1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 425 Hull Thickness

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Xavier de la Taille, 5/10/17.

1. Hello
    In order to order a sounder I would like to kox the thickness of the hull at the location where transducers are installed.
    The echopilot sounder may be provided whith two type of transducers ... depend of the hull and so on ..
    Thanks for help^.
    Xavier

2. Peter Wright

Peter Wright Peter Wright

Boat name:
    WILD THYME
    Berth:
    Suffolk Yacht Harbour
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
    Hi Xavier,

We fitted a bow thruster to Wild Thyme last winter, and the pieces we cut out for the tunnel were about 30 mm so, I imagine at the transducer location (On Wild Thyme, under the "lobby" outside the forecabin / forward heads) I would expect to find 20 -25 mm.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, hopefully, someone with a M425 out of the water will actually measure for you at the transducer. Please remember, these yachts were hand laid up, so there will be variations in thickness from boat to boat. When we replaced the raw water seacock, we found the hull was so thick that the valve was only hanging on to the skin fitting by 2 turns of thread, for the replacement we used an extra long skin fitting.

Peter.

p.s. This is not really the right forum for these technical issues, if you're a member of the MOA, please use the Information Exchange, if you're not a member and you own a Moody, please join us, it's not expensive and you will find plenty of useful information here which will save you a lot of time and more money than your subscription to the Association. P.

Last edited: 10/10/17
  3. Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles Neil Eccles General Committee

MOA Position:
    Website Editor
    Boat name:
    CUTAWAY
    Berth:
    Vannes
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
    Xavier - do you own this Moody 425 or is your question pre-purchase and hypothetical?

Kindest

Neil

4. Thanks Peter it will be useful to make a choice about the purchase of Echopilot transducer.
    Hy Neil, we just baught this pretty Moody 425 D5100 and we intend to join MOA soon.
    thanks for the help. I shall have many other questions about this boat nearly 30 years old.
    Xavier

5. Peter Wright

Peter Wright Peter Wright

Boat name:
    WILD THYME
    Berth:
    Suffolk Yacht Harbour
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
    Hi Xavier,

That makes her 2 boats newer than Wild Thyme, yard no. D5098.

No reason to delay joining the MOA, you will be amazed at the amount of useful information in the archives. As I said before, the savings you will make are far greater than the cost of membership.

Peter.