1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moody33 Mk2

Discussion in 'Thinking of buying a Moody ask a question here' started by Mark Roberts, 3/1/18.

1. Mark Roberts

Mark Roberts Mark Roberts Temporary Member

hi I’m thinking of buying a moody 33 mk2 is there any thing that I need to look out for in particular and what are your thoughts on this boat cheers.

2. Peter Sims

Peter Sims Peter Sims

Boat name:
    SIRI
    Berth:
    Ocean Quay Marina, Southampton
    Boat type:
    Moody 44
    Cruising area:
    Ionian
    Hi Mark
    I will kick things off as no one has replied yet. My previous boat was a 33 Mk1 because I preferred the layout down below to the Mk2.
    These are old boats so a lot will depend on the condition of what you end up with. Engine, tanks and electrics will be important items to look at. If the engine is original it is getting on a bit but well maintained and it will still have life in it. Mine was a 1976 boat and the engine was running well when I sold it mid 2016. Fuel tanks are mild steel and will eventually rot through at the bottom. Many have failed but mine from 1976 was still fine last year. Electrics will either have been replaced or be a bit of a mess from additions over the years. Probably something you will want to sort out.
    Sails and rigging will probably have been replaced more than once but make sure they are good or budget to replace.
    Original prop was small and 2 bladed. Many have been upgraded but if not you should probably budget for it.
    Leaks around hatches and deck fittings are an ongoing maintenance job but look signs of anything serious that has not been sorted.
    Osmosis is always a concern on boats this age but Moody's were pretty well made. Even if there is some blistering or high moisture levels it is not the end of the world.
    Keel studs should be looked at carefully in the bilge. They are mild steel and, if neglected, the nuts and backing plates will be badly corroded. Usually the corrosion is only superficial but it may be the backing plates are failing and need replacing. Actually a simple job with the boat ashore and there is plenty of information on the technical pages here to help you.
    These are good boats that sail well and provide excellent accommodation for their size. Hope you find one to suit you.
    Regards
    Peter

3. Mark Roberts

Mark Roberts Mark Roberts Temporary Member

Thanks Peter would you know how much it would cost to change water and fuel tanks

4. Peter Sims

Peter Sims Peter Sims

Boat name:
    SIRI
    Berth:
    Ocean Quay Marina, Southampton
    Boat type:
    Moody 44
    Cruising area:
    Ionian
    Hi Mark
    I avoided mentioning as they are different Mk1 to Mk2 and because I didn't need to change much.
    On the Mk1 and most other Moody's the fuel tank is mild steel. Many people have had to change due rusting from the inside out. Mine was still OK when I sold the boat.
    Water tank on a Mk1 is moulded into the hull side under the quarter berth. This suffers from osmosis as you would expect but easy to sort out. Not sure where tank is on a Mk2 so can't comment I'm afraid
    Hopefully a Mk2 owner will come along soon to give you accurate advice!
    Regards
    Peter