• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Moody Eclipse 38

Peter Dollin

Peter Dollin
Registered Guest
My wife and I are looking to buy a deck saloon boat and the Eclipse 38 seems to fit the bill. We have sold our Jeaneau 32 which we berthed in Hamble and are keen to replace it.
We would be pleased to hear if there is one for sale but failing that would be grateful if a current owner would be good enough to allow us to view their boat to confirm that this is the right model for us.
Peter Dollin

Paul Crickmore

Paul Crickmore
Boat name
JONIKA
Berth
Whitehaven
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 33
Cruising area
UK West Coast
Hi Peter,
Seeing that you're coming from a Jeanneau 32, I assume you are happy with the fact the Eclipse 38 has only two cabins? The saloon on the 38 can't be converted as the table is fixed. The same is also true of the Mk2 Eclipse 33, but the Mk1 has a lowering table to provide another (apparently very comfy) double berth. There seems to be an Eclipse 38 for sale on theyachtmarket, but it's in the Netherlands. Do you have a preference for location? According to the archives, only 24 Eclipse 38s were built, so they don't come up very often and you may have quite a wait.
Have you considered the Eclipse 33? The amount of space aboard is remarkable for a boat of its length and with 253 having been built they appear far more often. I'd say the space aboard is near comparable to a 3-cabin Bavaria 36 with one cabin devoted to cockpit locker. The heads is palatial! There is a very good review available from the Yachting Monthly website.
God luck with your search!
Paul

Peter Dollin

Peter Dollin
Registered Guest
Good morning Paul
Thanks for your prompt reply. We initially considered the “33” but seeing the larger fore peak bed and extra heads of the “38” we thought this might be more comfortable for 2 couples cruising.
I am aware that a “38” is advertised in Holland and have tried to make contact but felt I would like to see one before venturing further. Following your suggestion I think we should also re-consider the “33”.
Any further thoughts from members would be welcome.
Peter

David Woolgar

David Woolgar
Boat name
JEMMA
Berth
Medway
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 38
Cruising area
East Coast
Hi Peter
We have an Eclipse 38 and you would be welcome to come and look around her. Jemma is at North Fambridge on the river Crouch in Essex if you are interested? If you are near the Hamble there are two Eclipse 38's in Hythe Marina and I might be able to contact one of the owners for you.
They are lovely yachts and I am afraid we will not be selling Jemma for a very long time!
Just to correct something Paul said in his reply - Jemma has a saloon table that drops to allow a double berth in the saloon. I think there was the option of either this or a rather nice bottle store under a fixed table and many owners chose this. We have never used the additional berths so would rather have had the bottles storage!
David

Peter Dollin

Peter Dollin
Registered Guest
Thanks David
That’s very generous of you to invite us aboard ‘Jemma’. We live in North Staffordshire so any journey to the coast is quite lengthy.
We have a son living in Hamble so travelling to that area has it’s attractions but if that is not feasible we would be very pleased to accept your offer and arrange a trip to Essex.
Peter

David Woolgar

David Woolgar
Boat name
JEMMA
Berth
Medway
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 38
Cruising area
East Coast
Hi Peter
I will see if I can contact a Hampshire based Eclipse 38 owner. If not, if you let me know a contact number or email I will get in touch to see if we can arrange a mutually convenient date to visit Jemma. I live in Kent so it's an hour and a half drive for me across the dreaded Dartford Crossing!
David

J

Jose Vicuna

Hi all, I am also searching for a Moody DS as from 33' upwards.
David, as an owner of an Eclipse 38, maybe you can help me to understand a doubt I got reading about some reports: In the sales brochure for the Eclipse 38 it was specified that the ship has a displacement of 21,406 lbs (9,710 Kg), but in the Moody Boat Archive from the MOA the displacement is stated as
Displacement 7373 kg 16,250 lbs (and the Ballast as 2950 kg 6500 lbs).
I always thought that the "displacement" indicates the total weight of a ship ready to sail without cargo... What is the real weight or displacement of the Eclipse 38 then, 21,406 lbs or 16,250 lbs?
Thanks in advance
Jose

J

Jose Vicuna

Hi all,
I logged my question for David, but in fear that he may not see it, I would like to extend it to anyone reading here and in possession of that knowledge. I would much appreciate an answer, as it causes me a doubt concerning my interpretation of some information concerning Moody robustness.
Thanks
Jose

David Woolgar

David Woolgar
Boat name
JEMMA
Berth
Medway
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 38
Cruising area
East Coast
Hi Jose

I have always understood the 'official' displacement to be 16,250lbs or 7373kgs. Maybe the sales brochure was printed before they finalised the specification, or was just a miss print.

