Moody 47 Nav Displays

• Thread starter Christine Crawford
  • Start date
C

Christine Crawford

I see that a lot of Moody photos online show the nav displays mounted above the companionway. Is there a way to mount the chart plotter and other displays by the helm? I would like to see the data instantly while I am at the helm.

Hi Christine,

You can mount your instruments wherever you want, it's just a matter of routing the cables to your preferred position. Various suppliers sell pods for mounting instruments on the stainless hoop above the compass binnacle and most folk who do this replace the vertical hoop with one angled forward.

Nearly all yachts have speed, depth and wind instruments over the hatchway so that the whole crew, or at least all those in the cockpit, can see them - they're readable from the helm. Plotters are normally sited either at the chart table or at the helm with the latter choice becoming increasingly popular. All the plotters I know will give repeat indication of the speed, depth and wind indications via the NMEA 2000 data network.

Any marine electrician will be able to site any of your instruments wherever you want.

Peter.

Hi Christine
We have a very expensive Navpod at the helm with plotter and all other instruments mounted in it. The plotter is a repeater to the identical model at the chart table. Until a previous owner installed this the wind / speed / depth had been over the companionway. All very efficient and easy to handle but I would prefer the instruments to be in their old positions and the plotter to be on the coachroof under the spray hood. It's far too easy to spend your time at the helm watching the plotter to the exclusion of everything else. The only ones I would keep at the helm are autopilot and bow thruster controls. Since we spend a lot of time with the autopilot steering it would be much simpler to look at everything else from forward of the wheel.
Regards
Peter

Back