Non Boat Specific Original sales invoice from 1988

• Thread starter Ray Prowse
  • Start date
R

Ray Prowse

Hello - looking at buying a Moody yacht originally supplied in 1988 but owner hasn't yet produced original sales invoice or copy thereof although says he has it.
Having had problems before by not having this document - although later overcome - with regards to proof of vat payment I'm keen to obtain and wonder whether the association either has or knows of a register of this information.
All suggestions gratefully received.
Ray

You need the original invoice- HMRC will not be able to provide one and there is no central register of VAT invoices.
I had this problem on a previous boat I was trying to buy......AFTER I had paid for a survey the broker told me that the owner could not find the original invoice......I walked away as the owner would not drop the price by 20%.....(the potential VAT liability)
My advice is to get eyes on the original invoice before you proceed........ I cant see any reason the owner wont show it to you........ hummm....

All this being said...... I do not know of ANYONE who has travelled to europe and been required to show proof of VAT status.

If you are going through a broker get him to get the paper work in order......

Fair winds

Some Moody 31s were finished by Princess Yachts in Plymouth and Princess used to have all the old invoices and could produce a copy on request. Some, of which mine is one, were finished at Swanwick and they haven't got the old invoices.
If you know the hull number then the Tech section, under Moody 31s, includes a list showing details of where the hulls went to.

Some Moody 31s were finished by Princess Yachts in Plymouth and Princess used to have all the old invoices and could produce a copy on request. Some, of which mine is one, were finished at Swanwick and they haven't got the old invoices.
If you know the hull number then the Tech section, under Moody 31s, includes a list showing details of where the hulls went to.

I am trying to establish proof of VAT for a 1987 M31 and I'm struggling to locate this in the Tech section Roger, can you provide a link please?

It is not uncommon for original documents to have been lost along the way, particularly for older boats.

It is my understanding (I stand to be corrected if wrong) that VAT will be less of an issue after Brexit as VAT will no longer be applicable in the EU (unless of course the boat is in the EU on Brexit day). Boats visiting the EU after Brexit will be subject to the 18 month temporary importation rules, beyond that they will be subject to EU VAT irrespective of whether or not UK VAT has been paid. As far as HMRC are concerned, by law they cannot charge VAT twice therefor they need to prove that VAT has not been paid which, for reasons outlined above, they cannot do, I have been down this route and that was their response.

However, that said, ownership documents are important and at the very least you should obtain Bills of Sale from previous ownership. If the owner claims he has these documents but is refusing to show them to you, I would be very suspicious and even be prepared to walk away.

Steve

I am trying to establish proof of VAT for a 1987 M31 and I'm struggling to locate this in the Tech section Roger, can you provide a link please?
Under Princess Records. The best thing might be to email Princess with your hull number and build date and ask them if they have a copy of the original sales invoice.

It is not uncommon for original documents to have been lost along the way, particularly for older boats. Steve

Also, there may be more than one invoice. We have about a dozen as each stage payment was made and others for the accessories.

Hi,

!0 years ago. we were fortunate enough to get a copies of build certificates for our M425 from Marine Projects - the lady who found them for us was Karisse Smaldon, I don't know if she's still there. She also told us that tthe boat was sold as stocj to Holt Leisure Parks, owners of Kip Marina. Speaking to Kip Marina, I then manged to get photocopies of the Bill of Sale and VAT invoice for the sale in 1989 from Kip Marina to the original owners. Now, 10 years further on, I doubt we would be so lucky.

Peter.

After some detective work I found and spoke to one of the original co-owners who told me the purchase was made through a company of which they were directors. Their accountants dealt with everything, including the marine mortgage, but the accountants don't appear to be trading any more and the company subsequently went into administration so I think that's a blind alley - unless I can track down the mortgage company.

I have emailed Princess and given them the yard number for the boat so fingers crossed there. Back in 1996 they wrote to the previous owner to confirm that VAT was paid at 15% in 1987 by AH Moody & Son Ltd. I have this letter which states that they hold copies of documentary evidence - hopefully they still do.

Interesting to see the Princess records on here and to find the boat listed - all hand written and a priceless bit of history.

Hi Steve,

Therein lies the problem, and the lack of real significance of an original VAT receipt. Of course AH Moody paid VAT to Marine Projects, but it's without doubt that they also claimed that VAT back as they would have been levying more VAT from customers than they were paying to suppliers.. Since those first owners bought her through their Company, it's highly likely that their Company was registered for VAT and also claimed the VAT back (the key motivation for buying through a Company) so, most likely, until the first owners sold her, she would have been a VAT not paid vessel.

Peter.

Back