• We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Moody 47

Garth MacLean

Garth MacLean
Registered Guest
HI
Looking at a mid 2000's Moody 47.
Do all Moody yachts have a cast iron keel and steel keelbolts?
Are the teak decks and cockpits full thickness hardwood or are they laminate?

Thanks in advance for your info.

Stuart Wineberg

Stuart Wineberg
Boat name
MOODY BLUE
Berth
Ocean Village
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Cruising area
Channel Coast
I’m sure an owner of this model will come along but generally, to Q1 yes
Teak decks are timber, cockpits are laminated and deteriorate and have often been replaced and upgraded

Michael Barrett

Michael Barrett
Boat name
WHITE STAR
Berth
Fishing Bay Harbor Marina
Boat type
Moody 46
Cruising area
Chesapeake Bay, Usa
I have a M46, year 2000. Had a 38CC, year 2002. Both have iron keels and mild steel keel bolts. There is a lot of traffic in the tech library about surveyors disliking rusted mild steel keel bolts. Somewhere in the tech library literature I read the reason why Moody chose mild steel. It was a logical one, and in 99.9% of the accounts, when a bolt was pulled, the rust was limited to the locking nut and bit of exposed bolt emerging from the nut. A non-issue.

My decking is sold teak. The outer edges were both glued down and held with screws. One can see the plugs. All the inner planks were glued down. No leaks, and the two or three other M46 owners I know have not had issues.

Cockpit seats are laminated and the lamination fails after ten years or so near the curve at the stern owing to water pooling by the drain holes on both sides. The drain holes are too high. Chipped out my seats and replaced them with solid 8mm strips. No issues but the drain holes are still too high. No real solution. I have a bimini so it is not too much of a problem.

Michael Barrett

Garth MacLean

Garth MacLean
Registered Guest
I have a M46, year 2000. Had a 38CC, year 2002. Both have iron keels and mild steel keel bolts. There is a lot of traffic in the tech library about surveyors disliking rusted mild steel keel bolts. Somewhere in the tech library literature I read the reason why Moody chose mild steel. It was a logical one, and in 99.9% of the accounts, when a bolt was pulled, the rust was limited to the locking nut and bit of exposed bolt emerging from the nut. A non-issue.

My decking is sold teak. The outer edges were both glued down and held with screws. One can see the plugs. All the inner planks were glued down. No leaks, and the two or three other M46 owners I know have not had issues.

Cockpit seats are laminated and the lamination fails after ten years or so near the curve at the stern owing to water pooling by the drain holes on both sides. The drain holes are too high. Chipped out my seats and replaced them with solid 8mm strips. No issues but the drain holes are still too high. No real solution. I have a bimini so it is not too much of a problem.

Michael Barrett
Thanks for your reply. My concern would obviously be the screws on a balsa cored deck.

Cheers

Michael Barrett

Michael Barrett
Boat name
WHITE STAR
Berth
Fishing Bay Harbor Marina
Boat type
Moody 46
Cruising area
Chesapeake Bay, Usa
Mr. MacLean,

As far as I know, Moody sailboats have cored decks except for areas where backing plate support is needed. Then it is solid plywood. The M46 and M47 have cored decks and indeed hulls above the waterline are cored as well. Nonetheless, this has not posed any leakage issues on my vessel where the teak is screwed down--the outer border or frame, one plank wide. In-between was all glued.

The sole in the cockpit is teak laminate like the cockpit seats. I have replaced my seats (as have many Moody owners) with solid teak. This spring I intend to sand down the sole laminate and seal with with the stuff I use on my seats and cap rails. I have had no water issues with the sole but it is simply dirty and scruffy after all these years. A light sanding should not penetrate the laminate.

Best,

M.B. Barrett