Moody 41 Moody DS 41

Hi David,
There are some members who are DS41 owners. Hopefully one or more of them will respond.

I'm new to this forum. Looking for any info on the Moody DS 41. I am intrigued by the design. Thank you.
David,
There are several videos on the web which give a good 'tour' of the DS41 (ashore and afloat).
See also https://www.yachtingworld.com/reviews/boat-tests/moody-41ds-decksaloon-lifestyle

Inspiration Marine (+44 (0) 2380 457 008) at Hamble Point have a brochure but it puts style over substance (and in pdf form it is huge at 13MB). The videos are more informative.
Do you have any specific questions?
Cheers
Bob
Hull 26

Bob,

Thanks for getting back to me. It is funny, with these posts one does not know from where they originate. I am in Washington state in the United States. There are very few Moody DS41 in this country and certainly not one for sale. I have seen all the videos, the brochure and feel I have a basic knowledge of the boat. Perhaps I should see if I can purchase one in Europe and have it shipped here. Or, visit the shipyard in Germany. For the layout, I would favor the B3 with guest head. I was wondering about the difference between the 57 hp engine and 83 hp. Fuel burn, hull speed.
Any other thoughts?
Thank you.

David Shinstrom

David,
I will have the 57hp engine. I won't be visiting Germany during the build - too much Covid admin with little reward.
The UK agent, who sailed a DS41 with that engine last week, tells me he had 7kn at 2,000 rpm. That is plenty good enough for me.
I chartered a Hanse 40' last week which had a 38hp engine we never went above 1,800rpm. (Fuel was calculated at 2.6 litres/hour @ 2,000rpm),
I hear that Covid has upset several manufacturers transatlantic sales and delivery plans. Also global supply issues are causing delays. Order books are lengthing as people avoid flying and fresh pandemic lockdowns abroad. One boatbuilder (Not Moody/Hanse) told me he was taking orders now for delivery in 2024.
In your position, I would first check to see if Hanse/Moody are attending the Seattle Boat show in February 2022 and tackle them there.
If not, I should have taken delivery of mine by February and will be able to provide you with feedback if you PM me.
Cheers
Bob
P.S. I'm used to the 8hr time difference - my grandaughter is in the USN in San Diego.

Bob,

Thank you so much for responding. It is unfortunate COVID has altered the usual procedures.
7 kn is plenty for me, also so the 53 hp should be adequate.
Sounds like you are well on the way to become a DS41 owner if you are taking delivery in February. I still have to decide to make the commitment. Your input is most helpful.
I will check to see if Hanse/Moody will be at the Seattle Boat show.

David

Hi David.
Sorry for the delay in replying to your post. (Been away on holiday)
We became the proud owner of "Into The Blue" Hull number 8 Moody 41 Ds.
Because of Covid delays we only took delivery of the boat in September and had a week getting to live on board and having a very pleasant sail on Southampton Water where she achieved a very respectable 7knots in fairly light winds.
Living on board was delightful with the 360 degree views from the saloon.
The boat was then shown at the Southampton Show where she created great interest with queues forming to get an interior view.
She is now back on her home berth in Plymouth where we look forward to using her throughout the winter thanks to the internal helm position.
I understand all the Moody models were being shown at Annapolis boat show.
Hope this helps.
Alan/Kim Stevenson

Alan/Kim
No worries about the delayed reply. I'm thankful that you did respond. It sounds as though your 41DS is all you wanted it to be. I don't think it was at the Annapolis boat show. A 45DS was I am told by a broker I know. I am certain the 41DS is the right boat for me but despair over the 18 month build time. One of the features you mention, the internal helm, is a huge plus. I am in the US and I understand one is to be delivered to Florida in December. I just may have to go take a look at it. Smooth sailing.

David Shinstrom

Hi David.
Because of Covid delays we only took delivery of the boat in September and had a week getting to live on board and having a very pleasant sail on Southampton Water where she achieved a very respectable 7knots in fairly light winds.
The boat was then shown at the Southampton Show where she created great interest with queues forming to get an interior view.
She is now back on her home berth in Plymouth where we look forward to using her throughout the winter thanks to the internal helm position.
Hope this helps.
Alan/Kim Stevenson
Alan & Kim,

It was great to be able to see your boat at Southampton. She is absolutely fabulous and has an astonishing amount of storage space for the size. A great boat for long-term cruising in our changeable weather - enjoy!

Fair winds,

Stuart

Hi Stuart.
Glad you had chance to visit the boat at Southampton and hope you didn't have to queue too long. Also many thanks for your kind remarks re "Into The Blue".
It was a frustrating time waiting for her with a 3 month delay due to World conditions!!
We think she is a big step up from our previous Jeanneau 41Ds.,
I'm sure David will be suitably impressed when he manages to locate one in the States.
Regards.
Alan/Kim.

