Moody 47 Moody 46 vs 47

• Thread starter Lee Adams
  • Start date
L

Lee Adams

Hi all,

Just after some opinions on the differences between a Moody 46 and 47, as we currently have a 41ft AWB (Average White Boat) which we have sailed to the Canaries from the UK and looking to head across the Atlantic in the future. Although our current boat will do it OK, thinking of something more "substantial" for our future travels and Moody 44 (possibly not enough of a size leap) and 46/47 are some of the options.

I know the 46 is older than the 47, but any significant differences?

Thanks

LA

Lee
We have a 47 Swanwick built in 1984.
She has completed two circumnavigations. 1999-2001 then 2002-2005.
We bought her in 2005 and gave sailed from the uk to Turkey the long way around.
She is heavy for her size at 23 Tonnes which means she can deal with big seas.
Rigging is 12mm stainless and has been described as southern ocean rigging.
I'd be happy to take her ajywhere. Always felt safe and secure especially because of the centre cockpit.

Thanks and thinking of something around the year 2000 to 2004, which I think still look very strong and capable boats. Just after more opinions really as we love our current boat BUT we are moored (here in the Canaries) next to a few centre cockpit 46/47 foot boats (one being a Rassy 46 - way out of our price range) and after having been aboard then they seem to offer a lot more space for stuff like a washing machine, work area, etc than what we have .

I have a M46 year 2000. I understand the sole difference between the M47 and M46 of the 1999-2005 period to be 6" in length and a few pounds in displacement to accommodate gas pistons in the stern to raise/lower the swim platform. The M46 platform is raised with a small line. Last November my wife and I accompanied some friends who have a M47 in the Baja Ha-Ha, an ocean rally of some 750 miles from San Diego California to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Having owned my M46 since 2013 and spent 10 days on the friends' M47, the interiors are identical as are the sailing characteristics. Conditions were pretty nice so no real test of the boat. But I think the M46 and M47 are almost identical and they will go anywhere. Our friends took their M47 around Vancouver ISland before heading to California, and he merely remarked "this boat was made for these conditions." Find either the M46 or M47 in good condition and you can't go wrong.

Michael Barrett

Thanks and any more opinions welcomed!

Hi Lee,
we own Blue Goose, a M46 (build Nr.5 from 1998) since 2009 and we can recommend this type at any time. No differences to M47 except raising the swim platform (as Michael told you) and a better price. Moody's had built 55 of them and then about 45 M47s as a "upgrade". Avoid the M49 (only 8 of them exist) which is also quite the same hull, but not in massive GRP but with balsa core in the hull in order to be more sportive and lighter. This may be a risk when small damages occur.
When we were seeking for a boat we also inspected some M44s, but there is a very substantial difference in build qualitiy and weight (and price). Don't take a dark blue one! Blue Gelcoat doesn't like the sun as I had to realize...
Teak deck is quite thick and will last for another ten years, I think. But I have to change the seams as they all get sticky by UV degradation.
The boat is quite good for an elderly couple as we are and when there is more than 3 bft, she gets rather quick and is very comfortable even in heavy seas. Currently we keep her in the Aegean sea where it is windy enough at times.
Good luck with your research.
Rainer Funke

Back