Moody 36 (80s) Opportunity to crew with existing 36cc or 376cc owner

Pat Moloney

Pat Moloney
Temporary Member
Hi there, I've been researching suitable boats and layout preference for over six months and the Moody36cc or 376cc are a very good match for my requirements. I'm currently fractional owner in Bavaria 36 (probably anathema to mention on this forum but hoping I'll be forgiven as newbie!) but looking to take next step for purchase / full ownership of own boat in next twelve months for more extended sailing intentions. However I've not sailed on a Moody and never sailed on cc boat. I was wondering if there are any existing owners of those models in the Southampton or Portsmouth areas that might facilitate a day sail with additional and willing hand so that I could get real world experience crewing on one of these? Any help or guidance appreciated.

Bill Oliver

Bill Oliver
Boat name
TALADH A CUAN
Berth
Ardfern
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Cruising area
West Scotland
If it helps - I’d never been on board a CC boat before buying our 1998 36 let alone sailed one..

Our 36 is a nice place to stay. Very comfortable for the two of us with very good stowage, good galley and cozy. Stepping down from a 40 ft Bendy Toy the cockpit is neat, safe and secure at sea with everything to hand. I do find it a bit narrow for my shoulders when crashed out in the sunshine at anchor though which was the same issue I had with the Stbd saloon seat- problem solved by making an in fill for the port side which is now our super comfy chill out spot.

They are superb boats In harbour and at sea.

Pat Moloney

Pat Moloney
Temporary Member
Thanks for update Bill & reassuring that that it was good transition to cc without prior experience with one previously. I've not been to view any yet as wanted to narrow down possibilities initially to match requirements/budget. From access perspective to view hull internally on 36 is there easy access to bulkhead & chainplate connections or would cutout's be needed to check/view those? Thanks again for earlier response.:)

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Pat,

While that thread is applicable to chainplates on the M376, I believe the M36 (circa1990's) has a completely different arrangement to secure the chainplates.

Peter.

Pat Moloney

Pat Moloney
Temporary Member
Thx Peter - it's taken quite few months of screening boat models to eventually narrow down to either M36cc or M376cc and it doesn't surprise me they're different - at least the insightful information on chainplate thread is very helpful for awareness of areas that potentially need attention on older models.

Bill Oliver

Bill Oliver
Boat name
TALADH A CUAN
Berth
Ardfern
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Cruising area
West Scotland
Have a search for Moody 36 Stemball attachments - all the info you need is here.

Patrick Fleming

Patrick Fleming
Boat name
EUREKA
Berth
East Ferry, Cork Harbour, Ireland
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Cruising area
Ireland / Uk / France
Hi Pat.
There was slight differences over the years in the interior build of the M36.
Mine is an early one (Sept '96) and there is no access to the chain plates without assaulting the woodwork around where the plate is attached to the hull.
On later ones the woodwork was screwed together and reasonable easy to dismantle.
I came from a long line of aft cockpit boats but loved the idea of the aft cabin.
The only downside I would say is how far you are from the side deck when berthing at a marina but then I often sail solo.
The aft deck and stern allow very easy access to the dinghy.
If you happen to visit Ireland you'll be very welcome to try mine out.

Best of luck,

Pat

Stuart Wineberg

Stuart Wineberg
Boat name
MOODY BLUE
Berth
Ocean Village
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Cruising area
Channel Coast
We’re now based at Royal Clarence. Diaries willing very happy to have you on board for a sail on our M36cc
Stuart