Alan/Kim
No worries about the delayed reply. I'm thankful that you did respond. It sounds as though your 41DS is all you wanted it to be. I don't think it was at the Annapolis boat show. A 45DS was I am told by a broker I know. I am certain the 41DS is the right boat for me but despair over the 18 month build time. One of the features you mention, the internal helm, is a huge plus. I am in the US and I understand one is to be delivered to Florida in December. I just may have to go take a look at it. Smooth sailing.

David Shinstrom
Hi David-

Paal Gisholt here. I am the owner expecting the Moody 41 DS to be delivered in Florida in December. I bought her sight unseen due to Covid and circumstances so can't offer much of an opinion beyond the videos, etc.

We don't have fixed plans just yet re delivery date or being there -- I am based out of Massachusetts, but would be happy to help you to get a look at her if we can work out the logistics. I am working with Alan Baines at Berthon USA and he's been excellent to deal with.

Look forward to taking possession and reporting back and being in a better position to answer questions!

Cheers,
Paal

Paal,

Nice to hear from you. I am envious, if only I had discovered this boat a couple years ago to place an order as have you. I wish it didn't take 18 months to deliver. Like you, I have only seen the videos. It would be extremely valuable to actually be able to walk through the boat. I appreciate your willingness to see if we can make that happen. I have been working with Steve Neidhardt, a broker with Seattle yachts. He may contact your Hanse importer. I live in Washington state in the San Juan Islands. I have a dear friend in Florida that I will be visiting in December. It would be fabulous to combine that with a trip to see your boat. I have questions about which options you chose especially with cabin layout. Two heads or one? Color of hull? So many choices.
Thanks again.

Paal,

Nice to hear from you. I am envious, if only I had discovered this boat a couple years ago to place an order as have you. I wish it didn't take 18 months to deliver. Like you, I have only seen the videos. It would be extremely valuable to actually be able to walk through the boat. I appreciate your willingness to see if we can make that happen. I have been working with Steve Neidhardt, a broker with Seattle yachts. He may contact your broker or I live in Washington state in the San Juan Islands. I have a dear friend in Florida that I will be visiting in December. It would be fabulous to combine that with a trip to see your boat. I have questions about which options you chose especially with cabin layout. Two heads or one? Color of hull? So many choices.
Thanks again.

Paal,

I hate to bug you. Any update on a potential delivery date in Palm Beach for your Moody 41 DS? I will be going to Florida sometime in December. It would be nice to combine that trip with a visit to Palm Beach to tour your 41 DS. I really appreciate your willingness to allow me to do this. Thanks.

Fave

Paal,

I hate to bug you. Any update on a potential delivery date in Palm Beach for your Moody 41 DS? I will be going to Florida sometime in December. It would be nice to combine that trip with a visit to Palm Beach to tour your 41 DS. I really appreciate your willingness to allow me to do this. Thanks.

Fave
Dave, not Fave

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site, and thank you for accepting me.

I have a MOODY 41DS, a demonstration boat that I bought in Germany. It is called JUJI, hull number 11.

I started my trip from Borgwedel in Germany in mid June this year, and sailed in stages. Today the boat is in Brest, and I will continue, probably the Bay of Biscay at the end of this year.

I have about 400 hours of navigation, half sailing and half motoring.

Honestly, I had concerns, more or less serious, and it is with pleasure that I will be able to warn future buyers on certain points.

Good sailing to everyone,

Jacques

Attachments

• 20210923_182338[1].jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 267
  • 20210625_200626[1].jpg
    20210625_200626[1].jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 244
Hello Jacques and other DS41 owners. I have ordered a DS41 due to be completed in April next year. Has anyone installed solar panels on their coachroof? If so, what make and size did you install? Are there any areas where you would advise I focus on at handover when I pick her up at Greifswald (she'll be commissioned by a 3rd party there) prior to delivering her to the UK.

The aim is to fit solar panels and lithium power pack and resolve any snagging issues with the broker, Inspiration Marine, at Hamble Point before taking a leisurely cruise over the summer to her home berth on the West Coast of Scotland.

Andrew

Dave, not Fave
Hi Dave-

Unfortunately by the time my MOody 41. Was completed, the canal shut down, preventing me from taking delivery down south. We wiull instead be taking delivery in Newport, RI in May. If you happen to be in that neighborhood, the offer still stands to come by and check it out.

Sorry!

Hi Dave-

Unfortunately by the time my MOody 41. Was completed, the canal shut down, preventing me from taking delivery down south. We wiull instead be taking delivery in Newport, RI in May. If you happen to be in that neighborhood, the offer still stands to come by and check it out.

Sorry!
Paal,

Thanks for letting me know. Sorry about the glitch. Actually, my broker in Seattle somehow found out and let me know. Perhaps a May trip to Newport. Happy holidays.

