• We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

General moody 419,425,422 information

Blake Smith

Temporary Member
Hello to you all and thanks in advance for you advice and sorry if this touches on other threads
Me and my partner are looking for a boat to sail back to Australia from Europe over the next few years. Our plan is to buy a boat this winter prepare the boat over the winter/summer and be ready for the ARC 2019. I have spent two seasons in the Caribbean as captain private carter boats and a very hands on with maintenance and engineering. The moodies in the 40 range seem to tick lots of boxes for us and would like some more information.
Does any know what the average miles per day are when offshore generally speaking ?
Does the mast furling main make a huge difference in performance? We will be sailing shorthanded sometimes so has its befits but this outweighed by performance? What do these models average for pointing ability? Light air sailing ability, what does it take to get them moving ?
What are they like at anchor in rolling anchorages? I know all boats roll around but some are worse than others.
The baby stay on the and the 419 can this be re configured to allow for a tender on the bow and make for an easier removable solent stay?
Does anyone know the total width of the transom?
How well is the fridge insulated and what size are they?
ventilation does the aft cabin get enough air?

I have seen moodies of all sizes cruising all over the world but have yet to be onboard one. We hope to be viewing some at the end of the month.

Brian Hawkesworth

Brian Hawkesworth
Boat name
FIRST DEGREE
Berth
Gouvia Marina, Corfu.
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
Mediterranean
Blake,

I'm afraid I can't answer all your questions but I will offer my opinion on a few.

Having got used to the in mast furling main I find it is excellent for short handed sailing. The only time anyone has to go out of the cockpit is when we are anchoring. Our 425 needs 10 to 12 knots to really get her moving and she is best at around 45 degrees off the wind. However, she will sail, slowly, at 30 degrees.

I'm no light air sailor, but if you have the patience, she will move.

With regard to the fridge, it is large but poorly insulated as standard.

Our aft cabin has side hatches and one in the deck above the bed. If there is air moving, it is OK. It's better when we are plugged into shore power, then we put the air con on.

As you say, you have seen Moody boats all over the world. That's what they were built to do.

Hope this helps.

Brian.