Moody Eclipse 43 Moody Eclipse 43 - looking for some advise and feedback

Dears,

we are actually looking at a Moody 43 Eclipse DS as a boat for liveaboard, sailing North Sea, Baltics and round UK,
thereafter Med and later ocean crossing and maby one day circumnavigation.
We are searching for a safe boat which wich is capable to get along with strong winds, and is a decent sailor in cruising.
We are not searching for a racer, safety is important same as easy handlling with 2 persons and a dog.
minimum draft is of importance for us as well.
noted that details on the 43 DS are verly limited in this forum, maby here is anybody who can give some advise if this boat is seaworthy
as a bluewater yacht - and maby some comparisons to the 42/44CC with regards to sailing behavior.

Many thanks in advance.
best regards
Marc

Peter Sims

Peter Sims
Boat name
SIRI
Berth
Lefkas Marina
Boat type
Moody 44 (90s)
Cruising area
Ionian
Hi Marc
I can't give you a comparison with the Eclipse as I've never seen one. My 1996 M44 is an excellent sea boat. A delight to sail as well balanced and easy to sail. She is shoal draft so loses a little with leeway going to windward in light airs but otherwise performs better than I expected before buying her. If you have any particular questions I will do my best to answer
Regards
Peter

Hi Peter,
many thanks. There is actually one 1994 44 to buy in Germany these days. We will take a look at her, see in what condition she is
and come back with further questions :)

Anyhow - if there is still anyboy who can give any advise about a 43 Eclipse DS - this would be really appreciated.

best regards
Marc

David Woolgar

David Woolgar
Boat name
JEMMA
Berth
Medway
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 38
Cruising area
East Coast
Hi Marc
Sorry, I do not own an Eclipse 43 but the smaller Eclipse 38. I have sailed briefly on a 43 and they seem very similar. Judging by the Eclipse 38 I would say the Eclipse 43 would do everything that you want to do. They sail surprisingly well once the wind gets to Force 3 or above. All sail controls can be handled from the cockpit to keep you safe. I have experienced a Force 8 gale in the North Sea and the boat behaved perfectly and the ability to keep watch from the deck saloon makes long voyages and cold weather a lot more enjoyable. We sail with two persons and a dog on board all the time! I would perhaps have aluminium or steel covers made for the large front windows of the deck saloon if I were crossing oceans but apart from that I would be happy to do so. I know Eclipse 43's have crossed the Atlantic with no problems and the fact that there are several in Australia probably means they have sailed there too.

Good luck and maybe see you in the North Sea or Baltic sometime.

David