Dave

Hello,

I put solar panels on Juji's roof, 4 120Watts panels, 2 on port and 2 on starboard.
The problem is the panel connectors which can tear off with the passage of the mainsail sheet.
I had some protective parts made, and I hope to install them in early February. I'll post pictures when it's done.
The other problem is the passage of cables. There is apparently nothing planned, and I cannot get any information from the manufacturer or the dealer ...
I also discovered, after the last navigation (the Bay of Biscay), other problems with the boat. The quality is really not there ... It was surely better before, when it was an English company?
I will tell you more, if I can come to an agreement with the manufacturer and / or the dealer. For the moment, it is a big conflict, which relates among other things to points of safety, and the non support of problems of guarantee.
If you buy a boat from this brand, try to keep a 10% for few months, to be sure the boat is ok, or, maybe take a expert to check.

To all of you, happy new year, and good navigation!

Jacques

Hello Jacques
PM sent to you
Bob Wilcox
Hull 26

Hello,

I'm Marco from Munich, Germany. I just ordered the DS 41 Hull#31 - Delivery should be in March/April. Im glad to get any hints, what to take special care of while taking over the boat from the yard.

Marco

Hi David.
Hope this helps.
Alan/Kim Stevenson
Hello Alan,
I have the hull n° 11, it is that of the paper brochure. I have many issues, and in conflict with the dealer... How was your experience?
Can you find a way to sail with only 2 winches? Sometimes a bit difficult...
Best,
Jacques

Hello Alan,
I have the hull n° 11, it is that of the paper brochure. I have many issues, and in conflict with the dealer... How was your experience?
Can you find a way to sail with only 2 winches? Sometimes a bit difficult...
Best,
Jacques
Evening Jacques.

Been away for a few days and only just picked up your message.
In answer to your queries. The only issues I have had with the boat so far are as follows:-

1) We discovered that both steering wheel centre cogs were showing signs of rust. This was not a Hanse problem
but caused by the suppliers Jefa of Denmark using a contaminated polisher on their products.
2) Some minor blemishes on the outside GRP.
Both of the above issues were resolved amicably by our broker Inspiration Marine.

Unfortunately due to lots of inclement weather in the UK over recent weeks and other commitments, we have not
had a lot of chance to get out sailing. When we have been out the boat has sailed really well and I did'nt find it a problem
with only two winches.

We hope your problems get resolved so you can enjoy what we feel is a superb liveaboard boat.

Regards.
Alan and Kim Stevenson (Into The Blue).

Hi Dave-

Sorry!
Paal,

It has been awhile. But, thought I would contact you to see the status of delivery for your Moody 41DS. Last you reported delivery to Newport RI in May. I appreciate your willingness to provide me with a tour when delivery has occurred. I will be in Maine mid-July. Perhaps that will be a good time. Thank you.

David Shinstrom

Hello,

I'm Marco from Munich, Germany. I just ordered the DS 41 Hull#31 - Delivery should be in March/April. Im glad to get any hints, what to take special care of while taking over the boat from the yard.

Marco
Hello Marco,

Did you receive your MOODY 41DS? If yes, it is possible to have a look? I have few problems with my, and I'm interrested to compare.

Also, it seems a lot of accessories are difficult to find, like blinders, sun protections, etc..

Best regards,

Jacques

Dear All,
Just for info for those experiencing delayed delivery, I have recently taken possession of my DS41 - Hull #26 [i.e. Number 16]. (It is still missing the correct upholstery). Here are my dates:-
Order: 7th April 2021
Contract Handover Date: "January 2022"
Actual UK 'Handover Day': 21st June 2022
(Handover identified several issues that needed attention before possession)
Possession 5th July 2022.

Cheers
Bob

Adding to Bob's update. My order status on DS41 Hull #037:

Ordered: 12th July 2021
Contract Handover Date: April 2022
Current Status: left factory 18th July (on 20th April it was marked as due to leave factory 20th June) and sitting on the hard awaiting parts (still to be advised what is missing)
Next Stage: Inspection, any issues rectified by Hanse/Moody, commissioning, then owner assisted delivery passage to Scotland.

Hope that's helpful for those waiting.

Andrew

Door Keys:-
I need at least one spare door key (for the marina staff). I find it difficult to believe how this can be a problem, but it is!
See my BASI BM posting on the Technical forum.
If you are awaiting delivery and you need extra keys, I suggest you demand them before handover.
Cheers
Bob

Bob, I expect to be in Greifswald for the handover of Sùlaire in mid-September. If you can source keys there, or have them delivered to the yard, I can bring them back on our delivery passage to the UK and then pop them in the post to you.

Andrew

Andrew,
That's a great offer. On the technical thread, I have posted progress with changing the barrel of the lock. If that doesn't work, I'll get back to you.
Regards
Bob

Back