Moody DS 45 Moody 45 DS - what’s it like, and what can you do with it?

Daniel Poon

Daniel Poon
Registered Guest
Hello

My wife and I are looking to buy our first boat, and some of the older examples of the 45 DS are just about in budget. In terms of what we would be doing with it once we bought it - in a few years time we could be spending extended periods of time living on it, probably in the med to begin with, but would still have a place on dry land to go back to whenever we want to.

Given that it wouldn’t be our only home, we figure we could live in a 45 foot boat without going crazy, and 45 foot is the biggest we have ever sailed so far, so we comfortable that we would be able learn how to handle it with just the two of us. Apart from the med, at some point in the future we may well go further afield to the americas, or closer to home around norther Europe. I have no ambition to go round the world, but there are some lovely spots in far flung places I’d love to sail about. Never say never!

I’m an engineer by profession, and some of the boat construction on structural, safety critical components scares the bejeebers out of me. We may well end up pottering around the med, perfectly happy, and never do any blue water sailing, but I’d like to know that the safety factors are nice and high, and the boat has generally being over engineered. Plus as I may well be luck enough to be able to afford to buy a boat that keeps the blue water option open, so why not keep the dream alive?

I have two questions about the modern moodys. The first is whether they have the same ocean going perigee as the moodys of old. I’m not sure I will not be testing any boat to anywhere near its limit, but it would still be good to know. The deck saloon concept is great, but all that glass looks a bit fragile - I hope it isn’t a structural component, nor potentially a huge gaping hole for the ingress of water!

The second question is as to whether the deck saloon ends up being a great big green house in the Mediterranean sun. While the inside of a DS seems like a great place to be on watch on a long voyage in inclement weather, I presume the med was also one of its target markets, so I would guess they made sure it wouldn’t get too hot in there. I am also assuming that the deck saloon glass is not so tinted as to make night watch impossible from behind it.

Any feedback would be appreciated! We have clocking up a modest 1000 miles or so in the uk, med and canaries on mate’s boats or charters so, if you can, please pitch your answers at that level.

Thanks

Dan

Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles
General Committee
GC Support Team
MOA Position
Website Editor
Boat name
CUTAWAY
Berth
Vannes
Boat type
Moody 42
Cruising area
West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
Daniel,

We don't have many Moody 45DS owners, so maybe I can make some general remarks.

Firstly all Moodys are over engineered and that includes the 45DS. The designer Bill Dixon was very proud of that.

Moody 45DS will be easy to sail with 2 people, its set up for that.

For the Med you will need air conditioning installed, and if your boat doesn't have a generator to run it, that too. The heat will be huge, but conversely it is designed to open up for ventilation. The blue water option will be very open indeed. I would not worry about that, so as you say "never say never".

I like them because they have high gunwales, it is easy to walk around the deck.

I am sure you will be able to live on her without going stir crazy, but you do need a few escape plans from time to time. Being a virtual live aboard is like living on an island, where inhabitants have to get off occasionally to preserve sanity. So prepare for forays ashore to friends or your shore base to normalise yourself.

Sorry to be imprecise, good luck with your searches

Kindest

Neil

Daniel Poon

Daniel Poon
Registered Guest
Thanks Neil for the reassurance on the quality and your insights into living about such a boat. I too like the high gunwales.

Im sure I must sound paranoid about safety but our industry is not exactly steeped in glory. Not to single Oyster out, they build less than 1000 boats, and 1 of them failed. A layman would say that there is a 0.1% chance of your Oyster keel failing. I don't like those odds, layman or otherwise.