Moody 40/42 (late 90s early 00s) Moody42CC

Tobias Törnebohm

Tobias Törnebohm
Registered Guest
Hello
I am looking to buy a Moody 42 (or maybe 44). I do like the interior very much. My main questions are:
1. How it is to sail. Performance. "Feeling" behind the steering whell etc. I do understand its not a boat for racing, but I still want a boat which is reasonable fun to sail.
2. Regarding Space behind the steeringwheel. Any comments about it ? To tight ? Okey standing there steering for hours ??
Tobias törnebohm
From sweden

Peter Sims

Peter Sims
Boat name
SIRI
Berth
Lefkas Marina
Boat type
Moody 44 (90s)
Cruising area
Ionian
Hi Tobias
I cannot speak for a 42 but also imagine it is not much different to my M44 to sail.
Mine is shoal draft and sails beautifully except hard on the wind in light airs when she makes a lot of leeway. Still feels good but the leeway is frustrating! Overall she is very light on the helm with good "feel" and holds a course well when the rig is set up properly. One finger on the wheel is all that is needed up to F4. Once in 2018 I set her up and put the autopilot on. Wandered around the boat looking at scenery, went below to make coffee, took some photos. After about 45 minutes I noticed we were about 15 degrees off course and blamed the autopilot, then realised it wasn't engaged. Obviously I'd only pressed the button in my imagination.
Biggest wind I've been in so far is F7 when she handled nicely with both sails well reefed. Mostly dry in the cockpit and a comfortable angle of heel.
White sails are easy to handle from the cockpit and the foredeck is plenty big enough to deal easily with a cruising chute.
Space behind the helm is adequate but no more. I've helmed by hand for a couple of hours at a time but no more as I usually use the autopilot. It's perfectly comfortable and easy to wedge yourself in when going to windward.
Down below the 42 and 44 are quite different. I wanted the 3rd sleeping cabin forward and no pilot cabin which is why I went for the 44. We love the interior layout and style. Transom arrangement is also quite different so you need to make your own decisions on these.
Regards
Peter

Duncan Hall

Duncan Hall
Boat name
GOOSE
Berth
Mayflower, Plymouth
Boat type
Moody 42
Cruising area
South Coast
I have a 42 and find plenty of space behind the wheel. However I am a fairly average sized chap! I can hand steer for hours but as a rule as I tend to use the autopilot.

Its fun to sail but it needs more than a F3 to get going. In a F5 or F6 its fun. I have sailed her in a F8 and the boat handled fine. She holds her sails well no need to reef until 20kn but she does sail better if you reef slightly earlier.

Regards

Duncan