1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Brooke Morgan

Brooke Morgan Brooke Morgan Temporary Member

I must admit I am new to the Moody brand. I am from the US and have focused my searches there until now. I have recently moved to the Netherlands and am considering the Purchase of a 2004 54. I am a little confused by some of the review and the time line of the company. One of the reviews I read said that the boats are only costal sailors but I see many have done circumnavigations.

Is that limited to the ones built before 2004 or does that include the ones since the take over?
    Were the ones built in 2004 done by the old company or the new?
    What are some of the known flaws with that year of production?

My husband is very smitten with what we have seen of the boat on the internet. It is designed by the same person that we were looking at in the US. It is beautiful inside and out on the photos. I just can't seem to get a lot of information on them from the internet. I like going into a purchase like this with as much information as I can and I am frustrated that I can't find out more in my search...help!

2. Peter Wright

Peter Wright Peter Wright

Boat name:
    WILD THYME
    Boat type:
    Moody 425
    Cruising area:
    North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
    Hi Brooke and welcome to our association.

Firstly, you should know that I have never sailed a DS 54, our current boat is a 425 from an earlier era - all it has in common with the DS 54 is Bill Dixon.

Having said that, for decades before the Moody brand was sold to Hanse, the yachts were actually built by Marine Projects in Plymouth, not Moody themselves.

If you want to assess the design quality of the DS 54, look at all the wonderful yachts conceived by Bill Dixon, not just Moodys. To assess the build quality, look at the Hanse yachts - in my view one of the better production brands of today.

While I am a bit traditional and so not a great fan of the Moody DS range's appearance, I do see how Bill Dixon has been really innovative with this design. As to seaworthiness, one of these (don't remember if it was a 54 or a 62) finished successfully in a recent Sidney - Hobart race, an event which offers more severe weather challenge than.circumnavigatkons which use the canals to avoid the capes. They seem to have attracted a significant following in Australia, where even coastal sailing is done in the Southern Ocean

Hopefully, a DS54 owner will be along soon to help you with real experience and knowledge.

Regarding those reviews, remember to believe only 10% of what you read and half what you see!

Peter

3. Brooke Morgan

Peter,
    I thank you for your response. This boat is not a DS but of the earlier styling and that is why I suspect that it was built before Hanse took over. Hanse on their website says that the new DS is designed as a costal cruiser...

I am keen on the bill Dixon boats and their styling. I am hopeful to see this boat in the next couple of weeks when my husband gets home from his travels. Magill is super excited to see the boat too. We have waited a LONG time to start out dream cruise and worked very hard to make that happen. We would like to get a boat soon, take a couple of years to get to know it and then cast off.

4. Laurence Gandar

Laurence Gandar Laurence Gandar Executive Committee

MOA Position:
    Compass Advertising Manager
    Boat name:
    MISTRAL DANCER
    Boat type:
    Moody 376
    Cruising area:
    Solent, English Channel
    Brooke
    I assume you have searched the boat archives and found the details of the M 54
    http://moodyowners.org/Moody_Archives/87_boat.htm
    Also our Tech library has the manual albeit not complete.
    http://www.moodyowners.info/resources/moody54-manual-incomplete.358/
    As far as being for coastal sailing, this is nonsense. Many have completed the ARC and further afield. They are certainly capable of a round the World trip as several of our members will testify.
    The M54 was designed by Bill Dixon and built by Marine Projects in Poole UK (from 1999 to 2004) as were most of the boats up to 2004 when production was taken over by VT Halmatic in Portchester.
    You won't be disappointed!
    Regards
    Laurence

5. Pete Rowland

Pete Rowland Peter Rowland

Boat name:
    APRIL LASS
    Boat type:
    Moody 31 MkII
    Cruising area:
    Solent
    Brooke, compared to some of the smaller Moody's there aren't as many of the large yachts around which probably reflects less information available about them. That said I have sailed a friends Moody 54 on several occasions. What struck me was how easy it was for two of us to crew it across channel, around the Solent and Poole without any real worries. Manoeuvering around a marina all very simple as the boat with stores, water and fuel weighs probably 20 tonnes so stays were you put it. The hull is cored which helps keep the boat cool in a hot summer and warm in the winter.

I thought the yacht was just superb as we came back across the channel at 10 knots in a F8 powering along under reefed main and genoa. Indeed having timed our passage to arrive at the Needles at low water because the Needles channel in a very strong SW blow can be fearsome, I was slightly concerned when we arrived over an hour early. A change of plan meant we came in by the North Channel instead. Life on board in the F8 on the beam was comfortable, we cooked made tea and kept a look out whilst the auto pilot did all the work. A little bit of spray came across the deck occasionally but given the conditions I was surprised there wasn't more. The big electric winches made sail trim a delight.

You asked if this is a coastal yacht, well definitely not, indeed the yacht is current spending its second summer in Finland. If you would like to contact the owner for an unbiased opinion then feel free to drop Dockhead a message on Cruiser Forums. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/members/dockhead-22367.html he is one of your fellow countrymen.

However, do think carefully if the deep draught will fit in with your cruising plans or be too limiting. Also you won't be able to lift things like the Genoa on your own. I can't and couldn't when I sailed Nicolson 55s in my twenties, they weigh more than me, but do make a great bed.

Peter

Last edited: 7/9/16
  6. Brooke Morgan

Thank you for the great info!

7. Brooke Morgan

Peter,
    Thank you for sharing your experience with me. We have considered the draught and are ok with it. I have made the argument for a smaller boat with my husband made on all practicality. I am the one doing all the research and he making the money. He just won't go smaller no how hard I try. So there are some things that I just won't be able to do alone...

8. Brooke, wow, what a great problem to have. Moody 54. Lovely.