David Hemsley

David Hemsley
Berth
Hamble
Boat type
Searching for a Moody
Cruising area
Solent
1995 Moody S31 Empty Sky for sale. Moored on Hamble River, Southampton Water. Empty Sky started life in the hands of Moody UK brokers, and has a Lloyds registered hull and Part 1 (commercial) registration (which has been maintained). Her various owners have all lavished money, care and attention, which means that she is presented in very good order.

Bad bits: The aluminium strip on the topsides has some scuffing that occurred during rafting and the engine has a small oil leak on a fitting (which the previous owner ‘cured’ by fitting a small plastic container under it – cleaned once a year during annual service cockpit – so it’s still there!). The wash boards will need a re-varnish soon. The lazy jacks and stack-pack could do with some minor attention to ropes and stitching and that’s about it.

The rest is good: Original sales paperwork, invoices, builders cert available, and a very good invoice maintenance trail, with all manuals in lever arch folders. Running rigging replaced 2014, and some more thereafter. Standing rigging replaced 2015, sails replaced with Hyde tri-radial using a very strong and durable cruising laminate fabric: Fully battened mail, RF Genoa, 2009. The original sails are still in good order and used as spares. She has a beautiful red, white and blue cruising chute with an amazing snuffer plus (never used?) orange storm sails. Empty Sky sails very well and with her fully battened tri-radial sails she’s fast. I’ve had twin line reefing lines fitted to the first two reefing points. With this system you can sail under genoa, let the boom out and firstly pull down the luff with one rope and clutch it off. Then set the foot as you wish with the other rope (to get the sail shape right), tighten the luff then pull in the main. Easy!

I undertook a comprehensive refit when I bought her in 2014. This included replacing the Perspex in all of the windows and hatches, fitting new Garmin instrumentation: Wireless wind (with vertical GWind propeller), depth, log, with a beautiful NMEA 2000 751 GPSMap plotter with map G2 Vision card that overlays satellite images of the land, and photos of key locations (like entrances to ports). Two colour multi-screen Garmin GM120 display units. All this navigation equipment is neatly mounted above the companion way in clear view of the helm. JRC 1000 Mk2 radar also viewable from the helm. The plotter is linked to a Simrad TP10 tiller steering system, with a tack function and well as ‘go to’ and ‘route to’ options (the latter especially useful for single handed sailing). iCom DSC radio with new speaker fitted in the cockpit that switches between VHF and BBC Radio 4 (other stations are available, so I’m told). WIFI ONBOAD and mast mounted antenna for internet access at sea (requires a data only SIM card). Independent Garmin GPS with low power anchor watch, CD player with radio at nav station. Domestic batteries replaced 2016 with two Yuasa marine M31-100 domestic and a one marine M27-90 engine battery, all charged either using mains power using an onboard charger or via an Adverc voltage regulating system connected to the engine alternator for optimal engine charging. Battery voltage/current and charge meter in rear cabin.

Engine serviced annually, new filters oil etc. Engine and hull anodes replaced last year. Volvo Penta 2020, 19hp sail-drive, new propeller 2017, additional inline fuel filter/water separator, fuel tank removed and reconditioned in 2014. HMI exhaust temperature alarm The engine starts first time every time and has been 100% reliable. New Vetus morse lever fitted that enables you to adjust boat speed with your foot when mooring (the previous one was not only sticky, it had a button that you had to press).

Cockpit seat teak replaced and are in excellent order, new calorifier in 2014, new removable floor boards in the spacious cock-pit locker. The curtains and seat covers were all replaced in 2014. She has an Ardic diesel boat heater with three outlets in each cabin. This heater was totally overhauled in 2014 (foolishly, at more than the cost of a new one!).

There's the usual safety stuff including danbouy, horseshoe float with light, MOB sling and a SEAGO liferaft that I paid a ridiculous amount to be refitted/overhaulded, then they only gave me a one year's certificate (which ended last year I think). You live and learn. It has a Rocna anchor, 5m chain and 45m of anchor plaite (to keep the nose weight down). The chain is still available, but I broke my wheel-barrow lugging to the shed. My car hasn't been the same since either! The saildrive seal was replaced by the previous owner, and he installed separate raw water intake (and sea cock, which has just been replaced) with hull grid to reduce the likelihood of blockage (and it's never blocked for me).

Empty Sky is moored on a central pontoon mooring on the Hamble river, so viewing is not easy! Top sides buffed and gleaming at the beginning of the season and re-antifouled (two year coating) April 2018.

