1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 46 Questions

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Brent Troncalli, 4/4/17.

1. First of all thanks for the ability to sign up as a guest. I am looking very closely at purchasing a1999 Moody 46 here in the states. I am going to view the boat in another few days as I travel to Florida. I have two questions.

1) does anyone know the size or the fridge or freezer? I cannot seem to find this anywhere and for a family of five on a live aboard it is important.

2) are there any specifics on a Moody 46 that I need to look at during inspection? Particular problem areas?

I thank you ahead of time and hope to join the group as an owner in a couple of months.

2. Michael Barrett

Michael Barrett Michael Barrett

Boat name:
    WHITE STAR
    Berth:
    Fishing Bay Harbor Marina
    Boat type:
    Moody 46
    Cruising area:
    Chesapeake Bay, Usa
    I have a 2000 M46. I do not know the size of either freezer or fridge except to say the freezer is good size. It is top loading and freezes quite effectively. On my boat, the frig is front-loading and mounted fore-aft so when opening the door, heeling is not much of an issue. For a family of five, I suspect you would be stressing things, but to be honest, I think that would hold true for almost any sailboat in the 46-46 range. We often sail with 3 aboard, 3 adults, and space is not an issue, but we are not living aboard and are often just cruising locally along the shore with the option to shop for food every 3-4 days.

Besides the usual things that wear over 17 years, M46/47 boats were plagued with leaky rudder seals. Early on the leaks appeared owing to a faulty seal provided by Lewmar. Marine Projects (now Princess Yachts), the company which built most M46/M47s for Moody, stood by the product and replaced the seals at no expense if brought to their attention. The previous owner of my boat was amazed to see Princess fly a guy to NYC to make the repair. Most boats were fixed, but it is something you should check. If the boat is not heavily loaded, the problem will not appear at anchor as the rudder tube end at the quadrant will be above the water line. But under way or motoring hard or heavily loaded, the stern will "squat" and the tube will be under the waterline and water will leak in. IF you can't check it while looking at the boat, make a note for the surveyor to do so when testing the boat at WOT. The quadrant/rudder are accessed by pulling the bed up in the aft cabin. If you can use the Technical Library as a guest, the previous owner of my boat, George Dymond, wrote an article about it.

The other unique plague is the poor seal around the two lazarettes at the stern. There is a lip on the inside rim of each lazarette that has two scupper outlets in it, the idea being to drain off any water coming down the deck from the front of the boat. There is a scupper just by the admidships docking cleat, but then the next one is just by the stern docking cleat--next to the lazarette. If these get plugged (very easy in a marina with leaves, pine straw, etc.) the water will pool by the lazarette. IF you have the lazarette really dogged down, it usually keeps any water out, but the gasket around the rim can loose its oomph, and then (or if the lazarette is just shut but not dogged down) water will enter and go right into that lip. IF the two scupper drains are not clogged, the water drains out at the stern. But if the scupper outlets get plugged, and that is even easier than the deck ones), water will cascade over the lip into the lazarette. Hardly a deal-breaking flaw and fixed by either replacing the gasket/grommet often (it's a refrigerator seal) or just really dogging down the lazarette hatch. You should do that routinely, but that is where the power cords go, the pump for the inflatable, the fenders, etc., and so easy to just drop shut as who wants to un-dog it all the time?

Otherwise, I can think of no real weakness. Like any older boat, the headliner can sag owing to the effects of heat on the glue after 17 years, but in almost every spot it can be pulled off easily and under it is hard white plastic, that once cleaned of the glue residue looks just as good as the former vinyl. I wrote an article on how to do this which appeared in Compass (the Moody Owner Mag and available on this site).

Otherwise, the M46 is an awesome boat that will take you anywhere safely and comfortably. You'll quit before she does. Draws a lot of nice compliments about lines. Just give her a good going over and then compare to the Benes, Hunters and others of similar size, and you'll see what a value a Moody is. There is just not much comparison to the joinery, build quality, and feel. I'm on my second Moody in the Chesapeake area, and have not had any issues getting parts or repairs done. Most of the OEM stuff was standard make for boats that size.

Michael Barrett

3. Thank you Michael for taking the time to answer this. It is a great help.

4. Thomas Saxe

Thomas Saxe Thomas Saxe

Boat name:
    ALADDIN
    Berth:
    Washington, NC
    Boat type:
    Moody 46
    Cruising area:
    USA East Coast
    Just checking in after a while. Did you buy the boat? I can give you a perspective from an off shore angle. All good comments. Love the boat and the live aboard aspects
    Tom Saxe
    Aladdin M46
    Washington NC