General Passage berth info'

Kev Nicholson

Kev Nicholson
Registered Guest
Hi, we are a family of 4 (occasionally 5), looking to buy a Moody in Greece to live aboard. Kids are 10, 14 and the visiting one 17. We'd like to have our own space if possible to keep harmony! Looking at CC Moodys in the 38 - 44 range, depending on model, some seem to have a "corridor" where the passage berth is that can be closed off to make a single/ bunk room. Can anyone enlighten me on the practicalities of this for our 10 year son as a "room". Often the pics in adverts seem to overlook this area, and the plans are hard to go by. Ideally the boat would be sub 40ft, but happy to go bigger if we have to. Thanks in advance!
P.S. Currently in N. Devon and selling our Westerly Tempest.

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Kev,

In my view, yachts of the size you're considering are a tight fit a a family home for 4, sometimes 5 people. Your youngest may be 10 at the moment, but I assume you're planning for more than 1 year as liveaboards, so he could easily be in his teens towards the end of ownership.

The passage cabins on all of these Moodys form the principal walk through to access the aft cabin, however, on most if not all, there is an alternative access through the aft heads. However, on the M425 at least, if someone is working in the galley, either they must move out of the way or you get to the heads by walking aft through the passage cabin, then back forward from the aft cabin - all quite acceptable on a month's cruise, but I'm not so sure I would want to put up with this as a permanent living arrangement. The other downside of the passage cabins, as a room to live in, is that there is very little stowage beyond the (limited) under bunk space.

The M44 is a step ahead of all the others in having a similar 2 bunk cabin up forward - the forward heads being shared with the foc'sle V-berth. That would seem to suit your family better allowing 1 child to have the foc'sle, another the forward bunk cabin which could be shared with the occasional 3rd. when you are 5 people. There is a layout which doesn't feature this forward bunk cabin but, although it's the best imho, it's pretty rare.

The other issue for all these boats is that the cockpit accommodates just four people when sailing - we have squeezed more around the table to eat in port or at anchor, but tacking the boat is not practicable with more than 4 in the cockpit.

Note that this is only my perception, you and your family may well be happy living close together, We find our M425 comfortable for cruising with anywhere between 4 and 5 adults on board and occasional trips of up to a week with 4 adults and 2 or 3 children. For a liveaboard, I would prefer a sailing barge!

Happy hunting and I hope you find something to suit your needs.

Peter

Neil Eccles

Neil Eccles
General Committee
GC Support Team
MOA Position
Website Editor
Boat name
CUTAWAY
Berth
Vannes
Boat type
Moody 42
Cruising area
West Coast of France and North Coast Of Spain
Hi Kev,

Peter's round up above is perfect, just to amplify, our passage cabin next to the engine could just accommodate an adult with the use of the "trotter box" which effectively removes the port wardrobe. Not a good idea for harmony. Thus we call it the "Midshipman's Berth". Good for a small person up to say 10 years old, but a bit cramped after that. Also that walk through serves as one of the main engine access points, so privacy is not great. The M44 or a M46/47 with a forecabin and a bunk bed cabin forward would be a better bet.

Good luck

Kindest

Neil

Peter Sims

Peter Sims
Boat name
SIRI
Berth
Lefkas Marina
Boat type
Moody 44 (90s)
Cruising area
Ionian
Hi Kev
I agree completely with Peter and Neil above. We are a couple with a 4 year old child. We wanted a 3 cabin boat so that we had a "spare room" although it is often a junk store / playroom. The 44 is the smallest of the modern Moody's with 3 distinct cabins. In a few of the later models the passage cabin was replaced by a dressing room and that was the layout we went for. Gives an extra wardrobe in the aft cabin, lots of draw space and an impression of a much larger aft cabin. For what it's worth we also didn't like the saloon layout with 2 armchairs to starboard so have the central table and settees on both sides. With the table open it is huge and we can even have a train set out on it!
Regards
Peter

Peter Wright

Peter Wright
Boat name
WILD THYME
Berth
Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
North Sea, English Channel, Biscay
Hi Kev,

Neil's right, you'd get even more room in a M46/47, but those boats are quite a step up from even the M44 in terms of both price and complexity of systems to be maintained.

Peter.

