Wanted Moody 42 or 44 wanted - North American East Coast, Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico

Paul Athens

Paul Athens
Temporary Member
Hey there; I'm a motivated buyer looking for a 42' or 44' Moody anywhere along the east coast of Canada, USA, the Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico. If you're considering selling your boat now or in the foreseeable near future, please contact me at paulwathens@gmail.com. I am located in NYC and can travel easily on relatively short notice.

Thanks!

Chris Chandler

Chris Chandler
There is a nice looking Moody 425 for sale in Martinique. I was contacted by the owners in response to my post looking for a 376. The owners are very keen to sell as they are having to move to Brazil at the end of this month. Their e Mail is marceldebiasi@hotmail.com

Paul Athens

Paul Athens
Temporary Member
There is a nice looking Moody 425 for sale in Martinique. I was contacted by the owners in response to my post looking for a 376. The owners are very keen to sell as they are having to move to Brazil at the end of this month. Their e Mail is marceldebiasi@hotmail.com
Thanks Chris. I like the 425, but unfortunately the boom clearance in the cockpit is too low. I wonder if these boats have had the boom raised to accommodate standing space in the cockpit?

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Paul,

Unless your 2m or more tall, you should not find the boom too low for standing on the cockpit sole on a M425. If you've seen one like that, there's something wrong with the cut of the mainsail or the halyard is not hauled fully up.

With an in mast furling main, the boom should angle up a few degrees from the mast.

We never adjust our topping lift and it's slack when the sail is set, so the boom drops about 50mm when we furl up the main - it still clears the heads of everybody we've ever had aboard.

Peter.

Paul Athens

Paul Athens
Temporary Member
Thanks Peter. I looked at a 1989 M425 in Salem Massachusetts a couple months ago. The boat was on the hard and the mainsail had been removed from the mast furler. I'm 1.83 m and with the boom perpendicular to the mast, it was about 4 cm too low to clear my head. I understand the in mast furling does keep the boom at an angle but I'm surprised if it's as much as 2 m at the helm. The broker did offer that the boom is angled when the sail is unfurled and lifted the topping lift to demonstrate, but he also suggested the cockpit was not designed for a bimini.

Do you have a bimini over your cockpit? Do you know the clearance at the helm and in front of it? If I could install a bimini and stand at the helm (with shoes and perhaps a hat) with a clear view forward (through a clear connector to the dodger) I would buy that boat.

Or perhaps I'm misguided... I don't have much experience with center cockpit boats (although I've been aboard a 2000 Moody 42; it had a bimini and I could stand beneath it both in front and behind the helm)

Thanks again for your valuable insight.

Barry Cundy

Barry Cundy
Boat name
SUMMER WINE
Berth
Cruising No Fixed Abode
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
Uk, Brittany, Biscay
Paul,
I am 1.91m tall and the boom on SW is well clear of my head, so as Peter says it is probably 2m at the helm position and the boom is definitely not perpendicular to the mast, as can be seen in attached picture.
Regarding bimini; when we bought SW there was a small Bimini mounted on the cockpit edges, amongst other things it made getting in & out of the cockpit very difficult, with my height ..... so we went for the toe rail mounted option and new larger Bimini, which can be used whilst sailing and made an excellent rain cover during our cruise to Scotland last year!!!!
I can see over the spray hood and under the Bimini, when standing, but the front of the Bimini could probably be a little bit higher, however, as this is the ‘fixed’ end it wouldn’t be easy to alter.
As with most things on boats everything is a compromise !!

Regards Barry
4697DE82-C4F8-4682-BBC1-BBEF8811DCBD.jpeg

Paul Athens

Paul Athens
Temporary Member
Barry,

Your picture is super helpful, thank you. I'm going to follow up again with the owner of the 425 in Salem and see if a revisit might be in order.

Robert Cardinal

Robert Cardinal
Boat name
MOODY MISTRESS
Berth
Vancouver
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
Mediterranean
I'm 6'-1" tall. We have a full width bimini covering the cockpit. My head just clears the bottom of the bimini and is well clear of the boom. As others have said, the boat you looked at was not set up properly. Good luck in your search. A good friend just sold his 425 on the east coast of America and it was sold 2 days after listing for $120,000 US. Yes it was a very clean boat in very nice nick but it is a much smarter buy than spending $85,000 on a boat that needs lots of work.

Dick Holness

Dick Holness
GC Support Team
Boat name
CANTATA
Berth
East Coast
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Cruising area
East Coast France Belgium Holland
Paul is still looking, so I've bumped his thread up to the top again.