General moody 419,425,422 information

Blake Smith

Temporary Member
Hello to you all and thanks in advance for you advice and sorry if this touches on other threads
Me and my partner are looking for a boat to sail back to Australia from Europe over the next few years. Our plan is to buy a boat this winter prepare the boat over the winter/summer and be ready for the ARC 2019. I have spent two seasons in the Caribbean as captain private carter boats and a very hands on with maintenance and engineering. The moodies in the 40 range seem to tick lots of boxes for us and would like some more information.
Does any know what the average miles per day are when offshore generally speaking ?
Does the mast furling main make a huge difference in performance? We will be sailing shorthanded sometimes so has its befits but this outweighed by performance? What do these models average for pointing ability? Light air sailing ability, what does it take to get them moving ?
What are they like at anchor in rolling anchorages? I know all boats roll around but some are worse than others.
The baby stay on the and the 419 can this be re configured to allow for a tender on the bow and make for an easier removable solent stay?
Does anyone know the total width of the transom?
How well is the fridge insulated and what size are they?
ventilation does the aft cabin get enough air?

I have seen moodies of all sizes cruising all over the world but have yet to be onboard one. We hope to be viewing some at the end of the month.

Brian Hawkesworth

Brian Hawkesworth
Boat name
FIRST DEGREE
Berth
Gouvia Marina, Corfu.
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
Mediterranean
Blake,

I'm afraid I can't answer all your questions but I will offer my opinion on a few.

Having got used to the in mast furling main I find it is excellent for short handed sailing. The only time anyone has to go out of the cockpit is when we are anchoring. Our 425 needs 10 to 12 knots to really get her moving and she is best at around 45 degrees off the wind. However, she will sail, slowly, at 30 degrees.

I'm no light air sailor, but if you have the patience, she will move.

With regard to the fridge, it is large but poorly insulated as standard.

Our aft cabin has side hatches and one in the deck above the bed. If there is air moving, it is OK. It's better when we are plugged into shore power, then we put the air con on.

As you say, you have seen Moody boats all over the world. That's what they were built to do.

Hope this helps.

Brian.

Micky Barnes

Michael Barnes
Boat name
LIESEL
Berth
Hamble
Boat type
Moody 41
Cruising area
South Coast
Blake, Sorry only recently seen this.
Wind angle. Depends on sea state, wind strength and consistency. About 33° is about optimum in smooth sea and light wind. Increase this as sea state & wind increases. 7kts true wind is minimum to sail.
Miles per day. Impossible to say as it depends so much on conditions.
In mast furling. Sounds great but I have known too many problems. In particular you cannot get rid of the sail if the system jams. An in boom gives simplicity of reefing yet the sail can still be dropped rapidly if/when necessary. I stick with slab reefing.
Rolling will be made worse if you have a lot of weight up the mast. Attaching roll stoppers to a pulled out boom and spinnaker pole may help. Better to try and get any swell on the bow by using a stern anchor or using a bridle on the bower anchor which also almost eliminates sailing round the anchor.
Baby stay. Previous owner replaced mine with forward lowers - brilliant
Transom. I have a M41 so likely to be different.
Aft cabin. I would like a hatch in the aft heads. Stowing dinghy on aft deck keeps this cabin cooler.
Fridge insulation. Adequate for UK waters. Could be better. If/when I need to replace the refrigeration unit then I will install in cockpit locker (with sea water cooling) as this will keep the heat away from the fridge and give me another useable locker.
Bunk cabin. I have installed a second hatch in this cabin which I consider essential to get air circulation.
Best of luck, Micky

James Larmuth

James Larmuth
Boat name
HEPZIBAH
Boat type
Moody 425
Bought a moody 425 last year to go long distance. Every boat is a compromise. I had insisted that we would need a deep keel and stack pack main. We've ended up with in mast and a shoal keel. Both have worked out far better than expected.

The shoal keel gets us into interesting anchorages. The in mast furling is robust, I've taken in the main on a dead run in 20kts.

I modified the fridge/cool box to a fridge freezer with a keel cooler, all from penguin. The whole lot draws 5 to 6amps. The insulation, particularly the hatch seals need improving. Currently up the Guadiana river in southern Spain/Portugal with day temperatures of 40 plus and I can still make ice, just. Longer term I may need to improve insulation but the fit was straight forward.

The 425 is no racer. She points okay but in a decent breeze with wind off the nose she is a powerful cruiser. I'm still getting used to her but, downwind, in 20 kts off the Portuguese coast, with genoa only she was comfortably strolling along at 6 to 7 kts. With the main too it would be 7 plus.

At anchor she is well behaved as long as you don't pile up the fore deck with dinghy, plank and a poorly furled Genoa. We have 10mm chain (75M) and splashed out on a spade anchor. I sleep like a baby. She doesn't roll badly in a swell but I tend to use a kedge to keep her nose into it.

Ventilation is good but some 12v fans are useful to keep the air moving. In 40+ it's still hot but better than listening to a generator all night or having to stay in a marina. We find the forward opening fore hatch and aft opening aft cabin hatch gives great ventilation through the boat. Blah, blah waves, blah blah dangerous forward opening hatch etc. Live with it, be sensible and this set up works well.

Happy to provide more info if you want as only recently went through the purchase process. What ever you do, have a survey. We saved thousands of pounds on work such as keel bolts, mast compression step etc.

Happy hunting. There isn't a perfect boat out there but, there could be if you are open minded!

Robert Barnfield

Robert Barnfield
GC Support Team
Boat name
CORNISH MAID
Berth
The Shipyard, Littlehampton
Boat type
Moody 37
Cruising area
South and Southwest Coast
Hi Blake,
Maybe a little late for you; But if you are still looking, a Moody 42 CC has recently been posted on the Moody owners site. I have crewed this wonderful yacht several times and the current owners have enjoyed and cared for "Oronsay" over the past 13 years. Budget permitting this could serve you well on your proposed voyage. Here is the Link http://moodyowners.info/threads/moody-42-cc-for-sale.16822/
happy sailing. All the best Rob this review might be of interest
https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/reviews/yacht-reviews/moody-42-yachting-monthly-review