MOOD CHANGER
Berth
Falmouth
Boat type
Moody S31
Cruising area
Wales
Hello
i am just in the process of buying a moody 31, it is a private sale so no broker involved, the current owner has owned the boat from new,
my question is what paperwork should i have on completion,
if he has the original bill of sale showing VAT has been paid does that satisfy vat status
I also understand i need to check that no one else has a interest in the boat, i have looked online and from what i understand i need a transcript of registrar,
i have been on the government Webb site but dont seem to be able to find where to get the transcript of registrar from,
is the any other documents i would need,
Many Thanks
John

Chris Burn

Chris Burn
Boat name
Cristobella
Boat type
Moody 34
Cruising area
North Wales / Irish Sea
Check out the RYA , they have change of ownership advice and contracts, all good.
The boat may also be registered, and will have a SSR number, this you just register to yourself along with the owner handing in his registration., And also, if the vessel has a radio vhf you need to apply for the mmsi number to have your details, the mmsi number stays with the boat.
Remember that you must check everything for yourself in a boat purchase ( most get a surveyor to help) and if you buy one that turns into a nightmare it is generally going to be your tough luck,
Good luck with the purchase

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi John,

Terminology is important here. Probably the most important document is a VAT receipt showing the amount paid, the amount of VAT paid and the VAT registration no. of the vendor, issued in a member state of the EU (probably the UK in your case). It must be the original, not a copy. This is not a bill of sale, a document which is not required to include the full price paid (it may just say "a consideration" on that line) and will not mention VAT. An example Bill of Sale form from the RYA website:

Registration may be on Part 1, the traditional ship register, which is lengthy, expensive and typically only done for a particular reason such as wanting to take out a mortgage on the vessel or Part 3, the small ship register, which is easy, fairly cheap, but apparently not subject to much checking, so of questionable value. As there is no requirement to register a UK leisure boat, many yachts are not registered at all, see here:

In theory, the vendor should not give you his VHF radio licence, as it was issued to him in person, but it is helpful to get a lok at it to verify the yacht's current MMSI, which, as Chris writes, you need to get transferred onto a licence issued to you, surprisingly for free.

Of no legal value would be a copy of the most recent survey of the vessel and as much as you can get of her maintenance history. Good, even though it rarely exists, would be a wiring diagram, including any additions or changes since built.

Peter

John Spooner

John Spooner
Boat name
MOOD CHANGER
Berth
Falmouth
Boat type
Moody S31
Cruising area
Wales
Hi Chris/Peter