Miguel Alemao

Miguel Alemao
Boat name
Madrigal
Berth
Adelaide
Boat type
Moody 46
Hi, I currently have my eyes on a 1999 Moody 46. She is beautiful. I'll be inspecting her soon so I was wondering if any specific areas I should pay particular attention during the inspection? To current owners , would you be so kind to let me know the top 3 things you like the most about this model as well the 3 you like the least? thank you and hoping to join this forum as a proud owner of Moody soon. Miguel

Hi Miguel. I've just (two months ago) bought a 1999 M46, lying in Greece. It's too early to give any realistic views about what makes it a good boat but its reputation as a solid and comfortable cruiser seems well made; my wife really likes the arrangement below decks - without which buying the boat might have caused some marital disharmony. The little sailing we've done in her since was fabulous: very comfortable and secure.

The only point I've had drilled into me since I've been looking for a Moody is to check the keel bolts (studs actually) as they were originally mild steel and will be corroded if they haven't been changed. If they need to be changed that definitely needs to be reflected in the price.

Just out of interest, where is the boat: I wonder if I've seen it?

Good luck!

Hi Simon, Thank you for insight. Very good point on the keel bolts and will definitely look into. Have you changed yours? The boat is currently in Sydney/Australia whilst I'm based in Adelaide/Australia.
thanks and continue to enjoy your M46!

Hi Simon & Miguel,

Before rushing to change your keel studs, do a search for keel boats on this forum, not Moody 46 focussed because Marine Projects used the same studs on all models. The resulting rusting caused by any sea water that gets into the bilge seems to cause alarm amongst younger surveyors who have become accustomed to using stainless for this job. In most cases, the corrosion is just cosmetic and can be corrected by wire brushing and repainting.

If you are really concerned, you could draw one stud for inspection but, if you want to do that, make sure the bilge is clean and dry before you start so you don't get dirt and/or water into the tapped hole in the cast iron keel. Usually, when you try to unscrew the nut, the whole stud turns with it and unscrews from the keel. When replacing a stud, you will need to remake the joint around the stud to stop bilge water going down the hole.

In my opinion, dropping the keel is only necessary if the hull/keel joint is starting to fail, The surest sign of this is water squeezing out of the joint when the boat's weight is put down on her keel at haulout, but persistent rusting at the joint is also a symptom. What you don't want is water penetrating into this joint as far as the keel studs, this will initiate rusting of the loaded part of those studs which reduces their integrity.

Peter.

Good advice thanks Peter. We're in the middle of the job at present: it was flagged by the surveyor so has insurance implications I think. The four badly corroded nuts so far removed have revealed studs in good condition. None of the the other symptoms you describe are evident so some room for optimism.

Thank you Peter for your good advice and Simon for your follow up comments. Hope all goes well with you ongoing studs review. It surely looks that way.
if I get to the survey stage I will take the above comments into consideration for sure...

I think you must be looking at MADRIGAL, I looked at it on the internet while I was searching but inevitably it was too far away for us. It looks a nice boat, and well priced in my opinion. Good luck!

that is the one and agree it is fairly priced. if I may ask what steered you towards the M46?

I wanted an ocean capable cruiser that we would feel secure in when a long way from land: that narrows the field considerably. I was keen on Halberg Rassy but having looked at a few my wife didn't like the internal layout, and that also applied to many other types (Najads, Island Packets, Swans, etc.) but we were both very pleased with the Moodys we saw and sailed. The only problem being there were never many on the market. It's still too early to tell whether we were right of course but so far we're very pleased!

Thanks Peter and exactly what we are looking for too. Being “isolated in Australia “ narrows the market but i had so far looked into a swan 44 a Super Maramu 54 and a few others and the M46 seems to be closer to the mark. Let’s see how we go....

Thanks Peter and exactly what we are looking for too. Being “isolated in Australia “ narrows the market but i had so far looked into a swan 44 a Super Maramu 54 and a few others and the M46 seems to be closer to the mark. Let’s see how we go....
Sorry, I meant Simon ....

Hello Simon and Peter,
Just letting you know I have indeed purchased the Moody 46.
A question on the head sails/rig. Is it possible/recommendable to temporarily remove the baby stay while sailing locally and just stick with the main furling Genoa?
thanks
Miguel

Congratulations Miguel! I'll leave Peter to answer the question of forestay removal as I'm sure his experience will be more useful.

Congratulations Miguel! I'll leave Peter to answer the question of forestay removal as I'm sure his experience will be more useful.
Thanks Simon, very exciting times.. how did you go with the studs/keel job? Hope all went well..
just asking on the forestay because, as you have probably experienced, it is a little cumbersome to get the main genoa across on a tack....either we furl it prior to tacking or have a crew member going forward to help with the maneuver..

Thanks Simon, very exciting times.. how did you go with the studs/keel job? Hope all went well..
just asking on the forestay because, as you have probably experienced, it is a little cumbersome to get the main genoa across on a tack....either we furl it prior to tacking or have a crew member going forward to help with the maneuver..
PM coming.

Hi Miguel,

Firstly, now you've bought a Moody, it's time to sign up to the MOA - the annual fee of £22 is peanuts for the money you can save with advice from here. Whatever problem you find, you can e sure someone has found the same before you.

I'm not completely familiar with the M46 but, as far as I recall, she doesn't have a baby stay - that is an alternative to the forward lowers, joining the mast at the same height as the aft lowers (around the lower spreaders) and too close to the mast to be practical to set a sail on. Most M46's I recall are cutter rigged, so they have a cutter stay (or inner forestay) which joins the mast at about he height of the upper spreaders and is normally associated with running backstays to balance the loads. The inner forestay usually tacks down nearer the stemhead than the mast.

Firstly, with a staysail set on the cutter stay, it is not usual to set a full genoa on the forestay, but a yankee which is less than 1.5J wide and has the clew cut much higher. A Yankee should be no harder to tack through the slot than a 150% genoa is to get across ahead of forward lowers on a sloop. If yours is fouling on the way across, it might be worth looking into what is causing the problem - a smooth knot to join the yankee sheets to the clew can make a difference. I'm also starting to wonder if your boat has come with a big genoa, as she would be undercanvassed sailing with just yankee and main.

So, in my view, rigging and then unrigging a cutter stay is unlikely to be unsafe, but I would check with a rigger before making that change. However, rather than doing that, I would have a think about whether you want to sail her as a cutter or as a sloop then, if you prefer a sloop make the change permanent. If she becomes permanently a sloop, you could do away with the inner forestay, the running backstays and the staysail halyard and sheet - a simpler rig, if that's what you want. Otherwise, stick with the cutter rig - it has real advantages when you have to shorten sail .

Hopefully someone who has sailed a M45 will be along to advise you soon.

Peter.

Hi Miguel,

Firstly, now you've bought a Moody, it's time to sign up to the MOA - the annual fee of £22 is peanuts for the money you can save with advice from here. Whatever problem you find, you can e sure someone has found the same before you.

I'm not completely familiar with the M46 but, as far as I recall, she doesn't have a baby stay - that is an alternative to the forward lowers, joining the mast at the same height as the aft lowers (around the lower spreaders) and too close to the mast to be practical to set a sail on. Most M46's I recall are cutter rigged, so they have a cutter stay (or inner forestay) which joins the mast at about he height of the upper spreaders and is normally associated with running backstays to balance the loads. The inner forestay usually tacks down nearer the stemhead than the mast.

Firstly, with a staysail set on the cutter stay, it is not usual to set a full genoa on the forestay, but a yankee which is less than 1.5J wide and has the clew cut much higher. A Yankee should be no harder to tack through the slot than a 150% genoa is to get across ahead of forward lowers on a sloop. If yours is fouling on the way across, it might be worth looking into what is causing the problem - a smooth knot to join the yankee sheets to the clew can make a difference. I'm also starting to wonder if your boat has come with a big genoa, as she would be undercanvassed sailing with just yankee and main.

So, in my view, rigging and then unrigging a cutter stay is unlikely to be unsafe, but I would check with a rigger before making that change. However, rather than doing that, I would have a think about whether you want to sail her as a cutter or as a sloop then, if you prefer a sloop make the change permanent. If she becomes permanently a sloop, you could do away with the inner forestay, the running backstays and the staysail halyard and sheet - a simpler rig, if that's what you want. Otherwise, stick with the cutter rig - it has real advantages when you have to shorten sail .

Hopefully someone who has sailed a M45 will be along to advise you soon.

Peter.
Hi Peter, thanks once again. I will certainly sign up to the MOA. I suppose I just need to wait for settlement which will take place in the new year..
Firstly my apologies for using the wrong terminology . Still getting used to the English nautical terms. The M46 is indeed cutter rigged and therefore with an inner forestay and , you are also correct, with running backstays. A small self tacking headsail (yankee?) is set on the inner stay so a breeze to tack. The issue, as you anticipated, is tacking the main (large genoa) as it fouls on the way across. We definitely need the main genoa as otherwise will be undercanvassed sailing with just yankee and main unless under moderate wind conditions. At this stage i will stay with the cutter rig and spend a year or 2 learning about the boat and its various rigging possibilities.
thanks
Miguel

Hola Miguel, (supongo que eres quizas Español?)

The sail set on the inner forestay of a cutter, whether self tacking or not is known as a staysail. The sail set on the forestay, if cut with some overlap and a high clew, is called a yankee, the name of the first yacht to deploy such a sail. Typically, a yankee has less overlap than a traditional genoa, as it is overlapping both the main and the staysail. Before yankees, a cutter would have carried a working jib on the forestay.

The normal way to sail a cutter is with both staysail and yankee set - she shouldn't need a full 150% overlap genoa - and, as the wind gets up the yankee is progressively rolled up and the main reefed, She should balance brilliantly in a gale with just the staysail and double reefed main. Often, the staysail is provided with a deep reef, so you can use reefed staysail and triple reefed main in place of storm jib and trysail, although this still leaves a boom crashing about which is perhaps not the best for Southern Ocean storms.

Feliz navidad!

Peter.

Gracias Peter, (or obrigado as I am Portuguese ) for yet another educational insight on nautical terminology. In the attached picture you can see Madrigal's in all her glory. A great set up offering many options for different wind conditions. Really hoping a typical southern ocean storm is not one of them any time soon.....
Feliz Natal/Merry Christmas
Miguel

Attachments

• Moody 46 cc.jpg
    Moody 46 cc.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 314
Hi Miguel,

I'm sorry I guessed your nationality wrong, I'm afraid I don't speak much Portuguese. n joining the MOA, you will find other members who sail in Portuguese waters.

I trust your purchase will complete quickly so you can get to know your new yacht soon, she looks beautiful in the photo. I must ay, itlooks to me rather as if she has a full genoa set together wit the staysail which, in my experience, is unusual. I wonder what other M46 owners think?

As a guest, I'm not sure whether you get access to the Moody Archive. In case you don't, I'll replicate tha ail area data for the M46 from there:

SAIL AREAS
Inmast Furling Mainsail
41.0m²​
441 sq ft​
Furling Genoa
65.0m²​
699 sq ft​
Cutter rig yankee
52.5m²​
565 sq ft​
Self tacking staysail
19.6m²​
210 sq ft​

You can see from that why I consider Yankee plus staysail plenty of area in the fore triangle - considerably ore than the genoa by itself and I fear that Genoa plus staysail would leave her a bit unbalanced. Again the views of those with real experience of a M46 would be welcome.

Peter.