Kev Nicholson

Kev Nicholson
Registered Guest
Thank you for the very informative replies - much appreciated. It confirms what I suspected.
I really like Moody's and the older solidly built boats for all the obvious reasons. I thought the 425 was going to be the one!
The easy option is to go for a 3 cabin Med cruiser around 40ft of which there are 100's available, but I think we'd struggle to love one.
I'm guessing that stowage would be limited as they are more set up for a 2 week cruise and what you gain in cabin space you lose in stowage.
( I should point out that we are fairly new to all this and have only ever owned a 31ft Westerly).
It's a bit of a dilemma and something will have to give as we don't have unlimited funds, but ultimately it seems we are going to need a bigger boat!
Thanks again and any more advice gladly received.

Kev.

Patrick Fleming

Patrick Fleming
Boat name
EUREKA
Berth
East Ferry, Cork Harbour, Ireland
Boat type
Moody 36(90s)
Cruising area
Ireland / Uk / France
Hi Kevin,
I know you're looking for something bigger but here is my experience of a Moody with a passage cabin.
I have a 36. In mine the passage cabin trotter box is permanent and is built into the bottom of a locker in the aft cabin.
From my experience, 'own space' is very important to teenagers ashore but from what I've read of families circling the globe, it doesn't seem as important to those afloat.
My previous boats were 21ft and 26ft so I think the 36 could swallow an army.
Most of the time I sail with just my wife and myself and the odd time with another couple aboard, however I sailed her home from Italy to Ireland over 7 weeks and had a minimum of 3 adults. Between Minorca and Alicante (12 days) I had 5 adults aboard. For 1 night I had 6 availing of accommodation while tied up.
I'd let them pick their own sleeping space while I drew the short straw to keep my crew happy. Nearly every time someone would take the passage cabin.
However I bought the boat with the thought of having two couples aboard, one aft and one forward which I still think it's ideal for. I wouldn't like any more than this for say more than 4-5 days.
I think the passage cabin is nice and will give some privacy to a teenager but really only when sleeping.
I found myself mostly using the heads to access the aft cabin as it seemed to be occupied less often than the galley and still do even when I'm sailing solo.
Remember that in the med the deck space will be used much more than in northern Europe. I spent much of the time eating, reading etc under a bimini (which had removable side panels for shade when moored) until I got to northern Spain and really only cooked and slept down below.
I've had 6 sitting for lunch in the cockpit using the folding table to hold the food & drink while eating off their laps.
John Rodriguez, his wife and children sailed around the world on a Moody 38 and might be able to help with advice.
John is a yacht broker on the south coast of the UK (www.jryachts.com)
Best of luck with whatever you go for.

Pat

Tim Sealy

Tim Sealy
Boat name
PIERINA
Berth
Italy
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
Mediteranean
Hi Kev,

Peter and the others detail it all very well.
In My view the 44 layout that Peter mentions would be preferable but I wouldn't dismiss the 425 altogether. We have a 12 and 13 year and have been cruising for a few years now and we make it work.
As always there's compromises to make but we have even accommodated on a number of occasions, other families of four joining us for a few weeks at a time which has been great fun, albeit cramped and you then need to use the saloon bunks too which is never ideal, there's more on sailingpierina.com or just let me know if you have any other particular queries. all the best in whatever you decide

Tim

Frank Schultealbert

Frank Schultealbert
Boat name
SEPTEMBERMORN
Berth
Blankenberge, Belgium
Boat type
Moody 425
Cruising area
Northern Europe, English Channel
I watched a German Family doing a circumnavigation on a lot smaller yacht. Theyr oldest son somewhere 16 -17 years and they where ok. I think the 425 could be a suitable home for a family of 4 with a temp no 5 for some weeks. It all depends on what you expect. Being in the meds as Patrick pointed out the deck space is more often used an would think that having an aft sun deck und a fwd deck area give a group of 4 more freedom and privacy then a 3 cabin 40 feet aft cockpit........ Having said that, we look at living on board our 425 with the two of us only and sometimes wonder whether it is big enough..... not sure this feelings has any relation to the real length of a ship.

Robert Thomson

Robert Thomson
Temporary Member
Have you considered older boats such as the 41 or 419 precursors to 422/425? These normally have a separate bunk cabin which is not that big, but a bit better than the passage berth versions.There is a 41 available on here which is a one owner boat with newish engine on the boats for sale page.Only €49k vat exempt. http://www.moodyowners.info/threads/moody-41-cc-1984-for-sale-first-owner-new-price.17100/
An example of a 419 here for reference https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/moody-419/600718.

Last edited:

Kev Nicholson

Kev Nicholson
Registered Guest
Hi Robert, funnily enough that's the very boat that initially inspired me to write the post. Thank you all for your input - it's been really useful.
Kev