Moody 31 Original Engine (VP2003)

Lorraine Yates

Lorraine Yates
Registered Guest
I am looking to purchase a Moody 31 Mk1 but have been tying myself in knots worrying about the age of the original engine (VP2003 - 33 years and about 4k hrs). Can it ever be the case that a well maintained engine can just be rebuilt/repaired indefinately or is there a time when it will just need replacing completely. Any advice would really be appreciated. Many thanks :)

Pete Rowland

Peter Rowland
Boat name
APRIL LASS
Berth
Gosport
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Solent
Lorraine welcome to the MOA. There are quite a few of us with the original 2003 engine all in a similar position. The good news is that it was built by Volvo themselves as a marine engine. Generally they are quite reliable but there is a spline issue between the gearbox and flywheel carrier. Worth googling the problem. We had ours converted 8 years ago by http://www.dbmarine.co.uk/ms2.php

The other issue is the cold starting. So do, some don't start on the button. The lack of modern engine glow plugs doesn't help.

Those issues aside, Volvo made a huge number of the 2XXX series in both 1, 2, 3 and 3 Turbo cylinder versions. So the supply cost of spares from the after market suppliers is both good and reasonably priced.

Whilst a replacement new engine is likely to be £6k, there are lots second hand options available including a replacement 2003 for about £1800 and of course it would a straight drop in rather than needing new engine bearers, prop and possibly the shaft. http://www.marineenterprisesltd.co.uk/

We have over 3000 hours on ours and so long as it continues to work, I just service it each year. It could easily go on for another decade as some of the even older Volvo engines continue to do. I think its the bits on the outside that need attention rather than the actual block, things like exhaust riser, injectors, thermostat etc.

It the yacht and engine you are looking at if it starts easily, runs up to hull speed say 6.5 knots and doesn't smoke once warmed up then it should be good to go. A rusty, smokey lump with oil leaks on the other hand would naturally warrant a reduced offer.

Pete

Lorraine Yates

Lorraine Yates
Registered Guest
Thank you Pete that's really appreciated ... the engine we are looking at looks awesome but with the absence of xray specs it's really hard to take a leap of faith :) :)

Geoff Binfield

Geoff Binfield
Boat name
IANTHE
Berth
Lossiemouth
Boat type
Moody 31 MkII
Cruising area
Scotland
Lorraine I fully concur with Pete’s take on the 2003. When we bought our 31 Mk2 (fantastic boat) 15 years ago the engine was difficult for winter cold starting and I just put it down to the engine type with no glows as it always started well when warm. I always used the cold start process but still had difficulty. Eventually I had an engineer with lots of Volvo experience check the engine over and he found a broken spring within the cold start unit. Since that was replaced and the mechanism adjusted it has started instantly every time, even in the middle of winter. We average 150 hours per year and it just keeps performing exactly as it should. Good luck

Geoff