Hi Miguel,

I'm sorry I guessed your nationality wrong, I'm afraid I don't speak much Portuguese. n joining the MOA, you will find other members who sail in Portuguese waters.

I trust your purchase will complete quickly so you can get to know your new yacht soon, she looks beautiful in the photo. I must ay, itlooks to me rather as if she has a full genoa set together wit the staysail which, in my experience, is unusual. I wonder what other M46 owners think?

As a guest, I'm not sure whether you get access to the Moody Archive. In case you don't, I'll replicate tha ail area data for the M46 from there:

SAIL AREAS
Inmast Furling Mainsail
41.0m²​
441 sq ft​
Furling Genoa
65.0m²​
699 sq ft​
Cutter rig yankee
52.5m²​
565 sq ft​
Self tacking staysail
19.6m²​
210 sq ft​

You can see from that why I consider Yankee plus staysail plenty of area in the fore triangle - considerably ore than the genoa by itself and I fear that Genoa plus staysail would leave her a bit unbalanced. Again the views of those with real experience of a M46 would be welcome.

Peter.
Hi Peter, nothing to apologize for.
You are correct, she has a full genoa and that is what triggered my question about the inner stay/stay sail in the first place . For the most part a furling full genoa should handle most "pleasant" wind conditions without the need for a stay sail. Of course , and for the reasons you mentioned, it would be very handy to have a stay sail on longer passages for the flexibility it offers in particular under heavy weather. Either way I will stick with the current set up until such time I have a good feel for her and therefore able to make an informed decision.
thanks
Miguel

Hi all
Really sorry I hadn't seen this post earlier.....my fault. We have a late 2001 M46 (Cloud Nine of Plymouth) which we bought in April 2002 and have owned since....I think she may have been the last or one of the last M46's built. From 2002-5 we kept her in Hamble and sailed round the Solent and Channel. From 2005-2015 we sailed her to and round the Med, wintering in a wide variety of places and climates, from hot and humid (Sicily), to very wet (Dubrovnik and near Trieste).

Then in 2015 we sailed her from Dubrovnik to Grenada in the Caribbean, since when we have lived on for 3-4 months a year, sailing in the Trade winds to Antigua and back again. She is currently in Guadeloupe where we got stuck with CV....and we wrote an article on 'Lockdown in the Caribbean' in the last issue of 'Compass'. We have experienced a wide variety of conditions, and have sailed her in 50+knot winds on various occasions (including 68 knots constant off Morocco), in very heavy seas, motored for days across the the Med etc. She has the cutter rig, a shoal keel (1.6m), and davits on the rear for a 15 HP rib. We have a Cruising chute, which hasn't been used for 5 years!!

Best things......very sea worthy and she won't let you down, fabulous layout, and a dry cockpit in rough seas. She doesn't 'crash' into the wind, and performs very respectively against others. The galley layout is excellent in heavy seas and very enclosed.

Worst things....actually hardly any. Can be a 'wet boat', and we have rain coming into the bilge down the mast which we can't stop. Had a potentially major problem with the hose to the rear heads which illogically 'bends' behind the fridge and is nearly impossible to get out. Also you cannot stop sea water getting into the gas cupboard, and we have had a problem with it seeping into the rear heads. Biggest repair we have had was when the rear davits were causing the stern of the boat to decompose and we had to have extensive work done. Haven't had a problem with keel bolts apart from cosmetic. Rigging has been amazing and we only totally replaced ours last year even though there was no issue after annual checks.

Understand previous comments on tacking, but certainly in the Caribbean we don't tack!!! We go north on one tack and then south on the opposite tack!!! We don't really use the staysail but rely on a deeply reefed yankee and main, but in the past when going upwind in a stiff breeze then the combination of main and staysail works.

We have a quite sophisticated battery system which has been wonderful, and have an array of solar panels which have been amazing. Literally no issues with the engine, and in general she has been very very reliable.

So based on our experience, you have an excellent boat which will both look after you in all conditions and be a very comfortable boat to live on.

Really hope this is helpful but please feel free to contact me if you need any ideas or help.

Fair winds

Richard Hunter

Hi all
Really sorry I hadn't seen this post earlier.....my fault. We have a late 2001 M46 (Cloud Nine of Plymouth) which we bought in April 2002 and have owned since....I think she may have been the last or one of the last M46's built. From 2002-5 we kept her in Hamble and sailed round the Solent and Channel. From 2005-2015 we sailed her to and round the Med, wintering in a wide variety of places and climates, from hot and humid (Sicily), to very wet (Dubrovnik and near Trieste).

Then in 2015 we sailed her from Dubrovnik to Grenada in the Caribbean, since when we have lived on for 3-4 months a year, sailing in the Trade winds to Antigua and back again. She is currently in Guadeloupe where we got stuck with CV....and we wrote an article on 'Lockdown in the Caribbean' in the last issue of 'Compass'. We have experienced a wide variety of conditions, and have sailed her in 50+knot winds on various occasions (including 68 knots constant off Morocco), in very heavy seas, motored for days across the the Med etc. She has the cutter rig, a shoal keel (1.6m), and davits on the rear for a 15 HP rib. We have a Cruising chute, which hasn't been used for 5 years!!

Best things......very sea worthy and she won't let you down, fabulous layout, and a dry cockpit in rough seas. She doesn't 'crash' into the wind, and performs very respectively against others. The galley layout is excellent in heavy seas and very enclosed.

Worst things....actually hardly any. Can be a 'wet boat', and we have rain coming into the bilge down the mast which we can't stop. Had a potentially major problem with the hose to the rear heads which illogically 'bends' behind the fridge and is nearly impossible to get out. Also you cannot stop sea water getting into the gas cupboard, and we have had a problem with it seeping into the rear heads. Biggest repair we have had was when the rear davits were causing the stern of the boat to decompose and we had to have extensive work done. Haven't had a problem with keel bolts apart from cosmetic. Rigging has been amazing and we only totally replaced ours last year even though there was no issue after annual checks.

Understand previous comments on tacking, but certainly in the Caribbean we don't tack!!! We go north on one tack and then south on the opposite tack!!! We don't really use the staysail but rely on a deeply reefed yankee and main, but in the past when going upwind in a stiff breeze then the combination of main and staysail works.

We have a quite sophisticated battery system which has been wonderful, and have an array of solar panels which have been amazing. Literally no issues with the engine, and in general she has been very very reliable.

So based on our experience, you have an excellent boat which will both look after you in all conditions and be a very comfortable boat to live on.

Really hope this is helpful but please feel free to contact me if you need any ideas or help.

Fair winds

Richard Hunter
Hello Richard,
Thank you for detailing your experience as a M46 owner. The various positive points you report are precisely the reason we have decided on Madrigal. Comfort, safety and a hint of performance. Madrigal is also fitted with davits and although the surveyor did not report any issues, i will keep a close eye on that. Re the heads , good point. Although we checked the heads the owner mentioned they only use the fwd head which I thought it was odd at the time. With madrigal, both heads share the same holding tank. Is it the same with Cloud Nine?
Thank you once again and happy to share my own thoughts once I get the sail her a few nm.
fair winds and merry Christmas
Miguel

Hi Peter, nothing to apologize for.
You are correct, she has a full genoa and that is what triggered my question about the inner stay/stay sail in the first place . For the most part a furling full genoa should handle most "pleasant" wind conditions without the need for a stay sail. Of course , and for the reasons you mentioned, it would be very handy to have a stay sail on longer passages for the flexibility it offers in particular under heavy weather. Either way I will stick with the current set up until such time I have a good feel for her and therefore able to make an informed decision.
thanks
Miguel

Hi Miguel,

SAIL AREAS
Inmast Furling Mainsail
41.0m²​
441 sq ft​
Furling Genoa
65.0m²​
699 sq ft​
Cutter rig yankee
52.5m²​
565 sq ft​
Self tacking staysail
19.6m²​
210 sq ft​

Peter.
Hello Peter, sorry to bother you but i was wondering if you could help me with my MOA application. I have submitted my application twice (early Jan and 2 days ago) and so far haven't heard back from the Administrator.
Thanking you in advance.
Miguel

Hi all

Fair winds

Richard Hunter
Hello Richard,
I have now been a lucky owner of Madrigal (Moody 46 ) for a month and quickly learning about her. After 1000 miles passage from Sydney to Adelaide the "to do list" keeps growing. Amongst a few other aspects I also came across with an issue with the toilet in the aft cabin. Although the sucking/pumping works it does not flush/rinse (water does not come from the top). I need to use the shower for that purpose. Initially I thought it could be a faulty solenoid but reading your post it could be related to illogical bent hose behind the fridge. Do you have further insight on that and how you fixed it?
On a different matter , do you see a strong need for the runners? The rigging seems extremely strong to me so not sure if the runners are there for improved rig performance or actually for structural purposes? For the next few years I will be mostly doing coastal cruising so thinking in removing the runners (for simplicity/aesthetic purposes) and only re instate them once/if I'm ready for longer offshore undertakings.
thank you and fair winds
Miguel

Hi Miguel,

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulty joining the MOA, that is not our intention-all Moody Owners are most welcome here.

I have e-mailed, Kevin Morgan, our Membership Secretary drawing attention to your problem, hopefully he will get it sorted soon. I'm reluctant to post his e-mail address in this publically accessible forum.

I'm afraid I have no personal knowledge of the admin arrangements around membership - I joined nearly 12 years ago without problem and I was not in the UK when I did so.

All the best and looking forward to seeing you post on here as a full member.

Peter.

Hi Miguel,

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulty joining the MOA, that is not our intention-all Moody Owners are most welcome here.

I have e-mailed, Kevin Morgan, our Membership Secretary drawing attention to your problem, hopefully he will get it sorted soon. I'm reluctant to post his e-mail address in this publically accessible forum.

I'm afraid I have no personal knowledge of the admin arrangements around membership - I joined nearly 12 years ago without problem and I was not in the UK when I did so.

All the best and looking forward to seeing you post on here as a full member.

Peter.
Hi Peter, thanks for helping out. Kevin has since reached out and provided the necessary link to complete the application. I am now a proud member of MOA!
Regards,
Miguel

Great news.

Peter.

I have a 2006 M46. I have the sail rig that Peter Wright described--cutter rigged, staysail and Yankee jib. Under 20-23 knots of wind, I use the Yankee with the staysail furled. Tacking is not hard, but I'll usually ask someone to go forward and be ready to walk the Yankee across the bow if necessary. Winds over 20-23, staysail and she sails very comfortably. I usually put a small reef in the main when wind is over 15; don't have to take in more until wind gets close to 30.

Your toilets. If you have a solenoid, you must have electric toilets, so no pumping. I put in electric toilets in both heads and plumbed them to the fresh water system, so no real issues. There is a solenoid on each to flush/rinse. I tend to hug the shore and duckling in if necessary to get water is not a problem. In the USA, we largely have to use holding tanks so we have to duck in a fair amount. I sailed on a M47 from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas that had electric heads. One was fresh wafer; one salt. But the boat had a water maker, so no issues. And we did use the manual pump and discharged over board--we were usually 40-50 miles off shore.

If you have sailed 1000 miles, you know the vessel's sailing characteristics. Easy and comfortable offshore. In light wind she'll do 6 knots if trimmed well; comes to life in wind > 15. In heavy breezes, just reef the main and use the staysail. She sits up and is comfortable. Open ocean is what she was designed for and handles well. Below decks, the layout is great. I had the forward berth going to Cabo San Lucas and even in swells or a breeze was quite comfortable,.

Back