exceptions.

Hope this helps

All opinions are personal, nothing to do with the MOA and I won't be held liable for any consequences!

Kindest

Neil

Dan Bacher

Dan Bacher
Registered Guest
Hi Neil,
Thank you for your insight but I had to chuckle about the disclaimer. So you mean the information that I get from the internet might not be accurate and the guy in Angola who sends me an email and wants my bank account information so he can send me his millions could not be true??? Bummer!

Anyway, it looks like that the M40 I am looking at is affected with the decease you are talking about. When I walked up to her, that's the first thing I looked at and I saw those nasty rust lines running down from the shoe. But as you said, let the yard fix it and off we go sailing into the sunset.

Cheers,
Dan

Dan Bacher

Dan Bacher
Registered Guest
Hi all - The surveyor suggested to investigate these cracks and chips further. 1) Are these "common" or should I be worried 2) How would I investigate further? Drop the keel?

Thanks for any input.
Dan

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Dan,

I can't see that dropping the keel will reveal much more about these cracks, the key question is how far they go into the structure. The only way to be sure about that is to cut or grind them out.

Before you start on that, you should be aware that it's fairly common practice to paint over the studs, nuts and backing plates with gel wash to prevent rusting of these mild steel components. Inevitably a bit (or more) of the surrounding grp is also painted. The gel wash doesn't adhere very well to the steel, but does to the clean parts of the grp, so the poorly adhered bits soon crack off, leaving what appear to be cracks around the bits which remain stuck. This may well be the cause of what your surveyor has observed.

In the first instance I would ask the surveyor what sort of investigation he is proposing.

Peter.

Micky Barnes

Michael Barnes
Boat name
LIESEL
Berth
Hamble
Boat type
Moody 41
Cruising area
South Coast
Mine looked similar when I bought my M41. Surveyor was not worried about it. I eventually chipped away the gelwash and revealed everything to be OK. Recovered keel bolts with hammerite several years ago and no sign of any problems.