There’s more, but fingers are sore! I've attached some photo below, but please note that these have been taken since 2014. The photos of the hull, however, were taken earlier in 2018.

I’m happy to chat, provide photos, and if you are in a position to buy then we’ll arrange a viewing. Weather permitting, this will involve meeting you at Warsash harbour master’s pontoon and going for a sail. Otherwise its a water taxi to her berth. £39,500 (for the boat, not the viewing!).

David and Pam Hemsley

2014-15 winter refit:
  • Vetus engine control morse level replacement.
  • Ardi heater service, exhaust replacement, new heater ducting.
  • Fuel tank rebuild, repaint.
  • Calorifier replacement, replumbed, 240v junction box replacement.
  • Locker floorboard replacement, repaint throughout.
  • Cockpit speaker repacement.
  • Liferaft servive (Viking).
  • Danbouy Oscar flag replacement.
  • Compainion way instruments replaced, black aluminium instrument panel made (Garmin GPSMap 751, G2 Visiion, GNI20 x2, GND10, gWind wireless wind. New log and depth sensors fitted to hull. Simrad autopilot (NMEA 1083) connection to plotter. JCR 1000 Mk2 radar repositioned to coach roof. AIS wired to plotter. Chart table Garmin GPS left as low current anchor watch and independent position for chartwork.
  • Mixer tap and shower fitting replaced.
  • Madeto measure mirror, bathroon sealed rear side.
  • Jabsco pump unit replaced, and again in 2017.
  • Loo roll holder, cup and holder replaced.
  • Sink drain, plug and chain replaced.
  • Full engine and saildrive service.
  • Bilges cleaned and repainted. (Keel bolts had been removed and inspected by previous owner).
  • Water tanks fitted with inspection hatches then cleaned and sterilised (repeated annually). Note that these previously sealed black plastic tanks had a bright yellow fugus on the insides that wiped off easily, but made me very glad I did this job!
  • New WEMA water level sensor and meter.
  • Nelson cooker removed, cleaned and replaced, with aluminium surrounds painted.
  • Sanded and revarnished woodwork on campanion way steps.
  • Tiller and wash-boards stripped, sanded and revarnished with two-part International "prefection". New washboard cam lock.
  • All sole boards removed, sanded and revarnished using International two-pack primer and International satin finish (8 coats in total).
  • Sail drive rubbed down, aluminium primed, Tri-lux prop-o-drev coating, hull sanded and re anti-fouled, annualy repeated. (The previous owner has the full taken back to gel-coat, keel back to metal, and re-primed, antifoul. Photos available).
  • All unholstery replaced (Agua Classic Tuscany 3497-68)
  • All curtains replaced.
  • Cock-pit seat covers, cover for tiller.
  • This refit cost in excess of £10,000.
  • Rewired engine exhast alarm to engine relay fuse box.
  • Fuel tank calibration
  • All perspex windows and perspect in hatches removed and replaced.
  • Replaced Simrad VHF with iCom (I found that it had been programmed with the wrong MMSI number!)
  • Three new YUASA batteries fitted.
  • ROCNA anchor, 5m chain and 45m of anchor warp fitted to reduce bow weight (it works very well, and is easy to retrieve).
  • Full engine/saildrive service, water tanks sterilised, antifoul, anodes where necessary.
  • Replaced Moody stainless steel letters on Hull, hull polished.
  • Fitted teak magazine rack above chart table.
  • Fitted twin line reefing to reffs 1 (red) and 2 (green)
  • Full engine service and antifoul, replace anodes where necessary. Cleaned heat exchanger.
  • New chute sheets.
  • In excess £3000 of improvements in 2015/16
  • New genoa sheets (small eyes and sft shackle to avoild bowlines fouling on rigging).
  • Standing rigging inspected and much of it replaced.
2017/18 work

• Full engine/saildrive service, water tanks sterilised, antifoul, anodes where necessary.
  • Topsides and coachroof polished.
  • WI-Fi onboard fitted with spreader mounted antenna.

david.hemsley123@gmail.com
IMG_3712.JPG IMG_5338.JPG IMG_4194.JPG IMG_4095.JPG IMG_1401.JPG IMG_1461.JPG IMG_1487.JPG IMG_1488 2.JPG IMG_1489.JPG IMG_1490.JPG IMG_1401.JPG IMG_3625.JPG IMG_3712 2.JPG IMG_6532.JPG IMG_3891.JPG IMG_3892.JPG IMG_3895.JPG IMG_3896.JPG IMG_4277.JPG IMG_6537.JPG IMG_3891.JPG IMG_3892.JPG

Attachments

Last edited: