1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody 54 Cc Changing Electrical System From Eu 240v To Usa 110v

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Ted Merwe, 24/7/16.

1. I'm looking to purchase a Moody 54 cc in Europe and ship the vessel to the USA. The question is what do I need to know and do to change electrical shore & onboard power from EU 240v to USA 110v ? Your valued input is appreciated. Thanks Ted

2. Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles Neil Eccles Executive Committee

MOA Position:
    Website Editor
    Boat name:
    CUTAWAY
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
    Just to update everyone - Ted first emailed me privately and this is the substance of that exchange. No doubt the experts will tell me where I went wrong and / or add more. I am hoping Ted is going to become a temporary members since he will want to know much about the boats.

Hi Ted,
    Thanks for your email - this kind of question is really one where you need to be a temporary member to benefit. See this page for options
    http://moodyowners.org/joining-options/
    I have checked the technical resources and can find the owners handbook for each of the Moody 46 and Moody 54 in there - they are big documents, one is 74 pages and one 100 or so. They both include electrical schematics in detail.
    I can try and help you personally - these are my personal views - I am not a professional and do not take the information below as anything but an amateur’s musings. They do not constitute a response from or the advice of the MOA. YOU MUST CONSULT A US PROFESSIONAL MARINE ELECTRICIAN.
    To answer generally though:
    • Any boat you buy which originated in Europe will be 220 - 240V 50Hz
    • The two models you are looking at are different in that the Moody 46 is 12V DC and the Moody 54 is 24V DC and usually has a generator installed.
    • The sockets with be UK 3 pin “square” pins - 240V. The shore power cabling in the boat will be half the amperage capacity than that required by 110 - 120V installations. You won’t be able to just change the sockets.
    • The battery chargers will be 240V 50Hz but they may be universal - some chargers will work on 60Hz as well as 50Hz and some (a few only) 110 - 120V or 220 to 240V switchable - you would need to check
    • The generator on the Moody 54 may output 240V 50 Hz
    • There may be other equipment which is 240V 50Hz - e.g. Air Conditioning
    • Any equipment containing a motor running 240V 50Hz will not run properly at 60Hz
    I don’t believe you can just put in a step up transformer from 110V 60Hz shore power, you would need some kind of device which changes the frequency as well as the voltage.
    Remember - treat these views as personal thoughts, not advice, and please don’t hold me responsible for any action you might take or opinion you might form. YOU DO NEED A MARINE ELECTRICIAN!
    I hope this helps with your quest.
    Kind regards
    Neil Eccles
    Volunteer website editor
    Moody Owners Association

On 21 Jul 2016, at 07:06, Ted VdMerwe wrote:

I'm a guest member researching both the Moody 46 & 54 although I leaning to purchasing the 54 in Europe as there are none available in the USA.
    What I require are the "electrical schematics" for the Moody 54 to help me ascertain the cost of either adding either a step-up transformer (110V to 220V) or rewiring the whole vessel. The specs on the sie are not clear whether the electrics are 220v 50Hhz or 220v 60Hz could you please clarify?
    The marine electrician in USA needs this to be able to give me an approximate cost.
    Your help is appreciated
    Ted

Then Ted sent me a few thoughts of his own

Neil

Just to update you in regards to step-up 110v to 220v 50Hz if someone else has the same issue. I found this transformer that might do the trick without any hassles it fixes the 50Hz problem. The only other issue I would have is the TV as USA uses a different system and its 110v which I could run of the inverter.

See: http://www.charlesindustries.com/main/iso_guard.html

Your thoughts on the above?

As I'm going to spend $450,000 on the Moody 54 me thinks temporary memberships is the way to go.

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.
    Ted

image-1.png image.png

Last edited: 24/7/16
  3. Thanks for your help Neil it is appreciated. I need to clear up one more issue in regards to the vessels internal wiring. I've been told by a marine electrician in the USA that I would need to rewire as EU wiring won't handle 110v - however a USA Moody owner has informed me that he kept the EU wiring and after 15 years has had no issues. So my dilemma now is "Do I rewire or keep existing wiring"???

4. Neil Eccles

MOA Position:
    Website Editor
    Boat name:
    CUTAWAY
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    Hi Ted, it is all about current. If you convert the boats internal electrics to 110V then to run an equivalent item you would need twice the current the the cable is designed to carry. This won't matter for low current items say a small fan or an iPhone charger, but will be significant for heaters and kettles. The calorifier heater and its.cabling would need to be changed.

If you go the step up route, using a 1:2 transformer, you will have to use all 220V appliances, still have the frequency problem for any mains motors but won't have to replace the cable.

Only you can mak that decision, but on the face of it your electrician is right if you convert the whole boat to 110V.

But - what is the voltage output of the generator? I would suspect 220V. Is the Air conditioning 220V? Also do you have any 220V alternators fitted to the engine?

These would need thinking about too.

Hope this helps

Kindest

Neil

5. Neil,look at the transformer above were I circled the specs, seems this transformer allows for 50Hz and 60Hz - I coulde wrong - your comments appreciated. Really love the Moody 54.

6. Neil Eccles

MOA Position:
    Website Editor
    Boat name:
    CUTAWAY
    Boat type:
    Moody 42
    Cruising area:
    Hi Ted

The transformer can cope with 50 - 60 Hz as I read it but no transformer will change the frequency. 60Hz in 60Hz out.

The only way round this is to use an inverter system to do the conversion. If you do this you put virtually anything in and get whatever you want out! I don't know about this kit though.

Ted we shouldn't continue this discussion on this forum. If you join I'll move it to the Info Exchange to widen the appeal and preserve it for others to read later. This forum is wiped ever 3 or so months

Kindest

Neil

Last edited: 24/7/16
  7. That's interesting, I found this solution which does two important things needed to keep equipment as is. By using a frequency converter, you can convert both 60Hz to 50Hz and 50Hz to 60Hz for home appliances, it is also a voltage converter for changing 110V to 220V.

I will talk to marine electrician this week about the above, hopefully be able get USA shore power 110v in and then convert to 220v 50Hz - *See: See: http://www.gohz.com/how-to-convert-60hz-to-50hz

Update coming soon!
    Ted