1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 44 General Questions

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Mark Thompson, 28/9/17.

1. Hello. I am looking to purchase a Moody 44 fin keel. I found some very good information on here regarding things to look out for with the 419 but I can't find anything this specific for the 44. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, I don't know. The boat in question is a 1992 year. Do the same pointers for the 419 apply to the 44 too? Are there any things in particular I should watch out for? Just looking for any obvious pointers really please.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me

Regards

Mark

2. Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles Neil Eccles General Committee

MOA Position:
    Website Editor
    Boat name:
    CUTAWAY
    Berth:
    Vannes
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
    Hi Mark,

Presumably you have looked at the old Moody archive here

https://moodyowners.org/Moody_Archives/36_boat.htm

As a guest, you can only post a general question, as a temporary member you could access everything on this site, but guest membership may be all you need.

The 44 and 419 are very different. The 44 is a more modern boat and was once said by David Moody to be "one of the best boats we have ever built". Certainly we would have one if there had been one on the market at the time of us buying. There were various configurations, some quite rare. There was a small "bunk bed" cabin forward in one variant, a large suite instead forward in another. The pilot berth was a dressing room in another and there was a wonderful version with lovely arm chairs at one side of the saloon.

The engine was a standard non turbo MD22L and it was shaft driven.

Hopefully a 44 owner will let you know the wrinkles.

Kindest

Neil

3. Thank you Neil for your quick reply. I look forward to any advice on offer.

Regards

Mark

4. Peter Sims

Peter Sims Peter Sims

Boat name:
    SIRI
    Berth:
    Ocean Quay Marina, Southampton
    Boat type:
    Moody 44
    Cruising area:
    Ionian
    Hi Mark
    I bought a 1997 M44 just over a year ago and very pleased with it in just about every respect.
    Biggest issue, I think, is the forestay attachment to bow fitting. There is a proper write up about this in the technical section but in short it needs to be changed if not already done so as the welded section is liable to work harden and crack.
    I can't think of any other problems that you wouldn't already look for in a boat of this age. Rigging, sails, electronics, engine and tanks are all obvious to inspect carefully.
    Keel studs are always a discussion topic with Moodys as they used mild steel rather than stainless and if water has been sitting in the bilge they will be rusty. Ultimately the nuts and (square) backing plates look badly corroded and may need replacing. Almost always the studs themselves are in good condition when pulled but all need checking.
    There are 4 steps on the transom and one each side into the cockpit that are teak faced ply. Also the cockpit floor and seats are teak faced ply. The teak will probably be in poor condition by now if not already replaced but it's not a difficult job to replace. Moody decking have all the templates and supplied me with premade solid teak ready caulked and bonded to a thin layer of GRP as replacements. I just cleaned out the old and dropped the new pieces in, fixing with the epoxy supplied as part of the package.
    I was very clear about what layout I wanted and managed to find it so pretty happy. I haven't heard of the option of a stateroom forward that Neil mentions above but anyway I wanted 3 cabins, with the pilot cabin aft replaced by a dressing room, and this all works very well. I also didn't want the fitted armchairs in the saloon and have the settee with much bigger folding table. It's worth looking at the various options that were available and deciding what works for you.
    My boat had a major refit several years ago so all in pretty good order. Maybe someone with one of the older boats will be along with other comments soon.
    Regards
    Peter

5. Hi Peter,

Excellent tips so thank you very much indeed. The one that I am going to look at does need it's teak bits replacing so it's very useful to know there is a kit out there for this. Thanks also for the keel bolt tips

Mark

6. Simon Whitehead

Simon Whitehead Simon Whitehead

Boat name:
    ANTARES
    Berth:
    Kip
    Boat type:
    Moody 44
    Cruising area:
    Scotland
    Hi Mark,

We bought a shoal keel 44 in February this year and have made it down to Lanzarote so far with no significant issues. All in all very happy with the boat. We have the 4 cabin version which provides a lot of storage space (which we need with 2 children). The only things I would prefer would be straight settees so you can sleep on them, a table which folds down (it folds in half fine but does not drop down). Though I imagine that would be a feasible project for a skilled carpenter. More battery power, a better fridge, easy access to the bilge locker, etc, would be ideal, but again all achievable in time and these are not specific to the 44.

The boat sails very well, easy to achieve 7-8 knots in F4 or F5, and upto 9 in optimum conditions. Also had some big seas and winds in the last few months and the boat felt very comfortable and manageable. For us it's the right size for a crew of 2 adults. Berthing needs a little practise with no bow thruster and centre cockpit steering, but we're getting there.

Our boat fortunately surveyed well, and the only mechanical issue so far is a leaking mixer box which I will replace in time. I haven't fixed the forestay issue (yet), we have an inner forestay too (to make a cutter rig) which is always in place, plus spinnaker and the second genoa halyards taut near the bow. But it will need sorting for peace of mind!

Very happy with the overall build quality and solidity, everything is as it should be. The heads mirror locker opens by itself in a big sea, but should be a relatively easy fix once I find the right kind of latch to secure it.

Our electrical panel and wiring has been tinkered with a little too much and this is a project that needs sorting out. Watch for that. There's quite a lot of work to be done here - take a look behind the switch panel to see how new items (eg AIS / nav equipment) have been wired in. Again, not specific to a 44, but nevertheless a headache.

Good luck!

Simon

7. Thank you Simon. The four cabin version is the model that I am going to look at. I have already looked at one and I liked it but it was a little rough around the edges and the owner couldn't see the work that was needed but I do like the four cabin layout for the amount of storage space. I'm sure the 44 is the right boat for me so it's just about finding the right one. Good luck in the Med and thanks again for your help

Mark