Regarding the 'real weight' when I have Jemma lifted every year her actual weight with empty water tank but full fuel tank and my usual cruising inventory is 11,750kgs.

I hope this helps.
David

J

Jose Vicuna

Thanks, David.
That clears my doubt and may help others to understand the discrepancy concerning what was advertised and specified. I believe that error was also introduced in brochures of other Moody sizes and models, but I have to check again.
Though I feel still a little perplexed: If I deduct the round 250 Kg fuel weight from Jemma's weight, I get that you carry an inventory of around 4,127 Kg. ...
Isn't that a lot of stuff?

Your words will be most welcomed.
Jose

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi David,

That's a hell of a cruising inventory for a 38 footer - 4 .375 tonnes! I would expect 2 -2.5 tonnes, which makes me wonder whether it may be the Moody Archive that is in error.

Peter

David Woolgar

David Woolgar
Boat name
JEMMA
Berth
Medway
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 38
Cruising area
East Coast
Hi Jose/Peter

Although I always carry a fair amount of spares and tools on board I do not think it can be anywhere near 4 tons! After all we lift out usually in February or March and we have already taken off a lot of stuff like the bikes, a lot of food and drink, most of our personal gear and all the 'spare' bedding and the BBQ! Thinking about it we don't have that much food and drink on board (maybe 50kgs) and clothes and bedding (maybe another 20kgs), there is a kedge anchor and scope which might be 70kgs, a dinghy and outboard (60 kgs), a liferaft (30 kgs), spare fuel (15 kgs), bosuns spares including quite a bit of rope (maybe 70 kgs), tools (20 kgs) and other spares for the engine etc. (20 kgs) which all adds up to less than 400kgs!

That makes the 'displacement' (or at least the true weight in 'sailaway' trim to be a bit over 11.25 tonnes!

The crane driver at Chatham Maritime Marina assures me his weight gauge is accurate so all I know is that is what she weighs!

David

J

Jose Vicuna

Thanks, David, for the detailled shelling of the different contributing weights. And, as you say, if all the 'additional gear' sums up round 400 Kg, then Peter may be right in thinking that it is maybe the Moody Archive what contains the error. That would make true the stated displacement in Moody's advertising brochure for the 38 Eclipse DS, announced as 9,710 Kg. Quite a solid displacement for that size of boat, I believe, in comparison with modern mass production boats.
How does it feel sailing the 38 Eclipse.? It has a fairly high superstructure while boosting only a shallow draft and keel and also a fair beam... Does it 'swing' a lot?

Jose

David Woolgar

David Woolgar
Boat name
JEMMA
Berth
Medway
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 38
Cruising area
East Coast
Hi Jose
My wife and I both think she sails very well and other Eclipse 38 owners we know agree. She is as fast as any other 'heavy' cruising yacht and will usual beat a Bavaria 38 or 40! She is not a racing boat and tends to need some wind before she will start to sail well. Anything less than a force 3 and we use the 60hp engine.

Although shallow draft the Eclipse 38's have a 'Sheel' keel with a very large bulb at the bottom so she stands up well to her canvas and does not roll unduly. They also hold a course well as the keel is quite long compared to many.

I hope this helps and good luck in finding a yacht.
David

J

Jose Vicuna

Thanks a lot for the information and wish of luck, David.

Jose

Jose Vicuna

Temporary Member
Hi Peter (Wright),
Although I now have temporary access, I haven't got the right to access members' files and data, hence I can not get your private e-mail.
I have a personal question to place. Would you pls send me a private e-mail to jose@vicuna.es?
Hope this breaks no rule and also does not disturb you.
Cheers
Jose

Hi Peter,
Not sure if my above post and request got to your attention... Would appreciate a short answer if possible and not inconvenient.
I also would want to give you a call for a personal question if you convey me your number and the best time for ringing you up.

Thanks
Jose

Peter Dollin

Peter Dollin
Registered Guest
I would like to thank the Moody Owners forum for allowing my temporary membership which has been most helpful. My wife, Sylvia, and I would particularly like to thank David Woolgar and Lyn for kindly showing us around his lovely “Jemma” which has confirmed our decision that an Eclipse 38 is the boat for us....if only we can find one!
Many thanks, Peter