• Have you included your external contact details on this post? Please include your email address and or phone number on your post otherwise non MOA members will not be able to reply to you

Wanted Moody S31 Bilge Keel or similar

Boat name
JIGSAW
Berth
Dittisham, Devon
Boat type
Moody S31
Cruising area
SW coast
New temporary member
My wife Jenny and I are looking for a well loved Moody S31 Bilge Keeler. This is our first venture into owning a bigger boat. We are both getting on in years so would rather go sailing than take on a project - time and tide etc.
We are looking for an older boat as we don't have infinite funds and though we ideally want a boat that has had most of the expensive refitting done within the last few years, we would look at one that needed the refit if the price was right and it had been well cared for to date.
We live in Devon and are willing to travel to find the right boat. It is all about the right boat isn't it?
My shortlist of bilge / twin keel boats around 30 foot also comprises Sadler 29, (would love a Sadler 290 but can't afford any I have seen), Westerly Fulmars, various Hunters like the Horizon 30, Hunter Legends (most of which are also above budget)
My wife is the sailor, I the crew and I do the grunt work like this research. It is Jenny's passion - she has a Devon yawl now but she spent a year in her 20s sailing the Med in a small yacht on a shoe string. Until recently she was crewing for the Wednesday night races locally. So you can imagine that she wants a boat that will sail well including to wind and in light airs - hence looking at bilge keels with good sailing design properties. Open to suggestions of other boats to meet the criteria.
Like so many people, I have been searching for months and several times have just been pipped at the post - just missed a lovely looking Fulmar in Plymouth this week. So this is a blatant attempt to get ahead of the market and find something before it instantly disappears! ... and to fulfill someone's dream ...

Hi Chris, we are selling a Moody 29 bilge keel which was launched in 1983 for around £17500. Much work done in the past 6 years and a recent survey has been carried out. See advert on Moody website or e mail ianpole8@gmail.com . The boat is currently afloat at Lochcarron on the west coast of Scotland.

Hi Chris
I bought my S31 18 months ago and love it - wheel steer and bilge keel - only 1.2m draft and can dry out.
The quality of finish is excellent and its built to last. I am now a Moody convert! The rear cabin is enormous and the toilet is a decent size with shower. The saloon berths are at least 6ft and wide enough to sleep on.
On top of that we won our first cruiser race of the season on Saturday up agains 10 other boats.
You won't be disappointed if you choose an S31
Steve

Hi Chris, we are selling a Moody 29 bilge keel which was launched in 1983 for around £17500. Much work done in the past 6 years and a recent survey has been carried out. See advert on Moody website or e mail ianpole8@gmail.com . The boat is currently afloat at Lochcarron on the west coast of Scotland.
Thanks for asking Ian but I am hanging out for an S31 - like Steve says, space and a great sailer

New temporary member
My wife Jenny and I are looking for a well loved Moody S31 Bilge Keeler. This is our first venture into owning a bigger boat. We are both getting on in years so would rather go sailing than take on a project - time and tide etc.
We are looking for an older boat as we don't have infinite funds and though we ideally want a boat that has had most of the expensive refitting done within the last few years, we would look at one that needed the refit if the price was right and it had been well cared for to date.
We live in Devon and are willing to travel to find the right boat. It is all about the right boat isn't it?
My shortlist of bilge / twin keel boats around 30 foot also comprises Sadler 29, (would love a Sadler 290 but can't afford any I have seen), Westerly Fulmars, various Hunters like the Horizon 30, Hunter Legends (most of which are also above budget)
My wife is the sailor, I the crew and I do the grunt work like this research. It is Jenny's passion - she has a Devon yawl now but she spent a year in her 20s sailing the Med in a small yacht on a shoe string. Until recently she was crewing for the Wednesday night races locally. So you can imagine that she wants a boat that will sail well including to wind and in light airs - hence looking at bilge keels with good sailing design properties. Open to suggestions of other boats to meet the criteria.
Like so many people, I have been searching for months and several times have just been pipped at the post - just missed a lovely looking Fulmar in Plymouth this week. So this is a blatant attempt to get ahead of the market and find something before it instantly disappears! ... and to fulfill someone's dream ...
I have a 1996 S31 bilge keeler that I am thinking of selling. Moored in west wales. Good inventory and ‘well loved’. Still deciding, but obviously offer price will have an influence on which way I go. What is your price range for an ideal boat?

I have a 1996 S31 bilge keeler that I am thinking of selling. Moored in west wales. Good inventory and ‘well loved’. Still deciding, but obviously offer price will have an influence on which way I go. What is your price range for an ideal boat?
Thanks for making contact Charles. We are very interested.
From looking at past sales of similar age S31s I can say that they are within our budget. So much depends on upgrades, replacements and condition. If you want to sound us out about the possibility of selling your boat, we are very happy to have an exploratory conversation with you. My email is chris@chrishammond.email and phone numbers 01803 865780 or 07753353399

New temporary member
Hi Chris
We have a moody 31 mk 1 which we are now looking at selling on as we are planning to go to a larger boat. We have spent quite a lot on her over the last two years so she is quite sorted and generrally in good condition for her hear
New temporary member
Hi Chris
We have a moody 31 mk 1 bilge keel based at gosport. We are in the process of upgrading to a much larger moody and so she will be for sale. We have had a lot of work done over the past two years so she is quite up together with new heating system, new wind generator new cooker etc and lots of other work bringing her up to a good standard.
Not sure what your budget is but these boats in good condition seem to start at around 25k.
Happy to let you have a look at her even though she is not actually for sale yet.
kind regards Alan

New temporary member
Hi Chris

Sorry I didnt give you any contact details about the moody 31 based gosport
Alan Dale tel 07771 653047 or email alan@tangleyfarm.co.uk

New temporary member

Dear Chris
are you now suited? I have a very well maintained M31 Mk 2 bilge keeper with wheel steering for sale.
yours
Martin

Dear Chris
are you now suited? I have a very well maintained M31 Mk 2 bilge keeper with wheel steering for sale.
yours
Martin
Hi Martin
Yes, we are sorted not with a very nice S31. Thanks for asking

Back