• We've just upgraded this forum to a major new version. It looks slightly different and has different menu options.

Please let me know if there are any issues you encounter with this upgrade, I'm still getting my head round it! Tolerance and a bit of time would be most appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Moody Excel 31 Moody Excel 31

Mehmet Kucuktabak

MEHMET KUCUKTABAK
Registered Guest
Hello everyone,

I am going to buy a 2001 model Moody Excel 31 next week. When I searched the net about Moody Excel 31, I could not find enough information except that they, little amount, were built by Prouts Catamarans, not by Marine Projects between 1999 and 2001 as well as for Greek Charter firms. As far as I understood that Prouts Catamarans started production of Moody Excel 31 after Marine Projects stopped Moody S 31 production and the same molds of Moody S 31 were used for Moody S 31 to build by Prout Catamarans . That is all I got the information on the web, especially the info on the web page of www.moodyowners.org.

I have some question in my mind about Moody Excel 31 comparing with Moody S 31;
1- Are there any difference between Moody S 31 and Moody Excel 31 in terms of the quality of material used for production?

2- Are there any difference between Moody S 31 and Moody Excel 31 in terms of the configuration

3- I searched the all web in order to find Moody Excel 31 for selling but I could not find any except two Moody Excel 31. One of them is selling advertisement given two years and I learned it had been bought from Greek Charter company. The other is the advertisement of Moody Excel 31 which I am going to buy. That Moody Excel 31 had been also bought from NELSON yacht charter company, I thing from Greece. As a result how many Moody Excel 31 was built and why can I found ony Moody Excel 31 for selling although there are a lot of Moody S 31 for selling on the web.

I would be grateful if I can get information about above questions as well as extra information on Moody Excel 31 that will help me to take true decision.
Thanks a lot to everyone supporting me in advance,

Mehmet KUCUKTABAK

Dick Holness

Dick Holness
Boat name
CANTATA
Berth
East Coast
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Cruising area
East Coast France Belgium Holland
Hello Mehmet,
There were about 145 of the Moody S31 built, but very few of the Excel 31, but the number does not seem to be recorded anywhere.
I think that the boats should have been built to the same level of quality even though they were built at different boatyards.
But I think that perhaps boats built for the charter companies like Neilson have fewer features to keep the price down - I have seen pictures of the inside of a charter boat and the saloon furniture was not quite the same as the S31 that I used to have.
You should not pay very much money for a boat that was used by Neilson! Is the boat that you are going to buy advertised on the internet? Can you reply with a link to the advertisement so that I can read it?
The design is a very good sailing boat and you are making a good choice.

Mehmet Kucuktabak

MEHMET KUCUKTABAK
Registered Guest
Dear Dick,

Thank you for your quick response and the information you provided.

Two days ago, I and my friend who is boat expert visited and examined in detail two sailing boats at different yacht marine locations for the purpose of taking a decision on buying one of them or not. One of is 1997 Moody S 31 and the other is 2001 Moody Excel 31. Since I am not a sailing boat expert I, I could not find out big differences on boat quality and boat configuration. They seem same configuration and quality in terms of production material. Although 1997 Moody S31 keeps its originality and factory configuration even same engine at 3000 hours as well as cooker, etc. since twenty years, 2001 Moody Excel 31 has new engine (changed 9 yeras ago, new main sail and genoa sail at the age of 5 year old, new spray-hood, new sun awning bimini (2017) and new cooker as well as including an air conditioner installed later. On the other hand, 1997 Moody S 31 is sold by second owner and no charter history but 2001 Moody Excel 31 has a Nelson charter history. I am not sure and not clear idea on that having a charter history for a boat is a good or bad in terms of the boat well kept. Someones say it is not good because boats are hired and having bad usage. On the other hand, someones say good because maintenance of boats performed regularly by charter company.

Giving the links of advertisement for the sailing boat I mentioned and giving ,especially negatively, comments on them here may not be right regarding the commercial rights of the sellers. For this purpose, I can share the detailed information of those two boats with you by e-mail. My e-mail is kucuktabak@hotmail.com.

I would appreciate you if you provide me informed on this issue and share your valuable comments with me.

Best regards,
Mehmet KUCUKTABAK

Dick Holness

Dick Holness
Boat name
CANTATA
Berth
East Coast
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Cruising area
East Coast France Belgium Holland
Mehmet, I did not realise that you have seen both boats and compared them. And also I think you are saying that the charter boat now belongs to a private owner who has spent money on improvements.
I have started a 'conversation' with you via this website which is private between us, nobody else can read it. You will have been told about this by an email from the site.

Stuart Punshon

Stuart Punshon
Boat name
CABERNET
Berth
Plymouth Yacht Haven
Boat type
Moody S31
Cruising area
Southwest
I have owned, both a Marine projects built 1998 S31 & a 2001 Prout Built Excel.

I can safely say that the boats were both built to the same standard. There are slight differences both good and bad between the builders. I will try to list a few key points below.

-Having changed the skin fittings on both, the hull thickness (layup) are exactly the same.
-Interior joinery is much the same (Prout Built, has thinner cabin doors and some of the mouldings are slightly more basic- hard to notice though.)
-Engines both Volvo MD 2020.
-Deck equipment much the same, Prout had slightly lager Genoa winches (lewmar 8's as apposed to 6's on MP)
-I found although both boats had a good electrical installation, the Prout boat was a neater install.
-Better lighting on the MP Boat.
-Both boats have a thin teak veneer cockpit teak, that will need changing if it hasn't already.

I have also seen a few pics of Prout boats without wood panelling on the walls in the saloon area, although my boat had this as did the MP built boat.

As for buying an ex charter boat, as long as the boat is structurally good and you get it for the right price they can make an excellent buy. Plenty of saving on a private UK boat, and more money to put into making the boat how you want. Boats were always maintained for charter, mostly cosmetic work to be done.

Both my boats were ex Neilson, and i refitted the Prout built boat to a high standard (better than most UK private boats on the Market at the time) for a lot less than buying a good private S31. That also included me having it re-sprayed.

Hope that helps a little.

Tim Rothwell

Tim Rothwell
Boat name
KISMET
Berth
Dartmouth
Boat type
Moody Excel 34
Cruising area
SW, N Brittany, CI
Hi Mehmet
Just to tell you that I have a 2001 Moody 34 excel which was built by Prout's just before they went out of business and apart from one or two little niggles I can't fault the overall quality of the build and materials used. Now I know that it is a different boat from the Excel 31 but in the last days of a business, generally, the workers are not particularly well motivated and my understanding is that the writing was on the wall for Prout's long before the axe fell so one would normally expect that quality would have really suffered, but not apparently so. Apparently Prout's had twice as many employees as they needed to build what they had on order so on paper, more man hours than were needed went into each boat. I have no issues with overall quality on the Excel 34. I'd rather have her than a more common, 'production' yacht. I suspect that the Excel 31 too has a similar quality standard. Best wishes on your purchase. Tim.