1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Duncan Hall

Duncan Hall Duncan Hall

Boat name:
    GOOSE
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    South Coast
    I have viewed a Moody 42 with a view to purchase. The vessel in in a poor state cosmetically having been stored a year on the hard in the UK with no dehumidifier in operation. The vessel has original rigging and salis and the engine has been sitting idle unserviced for at least a year. The saildrive seal has not been changed.

In assessing what would be required to bring the boat back up to a reasnoble condition. I presume new salis and rigging would cost about £5k and £3k respectivly.

Has anyone a view to what would the risks are with the engine and what could be done with upholstery that has been left in a very damp condition.

Advice appreciated.

2. Peter Wright

Peter Wright Peter Wright

Boat name:
    WILD THYME
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
    Hi Duncan,

The engine question is very dependent on how well it has been maintained over its lifetime. How does it look? Is it clean, rust free and leak free? How easily does it start? Does it smoke? You should certainly ask for it to be run up in your presence, accompanied by a marine engine mechanic if you're not familiar with them - not difficult to arrange on the hard.

The upholstery question depends on whether it's just damp or has had salt water on it at some time. Once salt gets into upholstery, it will alwaystend to absorb moisture from the atmosphere and I have found no good way of getting the salt out again. I would tell the vendor that you're adjusting the price down to allow for re-upholstering, cheap compared to a new engine.

I think your price for new sails is on the low side for a decent suit and your rigging price will likely only cover standing rigging. If the running rigging is in the samestate as the rest ofte boat, it's likely that will also need replacing, although a run through the washing machine while noones looking can do wonders for tired lines.

If the decks are looking green, start out with Patio Magic.

It's a shame people present basically sound yachts for sale in such a oor way, but if you get the price down accordingly, perhaps it's your good fortune.

Best of luck,

Peter

3. Duncan Hall

Duncan Hall Duncan Hall

Boat name:
    GOOSE
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    South Coast
    Thanks Peter.